[comp.sys.apple2] IIc hardware problem

jgieske@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John Erik Gieske) (12/02/90)

I hope somebody can help me out with this.  I have a 1984 Apple IIc with
a Fingerprint card.  The motherboard was replaced last year.  The problem is
sometimes, when I turn on the power, the disk drive makes a high pitched
screech.  Other symptoms are garbage on the screen, flickering power and
disk use lights.  Unfortuneately, this spectacular display of light and sound
has the habbit of writting over tracks 0-2!  And of course this is an
intermittent problem.  It first occurred about four years ago, after which
I proptly had it in for service.  They could not find anything wrong with it.
Therefore, they decided they would replace the whole drive, just to be safe.
The $360 they estimated was too expensive for a lack of a better idea.  It
didn't occur again until I came here to college.  The interesting thing was
that it died after booting up, when my foot touched the power supply (yes, I
have a surge protector).  It has been acting up quite a bit lately.  I had
an EE check out the power supply, and he said it was just fine.  Has anybody
ever had a similar experience, or ever heard of it ?  I would really appreciate
any suggestions/conjecture.  Thanks in advance!

John

| INTERNET: jgieske@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU  | "The concept of progress acts as a |
|                                        |  protective mechanism to shield us |
| USMail  : John Gieske                  |  from the terrors of the future."  |
|           Sierra Madre #32B            | "How often it is that the angry    |
|           Cal Poly                     |  man rages denial of what the inner|
|           SLO, CA      93410           |  self is telling him."             |
|                                        |                      Dune- Muad'Dib|

noahm@pro-freedom.cts.com (Noah Magram) (12/03/90)

Well.... It could be a falty wire iun your power supply. Or where you're
staying's voltage or wiring could have some effect on your system. Old wiring
messes up computers with lower resitance to that sorta thing (your ][c). Try
buying a lone noise filter, it might help.

                        Good luck!
ProLine: Noahm@pro-freedom               | "I only try to make the same
Internet: Noahm@pro-freedom.cts.com      | mistake a dozen times,"
UUCP: clark!pro-freedom!noahm            | --Skeeve, Mything Persons,
ARPA: clark!pro-freedom!noahm@nosc.mil   |    /\Robert Asprin/\