[comp.sys.apple2] new tape archiver for apple IIs/ shareware in general

greyelf@wpi.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (11/27/90)

I've noticed the prices of 286 machines dropping lately, and couldn't
help thinking that I might be better off buying a 286 machine than a
IIgs.  I mean, I like my laser 128ex, but I'll never make any money
writing software for it....

Well maybe...  Someone local asked me to make a tape archiver program
for a IIgs that allows a person to save to videotape.  So I decided
to make a program that does just that, handles huge files, and can create
backups to tape.

I've also heard people asking for a program that allows block copies
from device to device, of any block....

So in a nutshell, I'm going to write two more programs, a tape archiver,
and a block copier.  I'm asking for what people would like for features
in a tape archiver or backup utility.  I want to tailor my program to
what people are looking for.  If it doesn't work out, well Laser makes
this nice little 286 clone with a 60 meg hard drive, 2400 baud modem,
3.5 and 5.25 inch high density drives, a 12 mhz processor, a meg of ram....

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   The only Macintoshes
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     I'll ever buy go for
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   $.69 a pound...

--
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   The only Macintoshes
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     I'll ever buy go for

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (11/28/90)

Michael,
 I'd be interested in a VCR tape backup program. One question...
How would you even go about doing it? Most VCR's I know of don't
have a SCSI port.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
               AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey (SysAdmin)) (11/30/90)

Wouldn't you need a card to go with a video tape archiver?  I know that at one
time the now defunct Applied Ingenuity was to come out with a card that could
be hooked up to a VCR for tape backup.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |