[comp.sys.apple2] Interrupt Driven Sound on the IIe

00csgunn@bsu-ucs.uucp (Apple II Forever) (12/01/90)

In article <2253.apple2.info.apple@pro-micol>,
 tomp@pro-micol.cts.com (Tom Peng) writes:

> After witnessing GS playing music at the background, my adventurous mind began
> to seek possibilities to create a music player for the 8-bits Apple IIs that
> will play beep and buzz at the background like the GS.

--- I assume that you are refering to BGSound by Parik Rao. Ive seen this
but I dont use it a lot. I do a lot of 8-bit stuff on my GS. BGsound has
a tendancy to mess with Bank 0 and Bank 1 when it checks for GS/OS...

>... After a bit reading, I
> came to the conclusion that the only way to do this is through some sort of
> multitasking using an interrupt such as the VBL.

--- As far as I know the VBL is only supported on the IIe w/Mouse and the
IIc... I dont mean that it doesnt exist.. You just cant turn it on or off.
You need a hardware device (Mouse) to do it..

> It would be easy to do with
> the GS since it has an vector which points to the subroutine that you want to
> call when VBL is on. However, I was unable to find a vector that the Apple IIs
> use for its VBL interrupt.

--- If you are doing it with the mouse (only way I know of) install an
   Interrupt Handler to Prodos and then do the calls to check for your
   interrupt.

> As I recall, the Apple II mouse uses VBL interrupt
> to update its stats, so perhaps there is a VBL vector for the Apple II as
> well? Hmmm... I just want to write a music player, now I probably have to
> write a full-blown multitasking application? Hmmm... anyone can help?

---- Yeah, Full blown is right. To play music on the GS you copy it into
DOC ram and tell the Equsonq to play it.. On a IIe you have to Click the
speaker to get sound in a loop. You might... Just might be able to execute
a few cycles of your main program when running this... But dont count on it..
What I mean is sound on a IIE is a very intensive loop driven routine..
You cant just start playing a sound and leave it... You have to do every click
I suppose it would be possible... But it would be verry tricky and It would
slow down programs something awfu.

Hope this helps..