[comp.sys.apple2] If you got 5.0.3 before the official release READ THIS

toddpw@truebalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/27/90)

I and my friends got 5.0.3 from the developer CD 'night of the living disc'
a few months ago -- I've been experiencing some isolated file trashing errors
(mostly with shrconvert 2.1) and recently they've gotten worse. In fact things
got so weird that I am now back on 5.0.2 until I can get an official release
copy of 5.0.3.

My sources tell me that the copy of 5.0.3 on the developer CD was only there
so that people could demo the hypercard GS beta ... does anyone know what is
really going on here?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/27/90)

 The only thing changed between Living Disc and
golden master is the Laserwriter driver.

| Parik Rao, Univ. of California Santa Barbara... 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
|_America Online:AFA Parik_______________________________________GEnie:P.RAO_|

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/27/90)

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:

> The only thing changed between Living Disc and
>golden master is the Laserwriter driver.

Lovely. That means that something altogether different was causing the random
disk block overwrites. Maybe it's the ZipGS and the Ramfast firmware driver
corrupting the O/S cache and causing blocks to get written back to disk with
the wrong data in them...?

What is the 'known incompatibility' between the Zip and the Ramfast anyway,
and are Zip &/or CVT going to mail me or do I have to call them?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/28/90)

 You should send your Zip Chip GSX back to Zip and
they will perform a small modification (a rewire I
believe).  You may wish to call them and ask how to
do the mod yourself, but I'd recommend against it.

Something else to check is the seeming
incompatibilities between the Apple SCSI drivers and
the RAMFast.  I had problems having them both online
(however, I didn't have a DMA SCSI online at the
same time...)  At any rate, if you do have another
SCSI card in your system, remove the RAMFast driver.
It'll chug it down a bit slower, but your other
SCSI card will function properly.

| Parik Rao, Univ. of California Santa Barbara... 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
|_America Online:AFA Parik_______________________________________GEnie:P.RAO_|

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (12/04/90)

There was a compatiblity problem with ZipGSX and RAMFast several weeks ago in
Nov.  it was hammered out a week after it appeared.  The problem was on the
ZipGSX.  The latest version of ZipGSX is 1.01 or something like that.  You
should get in contact with Zip if you have version 1.00 in anycase.

Uh oh, NOW what...