[net.space] Pioneer 10 leaves solar system

henry (04/26/83)

Approximately one hour ago (1700 EDT 25 April 1983), Pioneer 10's distance
from the sun exceeded that of Pluto (which at the moment is closer to the
sun than Neptune).  On 13 June 1983, Pioneer 10 will "pass" Neptune as well,
thereby becoming the first man-made object to leave the solar system.

silver (04/28/83)

Sorry to disagree with you, but crossing the orbit of any planet does not
make a spacecraft interstellar.  I argue that that event occurred precisely
at the moment the engines (or the planet it was passing -- did it use
gravity assist?) gave Pioneer 10 escape velocity.

preece (04/29/83)

#R:utzoo:-292900:uicsl:11100009:000:350
uicsl!preece    Apr 28 09:08:00 1983

Isn't it a little parochial to use the term solar system to
refer only to the portion of space swept by the known planets?
Even if we assume that there is no unknown planet (and this
assumption is doubted by perfectly respectable astronomers),
there is a much larger area of space occupied by objects that are
still controlled by the Sun's gravity.

CSvax:Pucc-H:Physics:crl@pur-ee.UUCP (05/02/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 delta 4/26/83; site burl.UUCP
Path:burl!spanky!ihnp4!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!CSvax:Pucc-H:Physics:crl
Date:Mon, 2-May-83 13:05:12 EDT

#R:utzoo:-292900:pur-phy:11400001:000:343
pur-phy!crl    May  2 09:39:00 1983

I disagree with the statement that a craft is interstellar when
it reaches the sun's escape velocity.  It could always brake to go
into some planetary orbit couldn't it?  Analogously, would we consider
the APOLLO missions interplanetary just because they exceeded earth's
escape velocity?

Charles LaBrec
pur-ee!Physics:crl
purdue!Physics:crl

karn@eagle.UUCP (05/03/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 delta 4/26/83; site burl.UUCP
Path:burl!spanky!hocda!houxz!houxm!mhuxa!mhuxj!mhuxt!eagle!karn
Date:Mon, 2-May-83 22:04:50 EDT

Yes, a spacecraft is indeed interstellar when it exceeds the sun's
escape velocity, unless of course it impacts some object standing in the
way.  Braking into orbit around a planet takes a considerable
amount of energy. The best look at a planet that can be achieved without
braking in a two-body situation (which is a very good approximation) is a
hyperbolic flyby.

The velocity required to reach the moon is not quite earth escape
velocity; it is approximately the velocity required to inject the
spacecraft into an elliptical orbit with the apogee at the moon's orbit
and perigee at the parking orbit altitude.  In fact, this is how lunar
missions were planned.  A simple two-body approximation was first made
(ignoring the moon) followed by computationally intensive numerical
integrations in which the various orbital parameters were iterated
until the "best" results for lunar orbit insertion were obtained.
There are still no simple analytic ways to optimize arbitrary multi-body
trajectory problems.

Phil