[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II / Mac discusson

In article <9538.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>Phil,
> You're is one of the few truely mature attitudes I've seen here on the net
>regarding the Mac/Apple // debate. Personally, I like the looks of the NeXT
>box myself but can't afford one yet. I also really like my //GS despite the
>fact that it can't do some things some Macs can do. I plan to use my //GS
>until the day it won't function. Then I will evaluate all the CPU's out there
>again and determine which one best suits my home computing needs. A priority
>would be Unix ability so the NeXT and the Amiga 3000 are the main contenders
>now.

	What can the Mac do that the GS can't do? And I'm not trying to
take this argument to such an absurd level where someone can say "What can
the Mac do that the Commodor PET can't?"

	Maybe to make it a little more even playing field, we'll assume the
GS has a Zip GS in it.

	Now I'll ask my question now from an application perspective.. meaning
that obviously you can say the GS doesn't have the resolution the Macs have.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (11/02/90)

In article <8432@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <9538.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:
>	What can the Mac do that the GS can't do? And I'm not trying to
>take this argument to such an absurd level where someone can say "What can
>the Mac do that the Commodor PET can't?"
>
>	Maybe to make it a little more even playing field, we'll assume the
>GS has a Zip GS in it.
>
>	Now I'll ask my question now from an application perspective.. meaning
>that obviously you can say the GS doesn't have the resolution the Macs have.

Well, theoretically, nothing. Any computer can "do" what any other
computer can "do." In reality, the GS can't do whatever program hasn't
been written for it. For example, MacroMind's Director. A truly
amazing Multimedia preperation tool for the mac. We use it at work
extensively to make videotapes describing what our group does (and we
show these tapes to bigwigs at the Fed). Director doesn't exist for
the GS, so you can't do that on the GS *right now*. It's also unlikely
that you ever *will* be able to do it simply because the general view
among publishers (whether accurate or not) is that the GS is not
suited to do that sort of thing.

Now, if everyone had a Zipped GS and gobs of memory (Director is a
hog, BTW - we run out in our 8meg machine), MacroMind might be more
inclined to port it. Why don't they anyway? Well, it's hard to do
seeing as there aren't any VERY powerful tools like a GS version of
MacAPP available (we need a OOP compiler first).

The GS can do only what you can buy off the shelf. In terms of that,
the Mac can do more and that's all there is to it. Note that I'm
trying to be objective here - I'm not pointing out cost of
hardware/software or what real people are likely to do. Just pointing
out availablility of programs - which is the real measure of what any PC
can do.

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.214909.18927@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>Director doesn't exist for the GS, so you can't do that on the GS *right
>now*. It's also unlikely that you ever *will* be able to do it simply
>because the general view among publishers (whether accurate or not) is
>that the GS is not suited to do that sort of thing.

While Director doesn't exist in a IIGS version, HyperStudio certainly does,
and it has been used to do the sort of thing that you described.

There is certainly more commercial software support for the Mac than for
the IIGS, at least for non-educational applications; every IIGS user is
painfully aware of that.  On the other hand, now that a usable C compiler
has finally appeared (no thanks to Apple, apparently), a lot more software
for the IIGS has suddenly started to show up.

In the IIGS vs. Mac discussion, remember that Apple has been really pushing
the Mac and really discouraging development for the IIGS.  The IIGS does
have marvelous, useful capabilities, and there are ample illustrations of
that.  Personally, if I were buying a home computer from scratch, I'd get
an IBM PC/AT compatible with VGA/EGA, etc. since it's a better buy than
either a IIGS or a Mac and has much better commercial software support
than either of the Apple product lines.  That is not to say that the IIGS
and Mac aren't generally good machines with good capabilities, perhaps even
better capabilities in some respects than IBM PC clones.  But if you're
going to drag in commercial support issues, Apple is not really in the
running.

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (11/03/90)

Unknown,
 Aside from better resolution, the Mac can multitask. Processor speed is
higher. Numerous other little things that you find out about looking at Mac
magazines.

HOWEVER - It is not my intention to glorify the Mac over the //gs or any other
platform. Each has its own uses/advantages/disadvantages. I personally think
that most of the nifty software that the the Mac has can and should be ported
to the //gs.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/03/90)

In article <9624.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>Unknown,
> Aside from better resolution, the Mac can multitask. Processor speed is
>higher. Numerous other little things that you find out about looking at Mac
>magazines.

   The Mac CANNOT multitask. MultiFinder is NOT multiprogramming...
  It's a major hack whose usefulness in extremently limited by the
  fact that the OS is not designed to multitask in any way.
  Which one has better resolution? They're all different!  "Processor speed
  is higher" has been proven over and over a null statement.  MHz does
  not imply speed (witness my initial attempt at a RISC processor, which
  while running 25MHz, is only about 4 times as fast as an Apple II!
  Purists, please note that there is no pipelining implemented- I'm
  simply using this as an example).

>that most of the nifty software that the the Mac has can and should be ported
>to the //gs.
 What about that nifty software Mac people would like to run, but can't!
Why? Becuase they don't have a 65816 in their box.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Idle's Fish Eric) (11/04/90)

In article <9624.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>Unknown,
> Aside from better resolution, the Mac can multitask. Processor speed is
>higher. Numerous other little things that you find out about looking at Mac
>magazines.

Untrue.  The MHz might be numerically higher on the Macintosh, but comparing
MHz across processors is a lot like compating a BMW to the Space Shuttle.

In fact, applications ported to the GS from the Mac tend to run faster on the
GS than on the stock 68000 (8 MHz?)  Crystal Quest is a good example.  It runs
faster on a srock GS than on a stock Mac II.

>HOWEVER - It is not my intention to glorify the Mac over the //gs or any other
>platform. Each has its own uses/advantages/disadvantages. I personally think
>that most of the nifty software that the the Mac has can and should be ported
>to the //gs.

Absolutely.  Sim City would be nice... heheh!  I'm sitting here with 4 Megs
of RAM trying to figure out how to use it all... :-)

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (11/04/90)

If you are asking the question : "What can the Mac do that the GS can't?", the
only logical reply would be: "Well, the GS can pretty much do ALMOST everything
the Mac can do!".

For the sake of this argument I will leave out such trivial matters as that it
is not System 7.0 compatible :-) or that it can't multitask (no matter what
some of you might argue, it really CAN NOT do multitasking, not even to the
peonic degree of MultiFinder...), nor can it handle Virtual memory.

Now, some hard core techno freaks might say that these are relevant factors,
but they really aren't.  What counts is really what you can do in terms of
productivity with the two machines.

Well, there is a counterpart to Mac software on the GS side for quite a few of
the applications:  You can Telecom (Proterm, AWGS), DTP (Publish It, AWGS),
Word Processing, and what have you.  In many ways, the concept of AWGS in my
eyes is a great bonus on the GS sides, as it indeed integrates all important
applications a user might need.

The difference between the two platforms is that simply on the Mac side you can
do all the same things except that you can do them faster, better and with more
versatility.

For starters, the GS/OS does not support Adobe Laserfonts (nor will it ever
according to apple) and that makes it hellish to do any serious DTP with a
variety of standard fonts.  The lack of decenty color capabilities in 640x400
mode hampers any hopes of serious color processing.  The lack of square pixels
makes any precision work like DTP or WP a chore.

My point here is that the GS is a very good machine for the home and
educational market, no doubt about it, but if you are looking into any more
complex applications or more flexibility, the Mac has the advantage.  The GS
does not have any of the vast functionality of INITs and DAs and CDEVs the Mac
sports, nor do many developers invest in good software for it (with the
exception of a select few like Vitesse) - and those are usually treated like
little pets (or worse) by apple (that is, until they start on the Mac).

Sad but true, while I like the GS as a machine, I also fail to see the
advantage of a GS emulation card for the LC, as the only functionality it lacks
is Apple //e emulation.  The GS part is more than adequately made up by being
able to run Mac software.

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink | Achieve True Wealth and Financial Independence!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    |            Intrigued? - Send E-Mail!
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/04/90)

In article <9624.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:

>Unknown,
> Aside from better resolution, the Mac can multitask. Processor speed is
>higher. Numerous other little things that you find out about looking at Mac
>magazines.

I like the Mac. I use them a lot. I use the GS a lot. I use a NeXT now a
lot. So what's the point? The GS and the Mac BOTH do not multitask, unless
you are referring to A/UX. It is time that Mac users realize that MultiFinder
is not a multitasking OS. Many qualified people( who know a lot more than I
do about computing) have been pointing that out to Mac fiends for years.
What will it take for them to listen?

The Mac uses the Motorolla which is better and faster, it has a better
resolution but try looking at the ownership costs. Your nifty little things
in MacWeek,MacWorld,etc...are not inexpensive. One last thing. The Mac sound
does not compare to the GS's Ensoniq.

All of this does not mean that the Mac should not be considered a very
nice computer. It is. At the moment, it caters to the business world and
other groups who do not have to pay for software, peripherals,etc...from
their own pocket.

>HOWEVER - It is not my intention to glorify the Mac over the //gs or any other
>platform. Each has its own uses/advantages/disadvantages. I personally think
>that most of the nifty software that the the Mac has can and should be ported
>to the //gs.

Yes I think we will see more Mac utilities appearing on the GS. As the GS
approaches the Mac, I would hope that Apple sees fit to bring out a MacGS
while cutting the GS pricing substantially. It should be cut in half now.
Apple should bring out a MacGS of types as soon as possible. Time is short
and Intel is not standing still.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my very own opinions]

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/04/90)

On Sat, 3 Nov 90 12:11:56 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>  Which one has better resolution? They're all different!  "Processor speed
>  is higher" has been proven over and over a null statement.  MHz does
>  not imply speed (witness my initial attempt at a RISC processor, which

I don't think it's really 'null', but I agree that the XXMhz numbers aren't
a straight forward way of determining the speed of a chip, although, you can
usually get a pretty good idea of the relative speed by these numbers.  Anyway,
I think the point of that original "Processor speed is higher" was accurate in
comparing the Macs speed to the GS's speed.  A 7 Mhz 68000 is definitely faster
than a 2.8Mhz 65816.  I'm not basing that on the Mhz numbers, but the actual
speed of the two processors.  Working with a GS and a Mac side by side, you
can definitely tell that the Mac is faster.

About the Multifinder and 'multitasking'.... I completely agree with you.
Switching between aplications is NOT multitasking.... Having two applications
both RUNNING at the SAME appearant time IS multitasking, which the Mac does
not do.

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
>Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
>jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
>   Apple II Forever!        |                             (B O'Cult)
>Comp.Sys.Apple2- Home of the Unofficial Apple II Developer Support Team (DST)

|                                    |                               |
| This is your brain...              |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
| This is your brain on drugs...     |  pro-line:                    |
| This is your brain on frog licking.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (11/05/90)

> I like the Mac.

A few days ago, you were slandering and degrading the Mac, and stating that
you'll be glad to see it go.  I guess you DO change minds as much as Matthew
changes gears.. :)

/* Marek Pawlowski, marekp@{generic|pnet91|contact|bkj386|torag|aunix}.uucp */
/* President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding Blvd, PO BOX 32017    */
/* Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.				    */

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (11/05/90)

>About the Multifinder and 'multitasking'.... I completely agree with you.
>Switching between aplications is NOT multitasking.... Having two applications
>both RUNNING at the SAME appearant time IS multitasking, which the Mac does
>not do.
 ^^^

  In fact, Multifinder on the Mac DOES do exactly what you define to be
multitasking...  Any of the computation-intensive programs, like Mathematica,
Excel, Hypercard 2.0, and most of the terminal programs are perfectly capable
of running in the background while applications are being worked on in the
foreground...
  I run my Macintosh system like this all the time, mostly letting the terminal
program download from a Unix host, while I work on word-processing projects
in the foreground.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Jim Bolger - a National landslide of incompetence

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/05/90)

In article <8432@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
[ stuff quoted...]

>	What can the Mac do that the GS can't do?

Well the GS can't be a tektronics' terminal and it can't type a
mathematical equation. There's a lot more...Still, the GS is a very
nice computer( and makes a nice vt100 terminal) but it could do with
a 640x400(monochrome) resolution.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

Oh, and the GS won't run TeX.

In article <9011040755.AA25630@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>I don't think it's really 'null', but I agree that the XXMhz numbers aren't
>a straight forward way of determining the speed of a chip, although, you can
>usually get a pretty good idea of the relative speed by these numbers.  Anyway,
>I think the point of that original "Processor speed is higher" was accurate in
>comparing the Macs speed to the GS's speed.  A 7 Mhz 68000 is definitely faster
>than a 2.8Mhz 65816.  I'm not basing that on the Mhz numbers, but the actual
>speed of the two processors.  Working with a GS and a Mac side by side, you
>can definitely tell that the Mac is faster.

	Can definitely tell that the Mac is faster?

	Think of this hypothetical example.. You have one GS that has a
Transwarp GS card in it.. It is running System Disk 1.0 for the GS...
(Or whichever version is the first that's -NOT- running that non-Super
Hires mode "Finder".. That one was relatively quick from what I remember)..

	You also have a standard 2.8 megahertz GS running System Disk 5.03
(I doubt they made speed differences between 5.0x verssions but I'm just
using the latest in case they are)...

	So theoretically the standard speed GS would look faster to the user,
correct? I do not actually know what would happen. If someone can make this
comparison and post some kind of benchmarks, it would be interesting...
(I didn't use the Zip GS in my example knowing that it was a looot faster
than the TransWarp)

	My example is just trying to show very clearly that looking faster
to the END USER does -NOT- mean the Mac is faster. I'm not saying the Mac
isn't faster, I'm just being very very picky on this point.

	You go from System disk 4.0 to System disk 5.0.. Your computer didn't
speed up, but it "acts peppier". Even that simple 'upgrade' seems to show my
point.

	The software has a LOT to do with it, and I would bet that parts of
the Mac finder are much more refined than the GS Finder.. (Or other programs,
not simply the O/S)

	To directly compare the two, you would have to figure out how
many clock ticks it takes to complete similar instructions, then you can
make general comparisons..
--

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (11/05/90)

In article <9011040755.AA25630@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>About the Multifinder and 'multitasking'.... I completely agree with you.
>Switching between aplications is NOT multitasking.... Having two applications
>both RUNNING at the SAME appearant time IS multitasking, which the Mac does
>not do.

OOPS. Wrong, but thanks for playing. MultiFinder is about as much
multitasking as can be done non-preemptively (sp?). I know that you can
run two (or 3 or 8) programs at once, and have them all chugging away
on their own little numbers at once 'cause I've done it and I've
written programs that do it.

This discussion is pointless because everyone is going to argue about
what is/isn't multitasking. MultiFinder is, but it isn't "safe" or
"complete." It's not safe in that there's no memory or process
protection. My program could easily trash another program's code or
data. If my program crashes, it'll take down the whole machine.  At
the same time, in order for the multitasking to take place, my program
must cooperate. Unix has all these problems solved - but solving the
problems doesn't raise the OS to "true multitasking" levels. The Mac
OS has made attempts to prevent these sorts of things from happening.
Anyone who writes programs using MacAPP will be MultiFinder-compliant.
Also, anyone who checks memory allocations to be sure it went OK won't
be trashing random parts of memory. There are bits in an app's
resource that indicate how much memory the app thinks is in the
machine. The memory manager won't let the app allocate more than that
amount.

MultiFinder isn't just program switching - it really is cheap
multitasking. Now, the GS can do this too. Leapfrog demonstrated this.
By the way, have there been any more advances to Leapfrog?

--

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/06/90)

On Mon, 5 Nov 90 09:03:19 GMT The Unknown User said:
>In article <9011040755.AA25630@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

>>comparing the Macs speed to the GS's speed.  A 7 Mhz 68000 is definitely
>faster
>>than a 2.8Mhz 65816.  I'm not basing that on the Mhz numbers, but the actual
>>speed of the two processors.  Working with a GS and a Mac side by side, you
>>can definitely tell that the Mac is faster.
>
>	Can definitely tell that the Mac is faster?

Yes.

>	Think of this hypothetical example.. You have one GS that has a
>Transwarp GS card in it.. It is running System Disk 1.0 for the GS...
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you would have my original message, I said a 2.8Mhz GS and a 7Mhz Mac.

>(Or whichever version is the first that's -NOT- running that non-Super
>Hires mode "Finder".. That one was relatively quick from what I remember)..

It's hard to compare the GS system disk 1.0 to the current Mac OS... it's mor
logical to compare GS/OS 5.0x to the Macs' OS.  Also, I wasn't basing the fact
that the Mac is faster than a GS on the screen update speed, but how fast they
do internal calculations and the overall speed of all applications I've used
on the Mac compared to the overall speed of all applications on the GS.
From what I can tell from my experience with both of them is that a stock Mac
is faster than a stock GS. period.  Sure, you can speed up the GS.  Sure, you
can't tell 100% from the speed of the screen updates and the speed of ONE
application to ONE application, but when you compare all the programs you've
used on both machines, that's a pretty accurate and fair conclusion.

>	You also have a standard 2.8 megahertz GS running System Disk 5.03
>(I doubt they made speed differences between 5.0x verssions but I'm just
>using the latest in case they are)...
>
>to the END USER does -NOT- mean the Mac is faster. I'm not saying the Mac
>isn't faster, I'm just being very very picky on this point.

I understand your point and I agree, but the point I'm making is that the Mac
IS faster than the GS.

>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
>\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

|                       |                                        |
| HEY!  They're licking |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm                 |
| FROGS in Colorado!!!! |  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|_______________________|________________________________________|

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.074336.3086@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <8432@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>[ stuff quoted...]
>
>>	What can the Mac do that the GS can't do?

>Well the GS can't be a tektronics' terminal and it can't type a
>mathematical equation. There's a lot more...Still, the GS is a very

   It can't type a mathematical equation? So what's that program I see in
the back of InCider/A+ every month?
   And as for a tektronics terminal emulation, 80% of the Macintrashes out
there can't do it either.  It takes some very expensive hardware to emulate
some very specialized hardware.  Buy a Tek terminal if you're worried about
Tek emulation.

>nice computer( and makes a nice vt100 terminal) but it could do with
>a 640x400(monochrome) resolution.
>
>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
>[my opinions]
>
>Oh, and the GS won't run TeX.

   It will soon.. do you remember that post, asking for help with using
LinkIIgs with a LARGE number of object files?  Did you look at the filenames
being linked?  TeX left and right...

   The GS has a dearth of applications. If people would stop griping about
"Well,the GS can't do such-n-such" and get off their butts and write the
things they need, the world would be a better place.

--

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.060817.22702@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:
>>About the Multifinder and 'multitasking'.... I completely agree with you.
>>Switching between aplications is NOT multitasking.... Having two applications
>>both RUNNING at the SAME appearant time IS multitasking, which the Mac does
>>not do.
>  ^^^
>
>   In fact, Multifinder on the Mac DOES do exactly what you define to be
> multitasking...  Any of the computation-intensive programs, like Mathematica,
> Excel, Hypercard 2.0, and most of the terminal programs are perfectly capable
> of running in the background while applications are being worked on in the
> foreground...

Ok, now, while you are downloading that file, go into the finder and copy a
few files from floppy to hard disk, or, for that matter, save your word
processing file.  Notice how quickly all downloading stops.  It ain't true
multitasking.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/06/90)

In article <9011051728.AA15418@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>I understand your point and I agree, but the point I'm making is that the Mac
>IS faster than the GS.

With a 7MHz clock, the relative speeds are close for typical, COMPARABLE
applications.  Note that display update is not a good comparison, as the
color IIGS has to move around much more data than the black-and-white
Mac in order to attain a similar visual effect.

Which is faster depends very much on the application.

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (11/06/90)

XOPTIONS: REPLYING to NETNEWS article

In article <9011051728.AA15418@apple.com>, you say:

>On Mon, 5 Nov 90 09:03:19 GMT The Unknown User said:
>>In article <9011040755.AA25630@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
>
>>>comparing the Macs speed to the GS's speed.  A 7 Mhz 68000 is definitely
>>faster
>>>than a 2.8Mhz 65816.  I'm not basing that on the Mhz numbers, but the actual
>>>speed of the two processors.  Working with a GS and a Mac side by side, you
>>>can definitely tell that the Mac is faster.
>>
>>       Can definitely tell that the Mac is faster?
>
>Yes.
>
>>       Think of this hypothetical example.. You have one GS that has a
>>Transwarp GS card in it.. It is running System Disk 1.0 for the GS...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>If you would have my original message, I said a 2.8Mhz GS and a 7Mhz Mac.
>
>>(Or whichever version is the first that's -NOT- running that non-Super
>>Hires mode "Finder".. That one was relatively quick from what I remember)..
>
>It's hard to compare the GS system disk 1.0 to the current Mac OS... it's mor
>logical to compare GS/OS 5.0x to the Macs' OS.  Also, I wasn't basing the fact
>that the Mac is faster than a GS on the screen update speed, but how fast they
>do internal calculations and the overall speed of all applications I've used
>on the Mac compared to the overall speed of all applications on the GS.
>From what I can tell from my experience with both of them is that a stock Mac
>is faster than a stock GS. period.  Sure, you can speed up the GS.  Sure, you
>can't tell 100% from the speed of the screen updates and the speed of ONE
>application to ONE application, but when you compare all the programs you've
>used on both machines, that's a pretty accurate and fair conclusion.
>
>>       You also have a standard 2.8 megahertz GS running System Disk 5.03
>>(I doubt they made speed differences between 5.0x verssions but I'm just
>>using the latest in case they are)...
>>
>>to the END USER does -NOT- mean the Mac is faster. I'm not saying the Mac
>>isn't faster, I'm just being very very picky on this point.
>
>I understand your point and I agree, but the point I'm making is that the Mac
>IS faster than the GS.

Well, I have worked on both Macs and GS's. OK, Mac's are faster (even to
the naked eye) when using SHR Graphics. But, the beauty of the GS, and
what makes it FASTER THAN A MAC is the implementation of a TEXT MODE! Do
a spell chack on a text file in both Appleworks (the Classic version,
either 3.0 or the older ones with Timeout installed) and the Mac (up to
say a II, there is QUITE a difference when you cross that invisible
boundary that makes one a II or an SE or +) running say MacWrite, and
see which does the spell check in less time. Consider also the amount of
memory needed by the Macintrash to do SIMPLE tasks. Pull out a stock Mac
with say 1 meg of memory and 7.0000 Mhz 68000, and then pull out a stock
GS with 1.115 Meg of memory and a 2.8 Mhz 65816, and run programs that
do the SAME TASK but are programmed only for the machines native
ability. IE: Macwrite vs. AppleWorks. Red Ryder vs. ProTerm (or even for
that matter Snowterm, which isn't quite as fair of a comparison, because
it has only been out for a short time, and the author has admitted that
it still needs a bit of work to get it up to par). Run them side by side
and see which is more versatile and faster. Also, consider that with
Apple II programs, there are always companies (Beagle Brothers springs
to mind) that will take an original and improve it 150%.

The Mac can be a nice machine. However, I don't have the $10,000 dollars
needed to get one, and wouldn't get it if I did. That's where NeXT and
Sun MicroSystems come in...

>>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP   \
>CDs
>>\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa       /
>Simpson

>|                       |                                        |
>| HEY!  They're licking |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm                 |
>| FROGS in Colorado!!!! |  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
>|_______________________|________________________________________|

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (11/06/90)

Jawaid
 Exactly, I like the //gs I have, the Mac I use at work, the NeXT machine I
dream about....ad infinitum. I am a _computer enthusiast_ and refuse to berate
any machine. They all have their places. As for any claims I make about the
abilities of a platform...they are to be taken as 'partially' informed. If I
knew everything about even one platform, I'd be happy...but I don't. Please
feel free to correct any statements I make that have no factual basis.

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (11/06/90)

I will concede, now, that the Mac line does not multitask. However, if we are
to judge which machines _do_ multitask, then only machines such as the
"Connection Machine" which use multiple processors, can actually multitask.
All other 'multi-tasking' is actually splitting the processing cycles of a
single CPU among several 'processes'. By that definition, I'd say even the
Multifinder 'multi-tasks'.

And if you _really_ want to get technical, there is still only one CPU that
can multitask: an organic brain. (And I know of some of those that aren't too
good at it...maybe they need System 7 :)   )

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/06/90)

OK, here's what an Apple rep (or should I say a MAC rep) just told me about
multifinder (BTW, he's also a good programmer and friend, not just an apple
'employee', and he's also president of the Mac users group here in Chatt-Town).
He said multifinder DOES allow multi-'pseudo'-tasking.  You can, in fact, run
two applications simultianeously, BUT, they HAVE to be written for it.  I was
incorrect in saying that multifinder only allows you to SWITCH between
applications (which, BTW, ISN'T multitasking).  Anyone know when we're gunna
have this for the GS?  Hint Hint :)

|                       |                                        |
| HEY!  They're licking |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm                 |
| FROGS in Colorado!!!! |  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|_______________________|________________________________________|

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/06/90)

        I don't understand why Apple introduced the GS at all if it was
going to kill it with a line of "low cost" (uh hem) Macs four year later.
        Well, actually I do understand. After Wozniak left Jobs tried to
build the company into the giant it has become (and reverting from). He
couldn't do it lacking the necessary buisness ability to make a company grow
without crash and burn. Sooo, he hired John Scully who did have the knowledge,
but Scully became more than a consultant (ah hem) and in the ensuing confusion
know one knew who was staying or leaving let alone try and have a coherent
policy toward the computer that built the company. The Mac literally carved
itself into the computer world when it was introduced. No one (except Xerox)
had every seen anything like it...they gambled the company and it payed off,
sort of. While apple stopped acknowledging that people even bought computers
for there homes and started to fight with IBM for the business market, IBM
held off Apple with its GNP like assests and did and end run into the home
market that BUILT APPLE IN THE FIRST PLACE! So its not that the Apple IIgs
(or earlier IIs) are bad machines or slow or obsolete, its just that at the
time they needed to be marketed the most agressively they where barely
acknowledged because of the internal confusion at Apple. Now Apple is coming
back into the fight but with the Mac again. Oh well, the GS should have been
marketed head to head with the Amiga as a Creativity Machine, because its not
really a buisness computer...it can be used for that but I think thats a waste
of some outstanding sound and graphics. Let IBM do that stuff with bare bones
pickup truck computers. The GS is a Corevette. Not as fast as a Porshe or a
Ferrari but fast and fun and sexy just the same.
                                                - More than 'nuff said.
                                                - Joe Nowakowski
                                                - Nowako09@Snybufva
                                                  (bitnet)

On Mon, 5 Nov 90 20:48:39 GMT Doug Gwyn said:

>With a 7MHz clock, the relative speeds are close for typical, COMPARABLE
>applications.  Note that display update is not a good comparison, as the
>color IIGS has to move around much more data than the black-and-white
>Mac in order to attain a similar visual effect.

Exactly.  I agreed that screen update times doesn't have alot to do with the
speeds of the two... that's why I talked about internal calculations and
overall speed of all the applications I've used on both the GS and the Mac.

I want to point something out for those of you who seem to think I'm trying
to compare tha Mac to the GS and say it's a better computer.  I DON'T LIKE THE
MAC!, but, it IS faster.  That's the only point I was making.  Someone on the
net sent me a 4-5 page letter telling me why the GS is a better computer than
the Mac.  Well, I agree with that.  Don't loose sight of the original message
and blow it all up so we don't get another 'civil war' going on between us.
Also, one point about that 4-5 page letter (I lost it somehow, don't ask how,
so I'll post a semi-reply here).

The person was talking saying that a certain communications package on the
mac was slower than several on the GS, including Snowterm.  Well, I'm using
snowterm right now and use it every day, and I haven't seen a single mac-app
that's anywhere near as slow as this (actually, snowterm is fast, but the mac-
app's I've used are even faster (kermit, mac-terminal, and some other one).

The person also went on to say that the GS is faster because it has a TEXT
mode.  Well, that would make screen updates much quicker, but that has nothing
to do with the speed of the machine (CPU).  He also talked about spell checkers
on Appleworks 3.0 compared to some on mac-applications, saying that APWKS 3.0
is faster.  Well, it probably is, because it doesn't use the toolbox and an
Apple ][ programmer made it, and as we all know, Apple ][ programmers are much
more efficient than Mac Programmers :), but that has nothing to do with the
SPEED of the MACHINE.

>Which is faster depends very much on the application.

Right, but put that same application on both a GS and a Mac, with only the
absolute necessary changes to make it run on both machines, and it'll be faster
on the mac because the macs hardware is, unfortunately, faster.  But, of course
, if you have a text mode program on the // and port it to the mac, screen
writes won't be as fast on the mac because the mac is doing a hell of alot
more computations to gett all those bytes to the screen, but do both of
them on   the same size graphics screen on both computers (I know, they don't
share a common screen, but...) and, not only will the 'unseen' computations be
quicker, but so will the screen updates be faster on the mac.

Using your same logic, that would be like saying a ][+ is faster than a GS
because AppleWorks 3.0 is faster than Appleworks GS (I know, not all of it is,
but most of it).

|                       |                                        |

johnte@microsoft.UUCP (John TERRANOVA) (11/06/90)

In article <9011040755.AA25630@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>About the Multifinder and 'multitasking'.... I completely agree with you.
>Switching between aplications is NOT multitasking.... Having two applications
>both RUNNING at the SAME appearant time IS multitasking, which the Mac does
>not do.

Hardly!  If you're gonna rag on the Mac, you should atleast
*try* to find some valid reasons to rag.  (Hint: protected
memory)

So, I can't have "two applications both RUNNING at the SAME
appearent time", huh?  Maybe you should bop me on the head
and tell me "No, you really don't see your program compiling
at the *same* time that you document the source code."

Yes, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, Mac bigots of all
ages, my Mac+ can compile my Pascal source, recalc a Microsoft
Excel spreadsheet *and* download a file via a remote connection
*all while* I use my favorite text editor to comment my source
code.  And that is only a lowly Mac+.  ;-)

I am quite the proud Macintosh owner.  Is that a crime?  I am
also quite fond of the Apple II family.  Is that a crime, too?
Or only a lessor crime?

Why don't you quit bitching about what the Mac can or can't do
and get back to the main charter of this newsgroup - bitching
about Apple Senior Official's plot to kill the II.

I'm not sure if that deserves a smiley or not.

>|                                    |                               |
>| This is your brain...              |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
>| This is your brain on drugs...     |  pro-line:                    |
>| This is your brain on frog licking.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
>|____________________________________|_______________________________|

-----------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------
    John Terranova     |  What the Hell do I know?  |  I speak/type for me
johnte@microsoft.uucp  |  I come from Waunakee!     |  and no one else.
-----------------------+----------------------------+-------------------------
"You look so good; you feel good, too.  When they see you shake it, baby
 everybody's gonna pay attention to you and you and you." --Gerard, Shake It

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/06/90)

>Well, I have worked on both Macs and GS's. OK, Mac's are faster
>(even to the naked eye) when using SHR Graphics. But, the beauty of
>the GS, and what makes it FASTER THAN A MAC is the implementation
>of a TEXT MODE!

So it has a text mode.  Big deal.  Most of the programs that run in
text mode are 8 bit programs that don't exploit the potential of the
GS.  AppleWorks (Classic) is a prime example of this.  If it were
rewritten as a 16 bit application for text mode only it would be a
lot faster, but most GS specific software is written for the graphic
interface of GSOS which provides some nice features for both the
programmer and the user, but is rather sluggish.

>Do a spell check on a text file in both Appleworks (the Classic
>version, either 3.0 or the older ones with Timeout installed) and
>the Mac (up to say a II, there is QUITE a difference when you cross
>that invisible boundary that makes one a II or an SE or +) running
>say MacWrite, and see which does the spell check in less time.

Come on.  Anybody who knows even a minimal amount about Macs can
tell you that MacWrite is one of the slowest word processors around.
Make your comparisons with the best software on each platform
please!  Try the spell checker in WriteNow.  No software (8 bit or
16 bit) on your GS is going to even come close.

>Consider also the amount of memory needed by the Macintrash to do
>SIMPLE tasks. Pull out a stock Mac with say 1 meg of memory and
>7.0000 Mhz 68000, and then pull out a stock GS with 1.115 Meg of
>memory and a 2.8 Mhz 65816, and run programs that do the SAME TASK
>but are programmed only for the machines native ability.

"native ability"?!?  Where on Earth did you acquire this bizarre
concept?  And resorting to name abuse is not going to gain you any
respect among intelligent beings.

Are you trying to say the Mac OS is large and requires more memory
than GSOS?  Gee, last time I checked, you couldn't run AppleWorks GS
at all on a 1MB GS but you can run most Mac software including Works
and PageMaker on a 1MB machine.  Or are you talking about 8 bit
software under ProDOS 8?  In which case, you are dealing with stuff
designed for 64K, so what *is* your point?

>IE Macwrite vs. AppleWorks. Red Ryder vs. ProTerm (or even for that
>matter Snowterm, which isn't quite as fair of a comparison, because
>it has only been out for a short time, and the author has admitted
>that it still needs a bit of work to get it up to par). Run them
>side by side and see which is more versatile and faster.

Bogus comparisons dude.  MacWrite is slow but is graphically based.
AppleWorks is text based and keeps all data in memory.  Try
comparing AppleWorks to a memory based text editor like Vantage.  No
comparison baby - Vantage will search and replace circles around
AppleWorks (and I'm talking about using big files like say 512K).
To be fair to the GS though, you should pick a 16 bit text editor.
I know there are at least a couple of them.  The point is, you can
make any machine look bad or good depending on how you pick and
choose the software to test it.

Communications software is not worth comparing when you're talking
about machine speed because the bottleneck on virtually any system
is the speed of your modem, not the machine or the software.  As for
features, give me a break.  There are a lot more high quality
communications programs for the Mac than for the Apple II that cover
a much wider range of communications needs.  Also you're really not
up to date.  Red Ryder was replaced by White Knight a long time ago.

Sigh, it's hardly worth going on.  I'm afraid you really don't have
a clue what you're talking about.  I am not a Mac fanatic (as you
are probably thinking).  In fact I started my computing career using
Apple IIs (and continue to do so).  But I also use IBM PCs and Macs
extensively.  You just need to be open minded and knowledgeable
enough to understand where each machine, OS, and applications have
their strengths and weaknesses.

>Also, consider that with Apple II programs, there are always
>companies (Beagle Brothers springs to mind) that will take an
>original and improve it 150%.

Open your eyes man.  There are a lot more companies fiercely
competing for the Mac owner's software bucks and this translates to
more applications and more upgrades.  Simple economics.  There are
some really good Apple II programs that I like, but the selection
and quality of business, scientific, and utility software on the Mac
is way, way ahead.  The Mac only lags behind in educational (mainly
K-12) software and you can bet this will change over the next few
years.

>The Mac can be a nice machine. However, I don't have the $10,000
>dollars needed to get one, and wouldn't get it if I did. That's
>where NeXT and Sun MicroSystems come in...

Boy, now you've really gone off the deep end.  Your comparisons are
all based on a 68000 Mac like the Classic which is available for
just a wee bit less than $10,000.  Consider this... a Macintosh LC
will sell for about the same money as a comparably equipped GS did
this year and is one heck of a lot faster machine with higher
resolution colour graphics.

In article <9011060151.AA08822@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>>Which is faster depends very much on the application.
>Right, but put that same application on both a GS and a Mac, with only the
>absolute necessary changes to make it run on both machines, and it'll be faster
>on the mac because the macs hardware is, unfortunately, faster.

No, that's what I objected to.  A 7 MHz-clocked 68000 (not 68040) performs
simple computations at approximately the same rate as a 2.8 MHz-clocked
65816.  When things get complicated, the 68000's support of a general
register set give it an edge.  Also, it is harder to generate efficient
code for the 65816 via a compiler, due to the warty architecture, and
68000 C compilers have been fairly highly refined by now by dozens of
competing vendors.

It's kind of pointless to compare Apples to Bananas, or to claim that
Bananas taste better.

>Using your same logic, that would be like saying a ][+ is faster than a GS
>because AppleWorks 3.0 is faster than Appleworks GS ...

Not MY logic!  That's the sort of non-comparability I was objecting to.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/06/90)

In article <9011060032.AA01528@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

[more on MultiFinder's "multitasking" abilities...]

MultiFinder does cooperative "multitasking". It is not a preemptive
multitasking OS. It is less of that than DesqView is.

Just because you can time slice does not mean you have a multitasking
OS. If that were the case any computer could be said to multitask.

I may be picky on this but MultiFinder is NOT a multitasking OS, and if
it were it would be the worst one in history.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
[my very own opinions]

g8247032@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) (11/06/90)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>In article <9011060032.AA01528@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>[more on MultiFinder's "multitasking" abilities...]

>MultiFinder does cooperative "multitasking". It is not a preemptive
>multitasking OS. It is less of that than DesqView is.

>Just because you can time slice does not mean you have a multitasking
>OS. If that were the case any computer could be said to multitask.

>I may be picky on this but MultiFinder is NOT a multitasking OS, and if
>it were it would be the worst one in history.

>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto
>[my very own opinions]

True, Mac OS is not true multi-tasking OS, but then neither is Microsoft
Windows, and they advertise it as true mutiltasking.

--
George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong
Masters Student (Computer Science)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov6.074110.8104@cs.uow.edu.au> g8247032@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:

[quotes re MultiFinder etc ...]

>True, Mac OS is not true multi-tasking OS, but then neither is Microsoft
>Windows, and they advertise it as true mutiltasking.

I did not discuss Windows, which is another story. I mentioned DeskView
which does allow some flexibility in the time slices alloted to processes.
If Mac people are happy with their "multitasking" OS then fine. Just want to
make it clear that they aren't kidding everybody.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions{

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.141931.822@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) writes:
>In article <1990Nov5.060817.22702@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
>torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:

>> of running in the background while applications are being worked on in the
>> foreground...
>
>Ok, now, while you are downloading that file, go into the finder and copy a
>few files from floppy to hard disk, or, for that matter, save your word
>processing file.  Notice how quickly all downloading stops.  It ain't true
>multitasking.

"True" is a relative term. You really mean, "It's not Preemptive
multitasking," which is a different concept. Under Multifinder (as was
pointed out in an earlier article), all applications must agree to
multitask. They *must* make periodic system calls (even if unneeded by
the app) so that the OS may time-slice properly. The Finder's copy
subroutine does not make these periodic calls. Hopefully, System 7.0
will fix that.

Multitasking means running more than one process at once. No more, no
less. I can turn on a Mac and run more than one process at once -
therefore it multitasks. Multitasking ability does not imply memory
protection, preemptive interruption, or anything else (although those
features make it easier on the author and users). Now, the technique
behind it on the mac may be sloppy or incomplete or unsuitable for
some people, but it DOES MULTITASK. The GS can do it too. A
preliminary version of such stuff appeared in Leapfrog, but I think
that only did switching - not multitasking (someone correct me on
this). The GS (with the toolbox, and presuming you dump P8 apps) is no
less capable of MultiFinder than the Mac is (except that it may be a
"challenge" to implement it on the 65816).

So there.

