[comp.sys.apple2] A+/Incider/Macintosh

rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Randal John Vose) (11/14/90)

Well, I received the "premier" issue of IDG's new Apple II/Mac magazine the
other day and I must say that I too was really disappointed with it.  It's
useless to repeat what's already been posted on the subject, but I figured
I'd add my two cents worth...

From what I gathered reading the issue, the guys at A+/Incider seem to feel
that my Apple II and it's survival are now solely based on the Macintosh.
Yeah, right. :-)  They had some really nice articles on how to network II's
and Macs together using Macintoshes as file servers and such-- wonderful,
but practical for the average Apple II user? I don't think so.  Don't get me
wrong (hold the flames, please!) netwoking for schools and small business
is a great idea, but I always thought that this magazine was sort of for
the "home" user-- maybe I was wrong.

Of course, there was that great chart about the Mac LC being aorund $400
cheaper than a GS-- a good point, but the followed "supported" getting an LC
with the statement that there were (from memory-- don't hold me to it...)
around 4000 Mac programs which would run on the LC and only around 1000 GS
programs.  I can swallow that, but they also made mention of how much Apple
"pushed" the Mac when it had no software.  It's too bad they failed to mention
that Apple didn't push the GS so hard, thus the lack of support.  This just
leads back to where we all were a month ago....flames everywhere.

All I can say is A2_Central-- here we come...pretty fitting that this issue
of A+/Incider was the last one before my subscription runs out.

Remember Softalk? I say someone starts publishing that again... great
magazine.  Too bad they folded (which is why I received A+, and then A+
was bought out, which is the ONLY reason I got Incider...).

        Randy Vose              | 1> Eveything is a learning experience.
rjv21207@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu       | 2> Be careful! You may get what you want.
  University of Illinois        | 3> "I told you so."
     Urbana/Champaign           |     -- Dianne Harmon's rules of life...

96964188@ucs.uwplatt.edu (Kevin Mergen) (11/20/90)

> Remember Softalk? I say someone starts publishing that again... great
> magazine.  Too bad they folded (which is why I received A+, and then A+
> was bought out, which is the ONLY reason I got Incider...).

Does anyone remember A+ by itself??  Does anyone now have a subscription to
Incider/A+???  Who thinks that A+ was a far better magazine than the magazine
that swallowed A+ up?  :)   Just curious...

+------------------------------------+ ____   _______________________________
| Kevin J. Mergen   aka `The Beggar' |/    \ /  BitNet : 96964188@uwplatt    \
+-----------------+------------------+  Hi  | InterNet : 96964188@uwplatt.edu +
| 421 Wilgus Hall | 9 Mohawk Circle  | Mom! | PhoneNet : 608/342-FEET [3338]  |
| Platteville, WI | Madison,WI 53711 |  :)  | SmurfNet : Gargamel is hungry!  |
+---------| Never let your sense of morals keep you from doing what is right. |
| KEVIN'S +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| DISCLAIMER: Opinions are one's own. The faculty and staff at the University |
| of Wisconsin - Platteville might not share my opinions. Blame me, not them. |
+________________---------------------------------------------________________+
                 \"To boldy go where no one has gone before."/

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (11/21/90)

.
 wisc.edu!ucs.uwplatt.edu!96964188@BLOOM-BEACON.MIT.EDU>

>> Remember Softalk? I say someone starts publishing that again... great
>> magazine.  Too bad they folded (which is why I received A+, and then A+
>> was bought out, which is the ONLY reason I got Incider...).

I remember Softalk...damn fine rag. Someone should start publishing that
again.

>Does anyone remember A+ by itself??  Does anyone now have a subscription to
>Incider/A+???  Who thinks that A+ was a far better magazine than the magazine
>that swallowed A+ up?  :)   Just curious...

I for one don't...many times I found myself accusing A+ of doing just what
inCider/A+ is doing now...inCider was fine until they bought A+ (well, I
didn't subscribe or buy inCider before they bought A+, to me, they were too
educationally oriented...too many Stickybear reviews) A+ was every bit the
paid propaganda mouthpiece that inCider/A+ is today (that is, after all,
IDG's forte - propaganda mouthpiece made to order). One hundred times out of
one hundred, I'd take Softalk over A+ or inCider/A+.

Anybody remember Peelings II, or Micro?

------------------------------
! Mark Orr                   !
! $CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !
!        @LSUVM.BITNET       !
------------------------------

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/22/90)

.

On Mon, 19 Nov 90 20:32:31 GMT Kevin Mergen said:

>Does anyone remember A+ by itself??  Does anyone now have a subscription to
>Incider/A+???  Who thinks that A+ was a far better magazine than the magazine
>that swallowed A+ up?  :)   Just curious...

I remember (wasn't very long ago).  I liked A+ better, mainly because of the
looks of the pages.  All the articles were bordered with a thin line, unlike
incider, which, for some uknown reason, really bothered me.  Another reason
I like A+ better is because of the Graphics Gallory they had each month.
Readers could send in their own artwork and have it published.  I had a whole
disk of stuff I was about to send in, then the next magazine I got in the mail
was INCIDER! :(  No Graphics Gallory.  Then the magazine started to shrink
untile I finally decided to let it go.  Then I got involved with GS+ (Much
better than the original A+, SERIOUSLY!).

>| Kevin J. Mergen   aka `The Beggar' |/    \ /  BitNet : 96964188@uwplatt    \

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (11/25/90)

In <9011212231.AA28912@apple.com> MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>.
> wisc.edu!ucs.uwplatt.edu!96964188@BLOOM-BEACON.MIT.EDU>

>On Mon, 19 Nov 90 20:32:31 GMT Kevin Mergen said:
>>
>>Does anyone remember A+ by itself??  Does anyone now have a subscription to
>>Incider/A+???  Who thinks that A+ was a far better magazine than the magazine
>>that swallowed A+ up?  :)   Just curious...

>I remember (wasn't very long ago).

Yeah, me too.  I even have some old issues lying around, when they still
covered the Mac.

>  I liked A+ better, mainly because of the
>looks of the pages.  All the articles were bordered with a thin line, unlike
>incider, which, for some uknown reason, really bothered me.

I liked A+'s printing style better too.  It was much easier for me to read
than inCider's font.  The only real interesting issue of inCider I got was
when they had that program BasicPaint which could do GS graphics through
AppleSoft.  Wasn't written very well though, and used the mouse through
BASIC, which was very fast not.  I rewrote the thing completely and put
together what I called BasicPaint II, which could use 256 colors/screen,
and have 4 screens loaded at once, ran on the then-minimum system of 256K,
and didn't give a shit about what GS/OS wanted.  (Even used /RAM (s3,d2)
for the program... once loaded, you can remove the 5.25" disk.)  Perhaps I
could upload that sometime...

>  Another reason
>I like A+ better is because of the Graphics Gallory they had each month.
>Readers could send in their own artwork and have it published.  I had a whole
>disk of stuff I was about to send in, then the next magazine I got in the mail
>was INCIDER! :(  No Graphics Gallory.

I thought they were going to try to keep with the Graphics Gallery, but
never did.  ("No.  Try not.  Do.  Or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda)

>  Then the magazine started to shrink
>untile I finally decided to let it go.  Then I got involved with GS+ (Much
>better than the original A+, SERIOUSLY!).

Perhaps I should look into that one.  I still subscribe to inCider (can
you believe that they defend that spelling so much that reader's letters
are edited so that it is always "inCider", EVEN WHEN IT STARTS A
SENTENCE) but I am thinking about changing.  However I still get a bit of
a chuckle every time I open the newest issue to the page that has the Mac
LC motherboard printed on one side, and the 7 slots of a //e on the other
with the heading "This is the most important part of any computer."  Nice
AE ad... I'll let my subscription die out by itself.

I did send in a quick little program to inCider, a way to use /RAM to
automatically position the aux part of a DHR screen, but they didn't print
it.  It was a graphics program ala my "The Screen Editor" for HGR, but
they wanted to print it as a quickie hint, and I get nothing.  Nope.
Sorry.

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    "I'm working the Eight Minus Zero Shift..."

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (11/27/90)

-> Perhaps I should look into that one.  I still subscribe to inCider (can
-> you believe that they defend that spelling so much that reader's letters
-> are edited so that it is always "inCider", EVEN WHEN IT STARTS A
-> SENTENCE) but I am thinking about changing.  However I still get a bit of

Yet, I've seen them mess up the Beagle Bros name many a time.. Folks LOVE to
add a period after Bros (as though it were an abbreviation). Well folks, there
is no period after the "Bros" part (unless you count the period after Inc when
using the full title "Beagle Bros, Inc.").

Oh well.. thought I'd throw in a lighter subject matter.

Mark Munz

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/02/90)

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) writes:

>a chuckle every time I open the newest issue to the page that has the Mac
>LC motherboard printed on one side, and the 7 slots of a //e on the other
>with the heading "This is the most important part of any computer."  Nice
>AE ad... I'll let my subscription die out by itself.

The SOBs haven't even sent me that issue yet, so I looked in one at the
shop. Yeah, I saw that ad from AE too, nice jab there.

I'll wait and see. I probably won't resubscribe, but it depends how much
useful stuff they have, i.e. will they keep up with GS Basics?

Even then it might not be worth seeing all this LC stuff.
--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: