[comp.sys.apple2] GSOS via anon-ftp... we're looking into it

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (11/27/90)

After getting tired of getting the runaround from the
local Apple dealer (the only one around that acknowledges
the existence of the IIgs), I called Apple's 800 number prepared
to be mean and nasty. I never got the chance. The person
I talked to said she would call my local dealer and
attempt to educate them about how to download 5.0.3 however
they are supposed to, but failing that she said she'd
mail me a copy also.

While I was on the phone, I mentioned how nice it would be
if GS/OS was available for anonymous FTP on the internet.
I gave a basic description of the internet and the anonymous
FTP process, and she said she'd look into it. While this
could, of course, just be customer pacification techniques
in action, I'm going to follow up on this and see if
we at uop.edu can't get permission to put current and
future versions of GS/OS up for anonymous FTP. Opinions
and thoughts are welcome. Naysaying and discouragement
are not. :-)

--
Nick Sayer              | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/27/90)

Apple has had plans to do exactly this for a while... try ftp.apple.com and
see if anything has shown up yet.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (12/04/90)

... toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>Apple has had plans to do exactly this for a while... try ftp.apple.com and
>see if anything has shown up yet.

Hmm, upon connecting, it said its name was bric-a-brac.apple.com, and
ended with:

221 CUL8R

Is there an IP# for ftp.apple.com, or is that the right place?  (No files
listed in '/'.)

--
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    The trigger has been pulled.  We've got to get

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/06/90)

You said to try to FTP apple.com to see if anything was there... Well, I
was there about 3 days ago, and no, nothing showed up -- however, the Mac
system software is available (of course).