--

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/07/90)

On Tue, 6 Nov 90 02:40:00 GMT John TERRANOVA said:

>Hardly!  If you're gonna rag on the Mac, you should atleast
>*try* to find some valid reasons to rag.  (Hint: protected
>memory)

First of all, I've stated that I was incorrect in saying that Multifinder
doesn't allow multitasking.  Second, I WAS NOT ragging Mac.  THIRD, I had
valid reasons to say that because I use macs everyday WITH multifinder!

>So, I can't have "two applications both RUNNING at the SAME
>appearent time", huh?  Maybe you should bop me on the head
>and tell me "No, you really don't see your program compiling
>at the *same* time that you document the source code."

Yeah, like I've been standing over your shoulder watching you work with your
mac and then said it doesn't do it.  Also, note that applications do NOT run
simultaneously with multifinder UNLESS they're specifically written for it,
or at least, that's what the president of the mac users groups, who's also the
mac rep for aur university and a darn good programmer, so this time, if I'm
wrong, at least I have a *valid* reason to be.

>Yes, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, Mac bigots of all
>ages, my Mac+ can compile my Pascal source, recalc a Microsoft
>Excel spreadsheet *and* download a file via a remote connection
>*all while* I use my favorite text editor to comment my source
>code.  And that is only a lowly Mac+.  ;-)

I think you've miss interpreted the intent of our discussion.  No one was
ragging the mac, in fact, it started out talking about the fact that the mac
IS faster than the GS.

>I am quite the proud Macintosh owner.  Is that a crime?  I am
>also quite fond of the Apple II family.  Is that a crime, too?
>Or only a lessor crime?

Is that a crime?  Absolutely NOT!  Please pay more attention to the messages
you read on this net before you start accusing people of being 'bigots'.

>Why don't you quit bitching about what the Mac can or can't do
>and get back to the main charter of this newsgroup - bitching

No one's bitching OR complaining of any kind.  You need to be very careful
what you say on here, because, as we all know, there are lots of people just
itching to flame someone.

>about Apple Senior Official's plot to kill the II.
>
>I'm not sure if that deserves a smiley or not.

hehe, me either!

On Tue, 6 Nov 90 04:04:14 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>It's kind of pointless to compare Apples to Bananas, or to claim that
>Bananas taste better.

You're exactly right, and I see your point, but we're not talking apples
and bananas.  I guess you could say we're talking Apples and Apples, even
though, they are different species.  Anyway, the point is, from the experience
I've had with both the mac and the gs (let me point out, I like the GS 1000
times better), the mac definitely seems to run faster even with 'unrefined'
programs that were written A LONG time ago with unrefined C compilers (or
pascal compilers).

>>Using your same logic, that would be like saying a ][+ is faster than a GS
>>because AppleWorks 3.0 is faster than Appleworks GS ...
>
>Not MY logic!  That's the sort of non-comparability I was objecting to.

Right.  And that wasn't directed to you, but the person that sent me that
LONG note. (unless you're the person that wrote me the long note... I can't
tell, because there's no address with this message.)

To Everyone:  I have a request:  Most everyone agrees that the mac is faster,
some don't and from the look of things, nobody's gunna believe otherwise
unless we see some benchmarks (I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong), so,
let's start talking about Apple ]['s and not macs until someone shows up
with some benchmarks for the 65816 vs. 68000 (using assembly language) and
just post enough to show which is faster OVERALL.  It's not that important to
me, but it seems to be to alot of GS users on here.  Fair enough?

|                        |                                       |
| HEY people. learn when | BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm                 |
| to use "a" and "an".   | pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|________________________|_______________________________________|

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/07/90)

Frankly, I care which system is faster, I only care which seems faster. To me
a stock GS is about as fast as a Mac Plus. The plus certianly is not three
times faster than a GS, no matter what application are being used.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/07/90)

Flame control set at minimum....  Here we go...

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 6-Nov-90 Re: Apple II / Mac
> discusson USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (5168)

> >Well, I have worked on both Macs and GS's. OK, Mac's are faster
> >(even to the naked eye) when using SHR Graphics. But, the beauty of
> >the GS, and what makes it FASTER THAN A MAC is the implementation
> >of a TEXT MODE!
>
> So it has a text mode.  Big deal.  Most of the programs that run in
> text mode are 8 bit programs that don't exploit the potential of the
> GS.  AppleWorks (Classic) is a prime example of this.  If it were
> rewritten as a 16 bit application for text mode only it would be a
> lot faster, but most GS specific software is written for the graphic
> interface of GSOS which provides some nice features for both the
> programmer and the user, but is rather sluggish.

BUZZ...  Ever heard of ORCA/M, ORCA/C, etc. ?  Extremely FAST text-based
environment.  And it's 16-BIT, not ProDOS 8 (note: I'm talking here
about the IIgs version of ORCA/M, not the ProDOS 8 version).  However, I
do agree that the IIgs does not do as good a job at the desktop
interface as the Mac does.

> >Do a spell check on a text file in both Appleworks (the Classic
> >version, either 3.0 or the older ones with Timeout installed) and
> >the Mac (up to say a II, there is QUITE a difference when you cross
> >that invisible boundary that makes one a II or an SE or +) running
> >say MacWrite, and see which does the spell check in less time.
>
> Come on.  Anybody who knows even a minimal amount about Macs can
> tell you that MacWrite is one of the slowest word processors around.
> Make your comparisons with the best software on each platform
> please!  Try the spell checker in WriteNow.  No software (8 bit or
> 16 bit) on your GS is going to even come close.

Possibly true; I haven't worked with enough different Mac programs out
> there to know what's considered fast on that machine.

> >Consider also the amount of memory needed by the Macintrash to do
> >SIMPLE tasks. Pull out a stock Mac with say 1 meg of memory and
> >7.0000 Mhz 68000, and then pull out a stock GS with 1.115 Meg of
> >memory and a 2.8 Mhz 65816, and run programs that do the SAME TASK
> >but are programmed only for the machines native ability.
>
> "native ability"?!?  Where on Earth did you acquire this bizarre
> concept?  And resorting to name abuse is not going to gain you any
> respect among intelligent beings.

By "native ability," he means a stock machine; I'm sure that most people
out there understood that, although it could have been said a little
more clearly.  I don't see any name abuse here.

> Are you trying to say the Mac OS is large and requires more memory
> than GSOS?  Gee, last time I checked, you couldn't run AppleWorks GS
> at all on a 1MB GS but you can run most Mac software including Works
> and PageMaker on a 1MB machine.  Or are you talking about 8 bit
> software under ProDOS 8?  In which case, you are dealing with stuff
> designed for 64K, so what *is* your point?

The Mac OS _IS_ large.  In fact, it's HUGE.  Yes, you can run AppleWorks
GS on a 1.25MB GS.  And not all P8 stuff is designed for only 64K,
either.  However, the fact is that there is a LOT of P8 and DOS 3.3
stuff out there that IS designed for 64K or 48K or even 32K that has
close  to the same functionality as programs that require 1MB or more on
a Mac.

> >IE Macwrite vs. AppleWorks. Red Ryder vs. ProTerm (or even for that
> >matter Snowterm, which isn't quite as fair of a comparison, because
> >it has only been out for a short time, and the author has admitted
> >that it still needs a bit of work to get it up to par). Run them
> >side by side and see which is more versatile and faster.
>
> Bogus comparisons dude.  MacWrite is slow but is graphically based.
> AppleWorks is text based and keeps all data in memory.  Try
> comparing AppleWorks to a memory based text editor like Vantage.  No
> comparison baby - Vantage will search and replace circles around
> AppleWorks (and I'm talking about using big files like say 512K).
> To be fair to the GS though, you should pick a 16 bit text editor.
> I know there are at least a couple of them.  The point is, you can
> make any machine look bad or good depending on how you pick and
> choose the software to test it.

Ahhh.. But the desktop interface is supposed to be what the Mac is so
good at, right?  So why is it so slow?  And whether a program is desktop
or text-based doesn't determine what it can do, only how the user does
it.  Here, AppleWorks far outperforms MacWrite in most situations,
although it's really not a fair comparison since MacWrite is not
integrated software.  However, AppleWorks also comes pretty close to or
exceeds Works in most places.  And I haven't seen anything for ANY Mac
program like the TimeOut series and other AppleWorks enhancements from
Beagle Brothers.

> Communications software is not worth comparing when you're talking
> about machine speed because the bottleneck on virtually any system
> is the speed of your modem, not the machine or the software.  As for
> features, give me a break.  There are a lot more high quality
> communications programs for the Mac than for the Apple II that cover
> a much wider range of communications needs.  Also you're really not
> up to date.  Red Ryder was replaced by White Knight a long time ago.

Red Ryder BECAME White Knight.  Have you SEEN ProTERM?  It is an
EXCELLENT comm program; it does more than most Mac software I've seen,
including White Knight.

> Sigh, it's hardly worth going on.  I'm afraid you really don't have
> a clue what you're talking about.  I am not a Mac fanatic (as you
> are probably thinking).  In fact I started my computing career using
> Apple IIs (and continue to do so).  But I also use IBM PCs and Macs
> extensively.  You just need to be open minded and knowledgeable
> enough to understand where each machine, OS, and applications have
> their strengths and weaknesses.

Well, I AM an Apple // fanatic.  And you do sound like a Mac fanatic, at
least in this message.  I DO know what I'm talking about, and I do
understand the different strengths and weaknesses of various operating
systems.  In this case, I think the original poster does as well.  The
Mac's major strength is its graphical interface, which makes the machine
easier to use.  There are other strengths, but I know the IIgs better
than I know the Mac. The GS's strengths are its ability to run most
Apple // software and the fact that you are not tied down to the
graphical interface.  True, it has weaknesses.  It's not really well
suited to the GUI do the the small screen and relatively slow processor
(but not as slow as you may think).
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/07/90)

>>...but most GS specific software is written for the graphic interface...

>BUZZ...  Ever heard of ORCA/M, ORCA/C, etc. ?

Sure I have.  Read more carefully.  I said "most", not "all".

>>>Consider also the amount of memory needed by the Macintrash...

>>And name abuse won't gain you any respect...

>...I don't see any name abuse here.

Read more carefully. "Macintrash" = name abuse.  You don't hear me
saying "Granny Smith" or "Goddamn Slow" - whoops. ;-)  Really, I
should have put a smiley after my comment.  I recall myself calling
early machines from Tandy "Trash 80s". :)

>>Are you trying to say the Mac OS is large and requires more memory
>>than GSOS?  Gee, last time I checked, you couldn't run AppleWorks GS
>>at all on a 1MB GS but you can run most Mac software including Works
>>and PageMaker on a 1MB machine.

>The Mac OS _IS_ large.  In fact, it's HUGE.  Yes, you can run AppleWorks
>GS on a 1.25MB GS.

Granted, the Mac OS is huge, but GSOS is no less huge.  If you want a GUI
with all kinds of resources for applications to use you're gonna pay big
time with memory.

Read more carefully.  I said a 1MB GS, not 1.25MB.  I just happen to have
a 1.25 MB GS myself.  It barely runs AppleWorks GS with a bare bones setup
but if I want Appleshare on as well I'm outa luck.  GSOS is every bit, if
not more, of a monster as the Mac OS.

>However, the fact is that there is a LOT of P8 and DOS 3.3 stuff out there
>that IS designed for 64K or 48K or even 32K that has close to the same
>functionality as programs that require 1MB or more on a Mac.

I totally agree (for once :)).  But you could do the same thing on any
machine including the Mac if you're willing to code meticulously in
assembler, provide a text based interface, and not have to worry about
working cooperatively with anything else.

>Ahhh.. But the desktop interface is supposed to be what the Mac is soo
>good at, right?  So why is it so slow?  And whether a program is desktop
>or text-based doesn't determine what it can do, only how the user does
>it.  Here, AppleWorks far outperforms MacWrite in most situations,
>although it's really not a fair comparison since MacWrite is not
>integrated software.  However, AppleWorks also comes pretty close to or
>exceeds Works in most places.

Please read more carefully.  I said "MacWrite is slow" and it's not the
Mac OS that's the cause.  Like I said earlier, compare your favourite
Apple II software to fast Mac software like WriteNow and you'll start
to realize that good 'ol AppleWorks just ain't so fast. I've edited huge
files with AppleWorks and boy do you notice the speed problems associated
with bank switching 64K chunks of memory.

>And I haven't seen anything for ANY Mac program like the TimeOut series
>and other AppleWorks enhancements from Beagle Brothers.

AppleWorks needs add-ins because that's the only way you can add capabilities
and still stay completely integrated.  On the Mac you've got a consistent
interface structure among applications, a clipboard to move data among
applications, many standard supported file formats, and MultiFinder to let
you move quickly from one program to another.  All this makes committing
yourself to one application with add-ins unecessary.  Microsoft Works on
the Mac is really an example of unecessary integration that makes too
many compromises.  Picking really good individual applications is the way
to go on the Mac because the OS integrates them for you.  GSOS promises
a lot of the same, but the fact that people tend to prefer sticking with
AppleWorks Classic demonstrates that it just doesn't quite deliver.  The
problem is probably not really GSOS, but hardware that is too slow and some
applications that are too big, too buggy, or too limited.  For me, I think
it's more the grainy the 200 line resolution that turns me off GUI on the GS.

>>Red Ryder was replaced by White Knight a long time ago.

>Red Ryder BECAME White Knight.  Have you SEEN ProTERM?  It is an
>EXCELLENT comm program; it does more than most Mac software I've seen,
>including White Knight.

True.  Red Ryder was completely rewritten and then released as Red Ryder
10 before being renamed to White Knight and revised some more.  Yes, I
have used ProTerm - very nice program and *very* impressive considering
the memory space it has to work in.  But there are lots of things it
doesn't do or do well.  I don't even use White Knight, but I do use
ZTerm, NCSA Telnet, MacIP, MacKermit, and QDial.  None of which are
perfect, but they do provide me with capabilities that I need that are
not available with any Apple II software.

>And you do sound like a Mac fanatic, at least in this message

I'm not fanatical about any machine, just realistic.  I happen to like
the Apple II.  I wouldn't have spent countless hours contributing
to the Kermit-65 effort if I didn't.  You won't find a "Mac fanatic"
sweating over 6502 assembler just to give away free to Apple II users.
There are things that I like about every microcomputer available, but
after using Apple IIs since '81, IBMs since '83, and Macs since '86,
there are just a lot more things that I happen to like about the Mac.
Call me crazy.

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (11/07/90)

    With all this talk about whether a Mac with Multifinder can multitask, I
 have a question.  I thought the Mac used interupts just as the GS uses
 interupts?  If this is the case, and as many have pointed out, this is not
 true multitasking.  You know what though, it does a good job and who really
 gives a flying.....well you know what I mean.  I use multifinder everyday
 here at school and although it crashes, more than I want, I really like it.
 If only there was the equivilant for the GS.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 at URIACC

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/08/90)

>>>...but most GS specific software is written for the graphic interface...

>>BUZZ...  Ever heard of ORCA/M, ORCA/C, etc. ?

>Sure I have.  Read more carefully.  I said "most", not "all".

Those were just examples.  True, there are a lot of IIgs applications
that use the desktop interface, and I've already admitted that the IIgs
just can't handle that interface very well yet.  However, there's plenty
of text stuff as well, AND the FTA stuff that makes the machine look
more impressive than any Mac I've seen (although, admittedly, it takes a
LOT of work to produce something that good, and it won't coexist with
anything else).

>>>And name abuse won't gain you any respect...

>>...I don't see any name abuse here.

> Read more carefully. "Macintrash" = name abuse.  You don't hear me
> saying "Granny Smith" or "Goddamn Slow" - whoops. ;-)  Really, I
> should have put a smiley after my comment.  I recall myself calling
> early machines from Tandy "Trash 80s". :)

Sorry; I didn't even see the (deliberate) misspelling of "Macintosh."  I
still do call Tandy's early machines "Trash-80s," but I still have one
at home (don't use it much), and the Z-80 is a REAL NICE processor
compared to the 65xxx series.

>>> Are you trying to say the Mac OS is large and requires more
>>> memory than GSOS?  Gee, last time I checked, you couldn't run
>>> AppleWorks GS at all on a 1MB GS but you can run most Mac
>>> software including Works and PageMaker on a 1MB machine.

>> The Mac OS _IS_ large.  In fact, it's HUGE.  Yes, you can run
>> AppleWorks GS on a 1.25MB GS.

> Granted, the Mac OS is huge, but GSOS is no less huge.  If you want
> a GUI with all kinds of resources for applications to use you're gonna
> pay big time with memory.

> Read more carefully.  I said a 1MB GS, not 1.25MB.  I just happen to
> have a 1.25 MB GS myself.  It barely runs AppleWorks GS with a
> bare bones setup but if I want Appleshare on as well I'm outa luck.
> GSOS is every bit, if not more, of a monster as the Mac OS.

I also have a 1.25 MB GS, and use AppleWorks GS now and then with no
problems at all.  And I don't have to go to a bare bones setup to do it.
 I don't normally have many DAs installed because I do a lot of
programming (software development in less than 2MB is tough on either
platform, but I manage quite well).  However, I DO have NiftyList 3.0
installed, which is pretty big for a CDA.  Are you using the latest
version (1.1) of AWGS?  Version 1.0 wouldn't unload a modult ot make
room for another; v1.1 will.

>> However, the fact is that there is a LOT of P8 and DOS 3.3 stuff out
>> there that IS designed for 64K or 48K or even 32K that has close to
>> the same functionality as programs that require 1MB or more on a
>> Mac.

> I totally agree (for once :)).  But you could do the same thing on any
> machine including the Mac if you're willing to code meticulously in
> assembler, provide a text based interface, and not have to worry
> about working cooperatively with anything else.

Well, not quite.  First, the Mac has NO text interface mode.  You simply
couldn't get the speed of pure text on a Mac; you'd still have to draw
all the characters.  On the IIgs or most other machines, it's not a
matter of providing a text-based interface, its a matter of NOT
providing a GUI.  Also, on the IIgs, most 8-bit software will support
CDA's (nice fast things because they don't use the GUI) with no
modification whatsoever.  On the Mac, to provide fast text-based stuff
you have to almost totally give up the functionality of the Mac OS.  On
the IIgs, it's simply not true.  GS/OS (or the Mac OS, for that matter)
isn't really whats all that huge.  Its the RAM-based toolsets that take
up all thr room.  Everytime a tool has to be patched because the ROM
verison is old, the tool has to be copied into RAM.  This takes up
space.  Software that requires 1.25 MB on a ROM 01 GS will often run in
only 1 MB on  a ROM 03 GS, simply because more of the tools and more
up-to-date versions are in ROM, and don't take up as much RAM.

>> Ahhh.. But the desktop interface is supposed to be what the Mac is
>> soo good at, right?  So why is it so slow?  And whether a program is
>> desktop or text-based doesn't determine what it can do, only how
>> the user does it.  Here, AppleWorks far outperforms MacWrite in
>> most situations, although it's really not a fair comparison since
>> MacWrite is not integrated software.  However, AppleWorks also
>> comes pretty close to or exceeds Works in most places.

> Please read more carefully.  I said "MacWrite is slow" and it's not the
> Mac OS that's the cause.  Like I said earlier, compare your favourite

I'll, admit that; I know there is faster Mac software out there, and I
agree that the AW-Classic vs. MacWrite comparison is simply not fair.
However, I also compared AW-Classic to MS Works for the Mac, which is a
program similar in functionality.  And in most places, AW-Classic comes
close to or exceeds Works.  Naturally, communications is an exception,
since AW doesn't have this feature.

> Apple II software to fast Mac software like WriteNow and you'll start
> to realize that good 'ol AppleWorks just ain't so fast. I've edited huge
> files with AppleWorks and boy do you notice the speed problems
> associated with bank switching 64K chunks of memory.

