[comp.sys.apple2] SCSI Problems

max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (07/29/90)

I attached a MAxtor 8760 760M drive to my High Speed SCSI board and it is
not being seen by the utilities that came with it, or the 5.0.2 System Disk.
The SCSI board is device 7 and the Maxtor is device 6 with terminator.
I read about Mac SCSI not being standard with regard to unit attention on
power up, interrupts, and termination.  I don't know if the GS has the same
problems.  Is anyone successfully using a generic standard SCSI device with
the Apple High Speed SCSI card?  Do I have to do anything special (jumpers)?
What about low-level formatting?  Why is my Maxtor invisible to either of
these utilites?
Thanx in advance...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

UD182050@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Mike Aos) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul28.233501.16766@lgc.com>, max@maxsun.lgc.com (Max Heffler) says:

>I attached a MAxtor 8760 760M drive to my High Speed SCSI board and it is
>not being seen by the utilities that came with it, or the 5.0.2 System Disk.
>The SCSI board is device 7 and the Maxtor is device 6 with terminator.
>I read about Mac SCSI not being standard with regard to unit attention on
>power up, interrupts, and termination.  I don't know if the GS has the same
>problems.  Is anyone successfully using a generic standard SCSI device with
>the Apple High Speed SCSI card?  Do I have to do anything special (jumpers)?
>What about low-level formatting?  Why is my Maxtor invisible to either of
>these utilites?
>Thanx in advance...
>--
>Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
>Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
>333 Cypress Run, Suite 100      phone: (713) 579-4751
>Houston, Texas  77094

Assuming you did everything else right, it could be a problem with your SCSI
terminator.  I'm running a Rodime 45M internal HD from a Mac II, and its
internal terminator is insufficient for the DMA SCSI card, but works fine with
the revision 'C' card.

Just a thought...
-------
Mike

UD182050@NDSUVM1 (.Bitnet?)        "Share and Enjoy"
UD182050@VM1.NoDak.Edu                    -Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
                    Apple IIgs 'till I can afford a NeXT!
I got LOTSA opinions.  You want one?  You can have it!

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (11/26/90)

I have a problem with my SCSI subsystem that just crept up today.  It seems
that my SCSI interface is seeing my SCSI drive 5 times!  I pops up with a
device list (using Apple II High Speed SCSI Utilities) with 5 different
devices of 6 partitions each.  I have only one SCSI drive with 6 partitions
on it.  The "Volumes" button in GS/OS system 5.03 can't handle this error
and hangs the system every time.  Finder keeps saying I can't have two devices
with the same name.  This is making my life hell here.  Can anyone help me
with it?  My system is set up as follows:

"Woz" IIgs with ROM Version 01
        Apple High Speed SCSI Interface
                105MB Toshiba SCSI HD w/ built in cache
                formatted to 6 partitions.
        PCTransporter 768K
                360K TransDrive
                720K TransDrive
        TransWarp GS running at 7MHz
        SuperSonic Stereo card
        External Fan
        800K Apple 3.5 Drive
        140K Apple 5.25 Drive
        140K Mitac 5.25 Drive
        OctoRAM with 4MB (4 X 1MB SIMMs) memory

I think that covers everything but the givins (monitor etc.).  ANY help would
be appreciated.
                                                                      /
                                                       \             / /
______________________________________________________  \\\' ,      / //
            ProLine:   pro-beagle!lhaider                \\\//,   _/ //,
               INET:   lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com         \_-//' /  //<,
    /\\        UUCP:   crash!pro-beagle!lhaider             \ ///  <//`
   //\\\       ARPA:   crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil     /  >>  \\\`__/_
  ///\\\\                                                   /,)-^>> _\` \\\
 ////\\\\\     The opinions expressed here belong to        (/   \\ /\\\
// IIgs \\\    no entity(s), living or dead!                    // _//\\\\
------------------------------------------------------        ((` ((

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (11/27/90)

In article <25882.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle>, lhaider@pro-beagle (Laer Haider) writes:
>I have a problem with my SCSI subsystem that just crept up today.  It seems
>that my SCSI interface is seeing my SCSI drive 5 times!  I pops up with a
>device list (using Apple II High Speed SCSI Utilities) with 5 different
>devices of 6 partitions each.....

Is the drive properly terminated?  This sounds like the same behavior
I had with my drive when I powered it up without installing the terminator
blocks first.  Or was it that I didn't have the SCSI priority number set
properly (I was trying to set up an external switch to change SCSI
priority numbers, and got multiple numbers rather than just one because
I wired it up wrong).  Now that I think of it, I think it was the second
case that caused the problem, but you may want to make sure that both
are okay - terminator(s) installed and SCSI priority set to something
less than 7.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

In article <25882.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>I have a problem with my SCSI subsystem that just crept up today.  It seems
>that my SCSI interface is seeing my SCSI drive 5 times!  I pops up with a
>device list (using Apple II High Speed SCSI Utilities) with 5 different
>devices of 6 partitions each.  I have only one SCSI drive with 6 partitions
>on it.  The "Volumes" button in GS/OS system 5.03 can't handle this error
>and hangs the system every time.  Finder keeps saying I can't have two devices
>with the same name.  This is making my life hell here.  Can anyone help me
>with it?  My system is set up as follows:

Check to see if the SCSI id of the drive has been set to 7.