[comp.sys.apple2] Yo! Sustained instrument in SoundSmith!

toddpw@jomby.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/20/90)

That Samantha Fox song that was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 has a
sustained instrument in it -- LOWSTRINGS. That's why BGSound chokes on it.

Hmm...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (11/22/90)

toddpw@jomby.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>That Samantha Fox song that was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 has a
>sustained instrument in it -- LOWSTRINGS. That's why BGSound chokes on it.

>Hmm...

Hmmmn yourself. How does an instrument sustain? I've been trying to figure
out how to get REALKOTO.1 and FLUTE.JAPAN to play longer.

Watch for Rokudan no Shirabe and other of Japan's Greatest Oldies
coming soon to a SoundSmith run near you!

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/23/90)

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:

>toddpw@jomby.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>out how to get REALKOTO.1 and FLUTE.JAPAN to play longer.

Instruments sustain by repeating a portion of the waveform. The instrument
format SoundSmith uses can express a lot more than we have seen so far, and
what we need is an instrument editor that lets you add sustain markers to
an instrument and envelope data. SoundSmith .95 can play them, but we need
instruments that actually use those features in order to take advantage of
them.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/23/90)

 Its not the sustaining, its the different format
the asif instrument is.  My bgsound instrument
loader is extremely lame.... by diddling around with
it (w/ audiozap or ss inst editor) you can fix it
up.  Or alternatively create a ".D" file.

To sustain an instrument you need to edit the "INST"
block in the actual ASIF file.  The play-method
contains what
w the instrument will be played. Pull down inst-info
from the soundsmith menu for more info and then use
a block editor.

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (11/28/90)

In article <7356@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes...

> Its not the sustaining, its the different format
>the asif instrument is.  My bgsound instrument
>loader is extremely lame.... by diddling around with
>it (w/ audiozap or ss inst editor) you can fix it
>up.  Or alternatively create a ".D" file.
>
>To sustain an instrument you need to edit the "INST"
>block in the actual ASIF file.  The play-method
>contains what
>w the instrument will be played. Pull down inst-info
>from the soundsmith menu for more info and then use
>a block editor.

	More info!  All I need is the ability to sustain sounds!  If it's a
simple as editing a block or two that's great!  But I don't think it could be
that easy.
	Instant Synth has the ability to mark loop points in samples but it
won't load Soundsmith type sounds.  Does anyone know how to convert ASIF SS
instruments to load into INstant synth?  The IS files DO work in SS and they
do sustain!

	Later...

		Ken Morton

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/29/90)

I was able to get the SoundSmith instruments to run on Isynth AFTER I had
manipulated them through Music Studio. First load up a Soundsmith instrument
into Music Studio and then edit it from the Goodies menu. I suggest adding
sustain and stretching out the instruments play time. Not ALL of instruments
you change this way will work but most will. If Isynth balks at the ICN filetype
change it to BIN and it should take it. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a
quick and dirty utility to transfer soundfiles between ASIF, EAIF and MUSIC
STUDIO types?
                                                        - Joe Nowakowski