Yup.  Now compare it to faster Apple II software than AW.  And if AW is
written the way I think it is, it doesn't bother to bank-switch chunks
of memory on the IIgs.  It does, however, have the disadvantage that it
thinks it owns all the memory, and tends to destroy DAs.

> doesn't do or do well.  I don't even use White Knight, but I do use
> ZTerm, NCSA Telnet, MacIP, MacKermit, and QDial.  None of
> which are perfect, but they do provide me with capabilities that I need
> that are not available with any Apple II software.

Oh??  I admit that TCP/IP connections such as those provided by NCSA
Telnet or MacIP are not yet available on the IIgs, but that's onoly
because the software hasn't been written yet.  It is being written as we
speak.  MacKermit??  I know you've heard of Kermit-65 for the //; you
mentioned it in your letter.  I'm sorry, I haven't heard of ZTerm and
QDial, but I imagine you will find Apple // software that can do the
same things.

> and still stay completely integrated.  On the Mac you've got a
> consistent interface structure among applications,
That's what the desktop interface is designed for, and the IIgs does it
as well, if you are willing to stay within the GUI.

> a clipboard to move data among applications,
The IIgs has a Scrap Manager and a MessageCenter, too.

> many standard supported file formats, and MultiFinder to let you move
> quickly from one program to another.
The IIgs simply can't support something like MultiFinder due to the
current design of the Toolbox and OS.  However, this can be changed, as
LeapFrog demonstrates.

> All this makes committing yourself to one application with add-ins
> unecessary.  Microsoft Works on the Mac is really an example of
> unecessary integration that makes too many compromises.  Picking

In the case of Works, I agree.  I prefer to use Word for word processing
and Excel for database stuff, but you can't run MultiFinder effectively
in only 1MB.

> really good individual applications is the way to go on the Mac
> because the OS integrates them for you.  GSOS promises
> a lot of the same, but the fact that people tend to prefer sticking with
> AppleWorks Classic demonstrates that it just doesn't quite deliver.

Well, as I said, the IIgs just doesn't have MultiFinder yet.  So
integrated applications are a MUST.  And the available IIgs-specific
integrated stuff just isn't as good as AppleWorks Classic.  People stick
with AppleWorks Classic because they already have it, the only upgrade
path is to AWGS (I'm not sure even that path exists), and AW Classic
does the job better than most of the IIgs-specific stuff available.  I
have to make one exception for WordPerfect GS, which is an excellent
word processor.  Unfortunately, WP for the Mac simply doesn't compare to
other Mac word processors.

> The problem is probably not really GSOS, but hardware that is too
> slow and some applications that are too big, too buggy, or too limited.
> For me, I think it's more the grainy the 200 line resolution that turns
> me off GUI on the GS.

Me too.  I try to avoid the GUI as much as possible.  However, it is
possible to get 400 line resolution using the Apple VOC.

> there are just a lot more things that I happen to like about the Mac.

There are things I like about the Mac as well, but I am primarily an
Apple // user and will be for a long time to come.

> Call me crazy.

OK, I will.  You're crazy. :)  Maybe I am as well.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (11/11/90)

You it's funny... they're right when they say the Mac IS faster... but how much
faster...  not very much, huh?

Don't matter to me... by end of this month I'll be upgrading to a Apple IIgsx
thanks to Zip Chip Inc... which will of course FLY pass an SE which is faster
than a Plus...

Apple can take it's Mac and SHOVE IT...

That's only my opinion of course... oh, RAMFast makes my SCSI HD faster than
it's possible on a SE... I can upgrade with out having to dish out the amount
of money Apple wants... I mean I'd rather get a car then a fx, I don't need al
that, thanks

In article <m0iXy7o-0000ucC@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:

>Don't matter to me... by end of this month I'll be upgrading to a Apple IIgsx
>thanks to Zip Chip Inc... which will of course FLY pass an SE which is faster
>than a Plus...

>That's only my opinion of course... oh, RAMFast makes my SCSI HD faster than
>it's possible on a SE... I can upgrade with out having to dish out the amount
>of money Apple wants... I mean I'd rather get a car then a fx, I don't need al
>that, thanks

Well, I'd like to see some benchmarks... That is, unless you are AFRAID...

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/12/90)

>>> However, the fact is that there is a LOT of P8 and DOS 3.3 stuff out
>>> there that IS designed for 64K or 48K or even 32K that has close to
>>> the same functionality as programs that require 1MB or more on a
>>> Mac.

>> I totally agree (for once :)).  But you could do the same thing on any
>> machine including the Mac if you're willing to code meticulously in
>> assembler, provide a text based interface, and not have to worry
>> about working cooperatively with anything else.

>Well, not quite.  First, the Mac has NO text interface mode.  You simply
>couldn't get the speed of pure text on a Mac; you'd still have to draw
>all the characters.

Good point, but I really wouldn't want a true text only mode on the
Mac anyhow.  Getting away from all kinds of different 'modes',
whether it be text/graphics or different resolutions is a very good
thing in my opinion.  The world of IBM PCs is the worst for all its
'modes', but the Apple II world is pretty confusing too for the
novice.  (Not that I'd want to run an Apple IIe in a graphic only
mode or anything like that.)

Interesting thing to note is that a text editor like Vantage on the
Mac which does not support styled text (ie. you must display all
your text in one size and style) scrolls about the same speed as a
text only program like AppleWorks on an Apple II.

>>I said "MacWrite is slow" and it's not the Mac OS that's the cause.

>I'll, admit that; I know there is faster Mac software out there, and I
>agree that the AW-Classic vs. MacWrite comparison is simply not fair.
>However, I also compared AW-Classic to MS Works for the Mac, which is a
>program similar in functionality.  And in most places, AW-Classic comes
>close to or exceeds Works.

Ahh, but take a look at an ad for WriteNow and you'll see that Works
is even slower than MacWrite.  My own experience with Works leads me
to believe it is likely the slowest program available for the Mac.

There really are very few fair direct comparisons of software that
you can make between the Mac and the Apple II because of differing
capabilities and differing emphasis on what's important.  I can
think of a couple I'd like to try if I had the software, such as
Vantage versus the fastest 16 bit editor on the GS, and WriteNow
reformatting, spellchecking, and search/replace versus the fastest
word processor on the GS, but would anyone really care about the
results?

>>I don't even use White Knight, but I do use ZTerm, NCSA Telnet, MacIP,
>>MacKermit, and QDial.  None of which are perfect, but they do provide me
>>with capabilities that I need that are not available with any Apple II
>>software.

>Oh??  I admit that TCP/IP connections such as those provided by NCSA
>Telnet or MacIP are not yet available on the IIgs, but that's only
>because the software hasn't been written yet.  It is being written as we
>speak.

What software is available determines what you can do with a
computer.  Vapourware is no use to me.  That is why a Mac was
useless to me years ago when it first came out.  I could do far more
of the things I wanted to do using an Apple II in 1984/85 than I
could with the Mac.  But now it's the other way around.

>MacKermit??  I know you've heard of Kermit-65 for the //; you
>mentioned it in your letter.

Whoops, I was thinking of doing graphic terminal emulation, which
MacKermit *cannot* do.  PC-Kermit can.  I should have mentioned
VersaTerm, or the Mesa Graphics Terminal program both of which do
very nice Tektronics emulation and graphics captures.

>I'm sorry, I haven't heard of ZTerm and QDial, but I imagine you will
>find Apple // software that can do the same things.

Well, ZTerm provides complete ZMODEM protocol support, something
that ProTerm may have now (or very soon?).  QDial provides fast
repeat dialing capability with busy-detect, completely in the
background whether you run MultiFinder or not (it works as a vbl
task).

Gee, I wonder if we've exhausted this topic yet or not?  If we
haven't exhausted it, we've certainly beat on it pretty good. :)

Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (11/13/90)

>Good point, but I really wouldn't want a true text only mode on the
>Mac anyhow.  Getting away from all kinds of different 'modes',
>whether it be text/graphics or different resolutions is a very good
>thing in my opinion.  The world of IBM PCs is the worst for all its
>'modes', but the Apple II world is pretty confusing too for the
>novice.  (Not that I'd want to run an Apple IIe in a graphic only
>mode or anything like that.)

The worst thing about PC's???? It's the BEST thing about PC's...

Competition has given PC's the edge over II's and Mac's in terms of graphic
performance...EGA (which is now passe as far as PC's are concerned) is
a higher resolution than can be had on a Mac (not Mac II's though), Amiga
(not 3000 and not interlaced mode) and a GS. VGA can only be equaled by a
Mac II (even there it's reeelly slow). A few months ago in BYTE magazine,
there was a comparison of the video performance of a Mac II, and a Compaq
Deskpro 386 w/ VGA and with TIGA boards...The Compaq smoked the Mac in all
areas (it was a review for the Radius Quickcad display list processor - a
$1500 coprocessor board to enhance CAD performance - with the board, the Mac
could only equal the Compaq w/VGA, and it couldn't touch the Compaq w/TIGA
boards (TI 34010s and 34020s) and the board only works for line drawing
applications such as CAD.) Sure there are some compatibility problems but
it's nothing to worry about...all PC's quickly upgrade to the new standard.
Competition forces companies to produce better quality products rather than
work within existing limitations...if anything, the graphics options are why
PC's have taken the technological lead from Apple.

This is why I like Todd Whitsel's idea (though it is not exactly new) of
including a video direct slot in any future II's (even though we all know
there won't be any).

>Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

------------------------------
! Mark Orr                   !
! $CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !
------------------------------

USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/13/90)

>>Getting away from all kinds of different 'modes', whether it be
>>text/graphics or different resolutions is a very good thing in my
>>opinion. The world of IBM PCs is the worst for all its 'modes', but
>>the Apple II world is pretty confusing too for the novice.

>The worst thing about PC's???? It's the BEST thing about PC's...

There's still room for inovation and performance boosts with Mac video.
The advantage is simply that the user is not burdened with the hassle
of configuring software for the right 'mode' or making sure the software
they buy supports the video card they have.

