[comp.sys.apple2] 5.0.3 Solution?

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (11/30/90)

I was unable to get the copy of system 5.0.3, which was sent to me through
E-mail to work.  I decided to wait until it became available at the local
Macintosh dealer (who happen to carry Apple IIs also).

Last week, I bought the new Beagle Bros Platinum Paint (all others pale
in comparison, there are a few bugs but it's better than any of the others
I've seen - honest!).  Since it was bundled with 5.0.3, I decided to look at
the toolbox and check out the difference.

I copied the tools into my toolbox on 5.0.2 (on my hard drive), I then copied
the ImageWriter Printer Driver into the drivers folder.  I know that people
say you shouldn't do this because of the new resource forks and all, but my
GS has never worked better!  I can easily switch between two drives instead of
going through all four, my AppleWorks GS printouts have never been nicer,
even at large point sizes I have yet to have a problem (knock on wood).

I don't know if this is the solution some of you are looking for or if I have
just been lucky enough not to come across any problems yet.

I hope this helps!

Michael Heintz
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) (12/01/90)

I have an AWGS file with all my various system fonts typed out in full so I
can see what fonts have what.  Until the the System 5.0.3 IW driver came out,
I've never been able to print them.  Now I've got a nice booklet I can
reference to find that special character I need anytime.  Nice to have.  :)
                                                                      /
                                                       \             / /
______________________________________________________  \\\' ,      / //
            ProLine:   pro-grouch!lhaider                \\\//,   _/ //,
               INET:   lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com         \_-//' /  //<,
    /\\        UUCP:   crash!pro-grouch!lhaider             \ ///  <//`
   //\\\       UUCP:   crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil     /  >>  \\\`__/_
  ///\\\\                                                   /,)-^>> _\` \\\
 ////\\\\\     The opinions expressed here belong to        (/   \\ //\\
// IIgs \\\    no entity(s), living or dead!                    // _//\\\\
------------------------------------------------------        ((` ((

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (12/03/90)

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:

>I have an AWGS file with all my various system fonts typed out in full so I
>can see what fonts have what.  Until the the System 5.0.3 IW driver came out,
>I've never been able to print them.  Now I've got a nice booklet I can
>reference to find that special character I need anytime.  Nice to have.  :)
>                                                                      /

Have you had problems deleting in the AWGS word processing module?
Since I installed 5.03 the delete doesn't show the line properly when a
character is deleted.  I can page up then back down and it cleans it up,
but it is anoying.

Some fonts also seem to wipe out parts of previously typed characters as
I type.  Anyone seen this?

                                                       \             / /
>______________________________________________________  \\\' ,      / //
>            ProLine:   pro-grouch!lhaider                \\\//,   _/ //,
>               INET:   lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com         \_-//' /  //<,
>    /\\        UUCP:   crash!pro-grouch!lhaider             \ ///  <//`
>   //\\\       UUCP:   crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil     /  >>  \\\`__/_
>  ///\\\\                                                   /,)-^>> _\` \\\
> ////\\\\\     The opinions expressed here belong to        (/   \\ //\\
>// IIgs \\\    no entity(s), living or dead!                    // _//\\\\
>------------------------------------------------------        ((` ((

Rick Fincher
rnf@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu

karrot@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Karen E Sarnowski) (12/03/90)

The problem with back space. I think it can be elimited by removing
grafspeed and shandow inits.

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (12/04/90)

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:

>Have you had problems deleting in the AWGS word processing module?
>Since I installed 5.03 the delete doesn't show the line properly when a
>character is deleted.  I can page up then back down and it cleans it up,
>but it is anoying.

>Some fonts also seem to wipe out parts of previously typed characters as
>I type.  Anyone seen this?
>
>Rick Fincher
>rnf@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu

I found that it was the CLOSEVIEW new desk accessory that was messing up
AWGS, NOT system 5.03.  It is installed as an init and modifies the
system to catch things written to windows.  It is an Apple written
program for the visually impaired.

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (12/05/90)

>>Have you had problems deleting in the AWGS word processing module?
>>Since I installed 5.03 the delete doesn't show the line properly when a
>>character is deleted.  I can page up then back down and it cleans it up,
>>but it is anoying.

>I found that it was the CLOSEVIEW new desk accessory that was messing up
>AWGS, NOT system 5.03.  It is installed as an init and modifies the
>system to catch things written to windows.  It is an Apple written
>program for the visually impaired.

I had similar problems when using an init that was supposed to speed up
scrolling in windows...I forgot the exact name...

+----------"Maturity is overrated" - Garfield-------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) (12/06/90)

>Have you had problems deleting in the AWGS word processing module?
>Since I installed 5.03 the delete doesn't show the line properly when a
>character is deleted.  I can page up then back down and it cleans it up,
>but it is anoying.
>
>Some fonts also seem to wipe out parts of previously typed characters as
>I type.  Anyone seen this?

Try clicking on the grow box to clean up the screen.  It's quicker than
scrolling.

Yes, I've had this problem.  It seemed especially pronounced when I had
GrafSpeed and Shadow Inits in my System.Setup folder.  Hopefully the neat
little inits will be revised to take advantage of the new GS/OS system.
Also, I understand Apple will be releasing System Software 5.04.  Maybe
that'll clear up a few things.
                                                                      /
                                                       \             / /
______________________________________________________  \\\' ,      / //

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (12/07/90)

From rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher):

> I found that it was the CLOSEVIEW new desk accessory that was messing up
> AWGS, NOT system 5.03.  It is installed as an init and modifies the system
> to catch things written to windows.  It is an Apple written program for
> the visually impaired.

    Interesting... I've seen CloseView on the Mac before.  Was CloseView (for
the GS) included on System 5.0.3?  I don't remember seeing it anywhere...

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |