[comp.sys.apple2] 5.0.3 and Shadow.setup2

maye_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Mayer) (11/16/90)

devil was Shadow.setup2 designed to do. As far as I can find there are no dox
to be found anywhere. I assume that it has something to do with graphics...
mainly due to it's rather bizzare interaction with Deluxepaint II. Has anyone
else had the rather odd problem with Shadow.setup running under 5.0.3 eating
the menu bars in Deluxepaint? To describe: when you move to the far right of the
screen to select different tools/brushes/whatnot the pointer simply paints over
the menu in white. The menu can be restored my hitting 0 to clear it then 0 to
restore. This will not rectify the problem with it being "eaten" but will let
you see what's going on again. It also tracks white over the picture, although
it only seems to affect what is printed to the screen, as opposed to the actual
picture file.
   In any case it is a rather odd condition, and went away as soon as I pulled
Shadow.setup2 out of the system.startup folder. It's not a real problem, but I
would dearly love to know just what in the world it was designed to do, as a
routine that would overprint the screen while not altering the picture beneath
is rather neat...although this was clearly not the intent. Upon further
reflection I wonder if it could just be some bizzare confusion with the ROM 3
version? In any case, it's late, I'm tired, and this is all just too odd for
now...

|  Robert Mayer                     | The ideas in this message do not        |
|  maye_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  |  necessarily reflect those of the author|
|  MAYELTD@UORVM.BITNET             |    or anyone else for that matter...    |
|___________________________________|_________________________________________|
|        1000101 1000101 1001011 01000001  <-- You do the translation         |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (11/25/90)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Shadow.Setup was supposed to
take the menu boxes and draw them so that they have those cute little
offset shadows that one sees on the Mackensteins which make the menu
boxes look raised above the desktop background like so many glorious
cabinet drawers.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (11/27/90)

In article <17402@netcom.UUCP> avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Shadow.Setup was supposed to
>take the menu boxes and draw them so that they have those cute little
>offset shadows that one sees on the Mackensteins which make the menu
>boxes look raised above the desktop background like so many glorious
>cabinet drawers.
>
>--
>Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
>(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:
>                  Something big and lovely!"         - The B-52s, "Channel Z"

I think menus already have a drop shadow. The Shadow.Setup program is supposed
to speed up QuickDraw II by forcing programs to use memory shadowing from bank
01.

BTW, does anyone know what happens if another program is already using that
space? Orca/M seems to use memory in the 1/2000 area.

--
David Huang                              |       "I didn't order any
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |        pizzas, especially

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (11/27/90)

In article <40190@ut-emx.uucp> you write:
>In article <17402@netcom.UUCP> avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:
>>
>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Shadow.Setup was supposed to
>>take the menu boxes and draw them so that they have those cute little
>>offset shadows that one sees on the Mackensteins which make the menu
>>boxes look raised above the desktop background like so many glorious
>>cabinet drawers.
>>

>I think menus already have a drop shadow. The Shadow.Setup program is supposed
>to speed up QuickDraw II by forcing programs to use memory shadowing from bank
>01.

Because bank one runs at system speed, and bank $E1 (default) is only at 1 MHz.
                 ^^^--(well, you do reads and writes at this speed)

>BTW, does anyone know what happens if another program is already using that
>space? Orca/M seems to use memory in the 1/2000 area.

If $01/2000.$9FFF is being used by another program, then QD II will use bank
$E1. So..... if you ever request to use bank 1, and wish to do direct memory
writes, make sure you're actually using this memory. Almost always you'll get
this memory, BUT, if you're using the Orca/APW shell, you'll almost never get
this memory, Orca hogs. In my Software Experience demo awhile back, I did
direct page 1 writes w/o checking, so about 50% of the time I had to reboot
Orca.. I have had no problems with any other launcher, including the Finder.

I've never let this problem bother me, but offhand, does anyone know how to
tell which bank QD II is using?

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/27/90)

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) writes:

>I've never let this problem bother me, but offhand, does anyone know how to
>tell which bank QD II is using?

In an early issue of 8/16, there was an animation article in which QD was
started up and then the LocInfo record of the current grafport (i.e. the
whole screen) was examined to determine the address. Methods like this are
very advisable because they can't crash the system in the future.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/27/90)

In article <9011261818.AA06121@inch.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) writes:

[...]
>this memory, Orca hogs. In my Software Experience demo awhile back, I did
>direct page 1 writes w/o checking, so about 50% of the time I had to reboot
>Orca.. I have had no problems with any other launcher, including the Finder.
>
>I've never let this problem bother me, but offhand, does anyone know how to
>tell which bank QD II is using?

   Yeah. There's an address in the grafport structure.  It should be the address
of the bit map, which would be one hires area or the other.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (11/27/90)

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Shadow.Setup was supposed to
> take the menu boxes and draw them so that they have those cute little
> offset shadows that one sees on the Mackensteins which make the menu
> boxes look raised above the desktop background like so many glorious
> cabinet drawers.

    But all menus since GS/OS 1.0 came out had the little shadow on the menus.
 We just don't have the shadow for the windows yet (which the Mac does).  Big
deal...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/28/90)

On Mon, 26 Nov 90 22:14:27 GMT Todd P. Whitesel said:
>meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) writes:
>
>>I've never let this problem bother me, but offhand, does anyone know how to
>>tell which bank QD II is using?
>
>In an early issue of 8/16, there was an animation article in which QD was
>started up and then the LocInfo record of the current grafport (i.e. the
>whole screen) was examined to determine the address. Methods like this are
>very advisable because they can't crash the system in the future.

This is exactly what I've been looking for.  Could someone post some sample
source code to demonstrate getting that address?  (preferably in assembly?)
Thanks

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

  Michael J. Quinn