If you've ever worked in technical support, managed a large library of
software, or were responsible for a network with a mixture of PCs with
differing graphic cards, you'd agree that graphic 'modes' are a major
pain in the posterior.

Compared to the Mac display, IBM was out to lunch until they brought out
VGA.  CGA is pathetic.  EGA is better, but still gives you enlongated
pixels (ie. a circle looks like an oval).  VGA is fine, but when you get
to higher resolutions and bigger screens, the software won't automatically
use these better capabilities.  you have to get new drivers or new versions
of programs to support extended VGA or XGA or whatever.

Sure, I agree about the advantages of competition - low, low prices.  But
that's more a function of the fact that there are gobs of IBM compatibles
and clones and all together they make up the vast majority of the market.
It really has little to do with what design IBM chose for its display.  If
IBM had gone with a video design similar to the Mac, there would still be
lots of clone cards and they would still be cheap.

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (11/13/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 12-Nov-90 Re: Apple II / Mac
discusson USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA (4071)

>>> I totally agree (for once :)).  But you could do the same thing on any
>>> machine including the Mac if you're willing to code meticulously in
>>> assembler, provide a text based interface, and not have to worry
>>> about working cooperatively with anything else.

>>Well, not quite.  First, the Mac has NO text interface mode.  You simply
>>couldn't get the speed of pure text on a Mac; you'd still have to draw
>>all the characters.

> Good point, but I really wouldn't want a true text only mode on the
> Mac anyhow.  Getting away from all kinds of different 'modes',
> whether it be text/graphics or different resolutions is a very good
> thing in my opinion.  The world of IBM PCs is the worst for all its
> 'modes', but the Apple II world is pretty confusing too for the
> novice.  (Not that I'd want to run an Apple IIe in a graphic only
> mode or anything like that.)

I have to disagree.  A mode in which text is directly generated by the
hardware has certain inherent advantages.  Note that because of the way
the IIgs is designed, all I/O actually occurrs at 1MHz, regardless of the
system speed.  Thus, even a text-only program on the IIgs is not as fast
as it should be.  However, I do agree about the PC.

> Interesting thing to note is that a text editor like Vantage on the
>Mac which does not support styled text (ie. you must display all
>  your text in one size and style) scrolls about the same speed as a
> text only program like AppleWorks on an Apple II.

Really?  I didn't know there was anything that could draw fast enough to be
equivalent to a true text mode.

>>>I said "MacWrite is slow" and it's not the Mac OS that's the cause.

>>I'll, admit that; I know there is faster Mac software out there, and I
>>agree that the AW-Classic vs. MacWrite comparison is simply not fair.
>>However, I also compared AW-Classic to MS Works for the Mac, which is a
>>program similar in functionality.  And in most places, AW-Classic comes
>>close to or exceeds Works.

> Ahh, but take a look at an ad for WriteNow and you'll see that Works
> is even slower than MacWrite.  My own experience with Works leads me
> to believe it is likely the slowest program available for the Mac.

I wouldn't be surprised.  I wasn't trying to compare speed in this
situation as much as
functionality.

> There really are very few fair direct comparisons of software that
> you can make between the Mac and the Apple II because of differing
> capabilities and differing emphasis on what's important.  I can
> think of a couple I'd like to try if I had the software, such as
> Vantage versus the fastest 16 bit editor on the GS, and WriteNow
> reformatting, spellchecking, and search/replace versus the fastest
> word processor on the GS, but would anyone really care about the
> results?

I don't know.  However, since I don't have the needed software either, we may
never find out.

>>>I don't even use White Knight, but I do use ZTerm, NCSA Telnet, MacIP,
>>>MacKermit, and QDial.  None of which are perfect, but they do provide me
>>>with capabilities that I need that are not available with any Apple II
>>>software.

>>Oh??  I admit that TCP/IP connections such as those provided by NCSA
>>Telnet or MacIP are not yet available on the IIgs, but that's only
>>because the software hasn't been written yet.  It is being written as we
>>speak.

> What software is available determines what you can do with a
> computer.  Vapourware is no use to me.  That is why a Mac was
> useless to me years ago when it first came out.  I could do far more
> of the things I wanted to do using an Apple II in 1984/85 than I
> could with the Mac.  But now it's the other way around.

That's because no one is willing to write for the // anymore.  That is largely
Apple's fault, although not entirely.

>>MacKermit??  I know you've heard of Kermit-65 for the //; you
>>mentioned it in your letter.

> Whoops, I was thinking of doing graphic terminal emulation, which
> MacKermit *cannot* do.  PC-Kermit can.  I should have mentioned
> VersaTerm, or the Mesa Graphics Terminal program both of which do
> very nice Tektronics emulation and graphics captures.

I admit I have yet to see a Tektronix emulator for the IIgs.  However, xterm
does a pretty nice one. :)

>>I'm sorry, I haven't heard of ZTerm and QDial, but I imagine you will
>>find Apple // software that can do the same things.

> Well, ZTerm provides complete ZMODEM protocol support, something
> that ProTerm may have now (or very soon?).  QDial provides fast
> repeat dialing capability with busy-detect, completely in the
> background whether you run MultiFinder or not (it works as a vbl
> task).

Yes, ProTerm has done it for quite some time now; at least since early this
summer when I bought version 2.2.  The Zmodem in v2.1 wasn't much
good, but it is quite improved in 2.2.

> Gee, I wonder if we've exhausted this topic yet or not?  If we
> haven't exhausted it, we've certainly beat on it pretty good. :)

I think we just about have.  Now, let's start beating on IBM. :)

--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (11/15/90)

Harry, in your post you say something like...

The lack of decenty color capabilities in 640x400
mode hampers any hopes of serious color processing.

Welp, dude... All I gotta say is get your hands on a GS that you have control
over and I'll show you stuff that will blow your little mind.

| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (11/16/90)

|>Don't matter to me... by end of this month I'll be upgrading to a Apple IIgsx
|>thanks to Zip Chip Inc... which will of course FLY pass an SE which is faster
|>than a Plus...
|
|>That's only my opinion of course... oh, RAMFast makes my SCSI HD faster than
|>it's possible on a SE... I can upgrade with out having to dish out the amount
|>of money Apple wants... I mean I'd rather get a car then a fx, I don't need
|all that, thanks
|
|Well, I'd like to see some benchmarks... That is, unless you are AFRAID...

Well, I don't have an SE, but let's put it this way... I can format my ST-296N,
which has a 34-blocks per track to 1:1 interleave... writing data is near
negliable in most cases because it's done in the back-ground... larger files...
I'll get back to you on that...

On the SE the best interleave for a 26 blocks per track RLL encoded SCSI HD is
3:1... there's more blocks on the ST296N then normal RLL drives and the RAMFast
can read that at 1:1 interleave.

I'll get you some benchmarks though...

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (11/21/90)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:

> Also, on the IIgs, most 8-bit software will support
> CDA's (nice fast things because they don't use the GUI) with no
> modification whatsoever.

Not quite; you have to give $50 of your good money to Roger Wagner for
P8CDA...

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

> For starters, the GS/OS does not support Adobe Laserfonts (nor will it ever
> according to apple) and that makes it hellish to do any serious DTP with a
> variety of standard fonts.  The lack of decenty color capabilities in 640x400
> mode hampers any hopes of serious color processing.  The lack of square pixels
> makes any precision work like DTP or WP a chore.

Hunnh? If the GS's pixels aren't square, then what the hell are they?
GS/OS supports some kind of fonts that will print quite nicely on a PostScript
printer, that's certain. Although I think Adobe's a major bitch for not making
an Imagewriter driver of their own for the GS that could print akin to ATM...

--

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Sheckel) (11/22/90)

In article <2551702@mtsg.ubc.ca> USERSIG@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:

>Compared to the Mac display, IBM was out to lunch until they brought out
>VGA.  CGA is pathetic.  EGA is better, but still gives you enlongated
>pixels (ie. a circle looks like an oval).

True, I was really disappointed with EGA.  The resolution is OK (640x350),
but the color palette used only 2 bits per primary color for a total of 64
different colors.  VGA, however, IMHO, is brilliant.  Beautiful graphics
from super cheap cards.  My friend just bought a VGA card with 1MB video
RAM and resolutions up to 1024x768 w/256 colors, for $165.

>VGA is fine, but when you get
>to higher resolutions and bigger screens, the software won't automatically
>use these better capabilities.  you have to get new drivers or new versions
>of programs to support extended VGA or XGA or whatever.

This is becoming a non-issue.  The only driver you really need nowadays
is a Windows driver, and one is included with every VGA card.  All Windows
applications use whatever graphics mode Windows uses.  The other problem
is CAD, and VGA cards usually come with tons of drivers for CAD programs.
This is all going to change, however, as these CAD programs are ported to
Windows and/or OS/2.  As for full-screen games, at least 90% of new games
use the fantastic VGA game mode (320x200 w/256 colors from a palette of
256K colors).  PC graphics have really changed in recent years.  Take a
look at a VGA game (like Wing Commander) and you'll see how far PC's have
gone.  Those of you who remember a game called Stellar 7 should check out
the brand new PC VGA re-release with solid-shaded 3D graphics.

People who dump on PC's these days should really take a second look.
--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/24/90)

On Wed, 21 Nov 90 10:27:54 GMT Avery Colter said:
>hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:
>
>> mode hampers any hopes of serious color processing.  The lack of square
>pixels
>> makes any precision work like DTP or WP a chore.
>
>Hunnh? If the GS's pixels aren't square, then what the hell are they?

about twice as tall as they are wide (in 640 mode) which makes it very
difficult to read black  text on a white background (in 640 mode) (at least,
for me, anyway).

>--
>Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
>(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:
>                  Something big and lovely!"         - The B-52s, "Channel Z"

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (11/30/90)

Man that's wierd. I sent this post (about multitasking) about a month
ago from Pro-Angmar and it is just now appearing on the internet.
I'm glad I post to from The World these days.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
               AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar