[comp.sys.apple2] Laser 128, a clone of what?

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (12/05/90)

    A few days ago someone asked if the Laser 128 is a //e or //c clone.
Every now and then the Apple magazines publish little programs that check
certain memory locations in ROM.  On Lasers the programs state that they are
Enhanced //e's.

   Hope this helps.

David R. Brierley
davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

PETERSO@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (12/06/90)

On the subject of "What is a Laser128?"more or less; Has anyone had any
success with any decent comm programs on the Laser128? Kermit 3.82 crashes
on mine as soon as I tell it to connect. I want to download programs,
obviously, as well as log onto the mainframe IBM at my job. Any help
will be appreciated, because I especially don't want to get a program
that costs money, and have it also crash on me. Thanks.
-------
THOMAS K. PETERSON
3 TATHUM TRACE
GANSEVOORT, NY 12831
HOME: (518) 695-3659
WORK: (518) 387-6426
BITNET: PETERSO@GECRDVM1

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony Jerome Stuckey) (12/06/90)

PETERSO@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:

>On the subject of "What is a Laser128?"more or less; Has anyone had any
>success with any decent comm programs on the Laser128? Kermit 3.82 crashes
>on mine as soon as I tell it to connect. I want to download programs,
>obviously, as well as log onto the mainframe IBM at my job. Any help
>will be appreciated, because I especially don't want to get a program
>that costs money, and have it also crash on me. Thanks.

/// you have to use a serial board definition other than the "Super Serial
Card" for kermit to work.  Microtek i think is the one that worked for me.
     I own a Laser 128 and use Kermit 3.86, with few to no problems.
     My personal feeling is IIe, and I beleive that's what's stated.

Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (12/07/90)

>success with any decent comm programs on the Laser128? Kermit 3.82 crashes

Try ProTERM.  Current version is 2.2, and is about $70 or so.  Well
worth the money.  Loads of emulations and transfer protocols.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon
           We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little looney....

twg.alan@pro-harvest.cts.com (Alan Morales) (12/08/90)

>On the subject of "What is a Laser128?"more or less; Has anyone had any
>success with any decent comm programs on the Laser128? Kermit 3.82 crashes
>on mine as soon as I tell it to connect. I want to download programs,
>obviously, as well as log onto the mainframe IBM at my job. Any help
>will be appreciated, because I especially don't want to get a program
>that costs money, and have it also crash on me. Thanks.

        I know that ProTERM v2.2 (the latest version) is able to run on a
Laser 128.  This piece of software is not PD though, it's commercial.  It is
published by InSync software and can be purchased through many mail order
companies in inCider or Nibble.  You should really consider this term program,
since it is one of the better ones available for any II.