[comp.sys.apple2] 3.5" floppy on original //c ?

thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) (11/20/90)

I recently bought an Apple //c with Monitor //c. Although it was clearly
previously unused - it came in the original cartons with factory warranty -
it must be rather old, as I discovered it is the original model.
Silly me! I knew there was a //c and a //c+, but now I find out - reading
the Apple //c Technical Reference Manual - that there are three varieties
of the //c: original, with UniDisk support, and memory expandable.
Is it at all possible to use a 3.5" drive with my //c? With a RAM-based
driver perhaps? I wouldn't mind booting from a 5.25" floppy - that's built
in anyway. I would appreciate any suggestions on this.
I'm also looking for a good communications program. It should at least offer
VT100 emulation and Kermit. Recommendations?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Thomas Okken (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

v060q267@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David B Bandish) (11/23/90)

In article <1132@duteca4.UUCP>, thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes...
>Is it at all possible to use a 3.5" drive with my //c? With a RAM-based
>driver perhaps? I wouldn't mind booting from a 5.25" floppy - that's built
>in anyway. I would appreciate any suggestions on this.

The //c can use a UNIDISK 3.5 disk (as opposed to the Apple 3.5 disk).  If your
unit is too old to use it directly (I think there is a simple peek test, but I'm
not sure what it is) you can ask your dealer for an upgrade to the Unidisk
compatible form.  This is free when you buy the drive from the same dealer. I
got it done on my Apple //c when I got the Unidisk.

>I'm also looking for a good communications program. It should at least offer
>VT100 emulation and Kermit. Recommendations?

The only program that I know of that uses Kermit protocol is Kermit.  I have
Version 3.85(I think) and it does a reasonable VT100 Emulation.  However, it
does not have any macro capability, and can be cumbersome to use.  The help
files are almost non-existant.

>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>Thomas Okken (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

Noprob...

Dave

warren@debra.doc.ca (Warren Baird) (11/24/90)

In article <47389@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v060q267@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <1132@duteca4.UUCP>, thomas@duteca (Thomas Okken) writes...
>
>>I'm also looking for a good communications program. It should at least offer
>>VT100 emulation and Kermit. Recommendations?
>
>The only program that I know of that uses Kermit protocol is Kermit.  I have
>Version 3.85(I think) and it does a reasonable VT100 Emulation.  However, it
>does not have any macro capability, and can be cumbersome to use.  The help
>files are almost non-existant.

ProTERM will do Kermit file transfers, and a reasonable vt100
emulation...  I have a few problems with word wrapping and the like,
but aside from that it's fine.  But if you want a PD program, Kermit
is probably the way to go.

Warren

--
       Warren Baird, 2A Co-op Math Computer Science, U(Waterloo)
   currently: warren@dgbt.doc.ca   ...utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!dgbt!warren

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (11/26/90)

In article <47389@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v060q267@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>does not have any macro capability, and can be cumbersome to use.  The help
>files [for Kermit] are almost non-existant.

A fairly comprehensive (about 96K) help file is available by anonymous
FTP from watsun.cc.columbia.edu.  ~/kermit/a/apple.doc is the file you
want (it's better to cd into the directory first).  They also have
version 3.86; I think it's in ~/kermit/a/apppro.bns.  (You'll need
BinSCII, and probably ShrinkIt as well, to unpack it.)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/