[comp.sys.apple2] Programming Environment - Which to Get?

ccrovac@yogi.ucdavis.edu (11/26/90)

I've been seriously (finally) th{inking abw3out getting a decent
programming environment for my GS, and I've decided on either TML
Pascal II or Orca/Pascal.  Basically, I was wondering which one is
better.  I guess the most apt question would be which is less buggy?
[Kind of sad when that question is the one which determines product
choice].

I've also decided on getting Orca/C (used, cheap w/full dox) and would
like to know how seriously bug-ridden this system is.  We all know that
it has bugs, I want to know how bad it is.  I've heard of "i++" bugs
which would seem rather serious (although easly gotten around).

Are Orca/C bugs well documented by Byteworks (or user group
publications or something?)  I trust I'm not let alone to fend {off
bugs...(yes, I have the noteworthy people on the net...but that's
yet another problem :))

Thanks...in advance as always.
Oh...this topic has been hashed enough on the net...I think we could
all save bandwidth, if you just dropped your opinions/sugestions to
me via email.

Paul Hirose
pthirose@ucdavis.edu
ccrovac@yogi.ucdavis.edu
+ others in sig

|  Internet   pthirose@ucdavis.edu     : USnail Mail      : "Violence is the  |
|  BITNET     pthirose@ucdavis         :   Paul Hirose    :  last refuge of   |
|  UUCP       ucdavis!pthirose         :   230 A St, #18  :  the incompetent" |

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/02/90)

ccrovac@yogi.ucdavis.edu writes:

>I've also decided on getting Orca/C (used, cheap w/full dox) and would
>like to know how seriously bug-ridden this system is.  We all know that
>it has bugs, I want to know how bad it is.  I've heard of "i++" bugs
>which would seem rather serious (although easly gotten around).

It's workable. There are some window leaks and monitor crashes sometimes
though. I haven't had any trouble with postfix operators yet.

>Are Orca/C bugs well documented by Byteworks (or user group
>publications or something?)  I trust I'm not let alone to fend {off
>bugs...(yes, I have the noteworthy people on the net...but that's
>yet another problem :))

Unfortunately, it does look pretty much like you're on your own.
Mike says he gathers bug reports, and has a "someday, some way"
schedule for a next version of C.
--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: