[comp.sys.apple2] seeking terminal emulator for ][+

sanjay@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) (11/24/90)

Hi folks!!

I've only recently subscribed to this newsgroup and haven't seen
anything regarding my questions in the past few hundred messages.

I want to take my Apple ][+ out of storage and let my girlfriend use
it as a terminal to a Unix machine.  The conceptual setup is to run
Kermit on the ][+ and connect to the Unix host via 2400 baud modem.

I've forgotten almost everything about the ][+ but still have the
manuals in a desk 1500 miles away, so my questions may be a little
fundamental.

Questions:
1.  Can a generic Hayes compatible modem be used with the serial port?
    If so, how?
    If not, what is needed?

2.  Is Kermit for the Apple ][+ available?
    Where?  ...anonymous ftp?
    If not, what other terminal programs can be found/purchased?

3.  How would one transfer downloaded ][+ programs from a PC
    compatible to an Apple floppy?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this because she would rather
buy a PC compatible, which she can use for other things, if the
expense is over $200.

Thanks in advance.

--

Sanjay Keshava   Student in the UT Austin Graduate School of Business
    ->|<-        Class of July 1991, Information Systems

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (11/26/90)

In article <40106@ut-emx.uucp> sanjay@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) writes:
>1.  Can a generic Hayes compatible modem be used with the serial port?
>    If so, how?
>    If not, what is needed?

Unless you have a Super Serial Card, your II Plus doesn't yet have a
serial port on it.  If you have one, you can use any external modem
you want, though Hayes compatibility is, of course, recommended.  If
you don't have an SSC, I'd suggest getting an internal modem instead.
I have an Applied Engineering DataLink 2400.  It's the equivalent of
an SSC and a 2400-baud Hayes-compatible modem on one card that fits
inside a II Plus, IIe, or IIGS.  I got mine new for $180; you might
find a used one somewhere for a little less.

>2.  Is Kermit for the Apple ][+ available?
>    Where?  ...anonymous ftp?
>    If not, what other terminal programs can be found/purchased?

Kermit for the Apple II (as for all other versions of Kermit) is
available by anonymous FTP to watsun.cc.columbia.edu.  Other programs
for the Apple II (e.g., Z-Link) are also available by anonymous FTP.

BTW, most telecomm programs these days require ProDOS.  ProDOS, in
turn, requires 64K.  Look at slot 0 in your II Plus.  If a card is
already installed, you probably have 64K.  If not, you'll need to get
a language card.  If you can find one used, it should be
dirt-cheap--probably no more than $20.  I'd imagine they only run
$35-$40 if you have to get a new one (Applied Engineering makes the
Pocket Rocket, but I can't find a price for it).

>3.  How would one transfer downloaded ][+ programs from a PC
>    compatible to an Apple floppy?

If the II Plus already has an SSC, just hook a cable between it and
your MeSsy-DOS box and transfer files at the fastest speed both
machines will support (probably 19.2K).  If you get the internal
modem, though, you can just call one machine with the other and do the
transfer that way.  (One advantage to the DataLink 2400 is that it
comes with its own software on ProDOS disks.  The card itself even
does XMODEM transfers with its firmware, if you have ProDOS running.)

>I don't want to spend a lot of money on this because she would rather
>buy a PC compatible, which she can use for other things, if the
>expense is over $200.

Ugh...what a waste of material when a PC Transporter will turn a II
Plus (or a IIe or IIGS) into an XT-compatible with CGA and 640K of RAM
for around $375.  You'll want to add the cost of an installation kit
(about $20), IBM-type keyboard (don't know what that runs since it's
only required for the II Plus), and 3.5" drive (about $150-$175).
It'll work with most of your II Plus's existing hardware and cost a
whole lot less than a new MeSsy-DOS box.  (Better yet, get a RamFactor
instead of a language card, stick a megabyte on it, put it in slot 0,
and get AppleWorks.  That'll take care of most of your friend's
computing needs without having to get another computer.)

BTW, all this is based on the assumption that you already have an
80-column card in the II Plus.  If not, you will need one for Kermit,
AppleWorks, and almost any other serious Apple II program available.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/