[comp.sys.apple2] ULTIMA VI FOR THE APPLE II?

HL00@Lehigh (11/20/90)

If you look carefully in the Programs Plus's ad in the December issue
of A+/Incider (yeah, the issue with the Mac), you'll notice that under
Origin Systems, there's Ultima VI!!  Is this for real or is this a
printing mistake.  I though Origin decided not to make one for the
Apple II because the program was simply too big.  Is this old news or
what?  I haven't seen any ads from Origin yet...

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/21/90)

In article <19119018:22:53HL00@lehigh.bitnet> HL00@Lehigh writes:
>If you look carefully in the Programs Plus's ad in the December issue
>of A+/Incider (yeah, the issue with the Mac), you'll notice that under
>Origin Systems, there's Ultima VI!!  Is this for real or is this a
>printing mistake.  I though Origin decided not to make one for the
>Apple II because the program was simply too big.  Is this old news or
>what?  I haven't seen any ads from Origin yet...

No Apple II version of Ultima VI has yet been released, to my
knowledge.

Origin has said different things about this at different times.
The last I heard, they were "going to see about" producing both
IIGS and 8-bit II versions of Ultima VI.  The conventional "wisdom"
in the software publishing industry is that only an 8-bit version
could possibly sell well enough to repay development costs.
However, if you know much about Ultima VI, you should appreciate
that an 8-bit II version would be awkward.  A GS version, on the
other hand, would be relatively effortless and work well.  If not
released to retail outlets during the next couple of weeks, it will
miss this Christmas shopping season.

Note that magazine ads often list software in advance of its
availability.  QuestBusters has listed Space Quest III for the GS
for several months now, but Sierra On-Line claims that they have
no plans to ever release that product.

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (11/21/90)

Just to get your mind spinning with grandious ideas:

I talked to LB (forgot his real name offhand) at the Summer CES here in
Chicago last June and he said that he already completed 1/2 of the work
on an Apple // version before finishing it on the PC.  Whether you actually
believe him or not is really up to you.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Jabberwocky) (11/21/90)

In article <19119018:22:53HL00@lehigh.bitnet> HL00@Lehigh writes:
>If you look carefully in the Programs Plus's ad in the December issue
>of A+/Incider (yeah, the issue with the Mac), you'll notice that under
>Origin Systems, there's Ultima VI!!  Is this for real or is this a
>printing mistake.  I though Origin decided not to make one for the
>Apple II because the program was simply too big.  Is this old news or
>what?  I haven't seen any ads from Origin yet...

Well, depends on who you ask.  Origin Customer support says "No"

Programs Plus says "Yes."

WHo do you believe?

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/22/90)

From kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto):

> I talked to LB (forgot his real name offhand) at the Summer CES here in

    Lord British?  Richard Garriott...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

cs441219@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs441219) (11/26/90)

I called Programs Plus on Nov. 23, and they told me that they were told by
the company (Origin, I believe) that it will not release Ultima VI for the
Apple II.

| Sang J. Moon                                          |
| Disclaimer: These ideas are mine unless they are not. |