[comp.sys.apple2] Roll your own Apple floppy drives. Possible?

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (12/04/90)

How difficult is it to go to, for example, Fry's and pick up
a 3.5" bare drive mechanism (or 5.25") and hook it up to
my Apple smartport? Does it matter tremendously that such drives
don't usually have self-eject mechanisms? Can anyone recommend
a course of action on this idea?

Secondly, I have a Disk ][ hooked up to my //gs smartport. Why
doesn't GS/OS talk to it properly? Can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

--
Nick Sayer              | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/04/90)

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:

>How difficult is it to go to, for example, Fry's and pick up
>a 3.5" bare drive mechanism (or 5.25") and hook it up to
>my Apple smartport? Does it matter tremendously that such drives
>don't usually have self-eject mechanisms? Can anyone recommend
>a course of action on this idea?

Don't. You will probably fry your computer trying. Unless you can get enough
documentation on that bare drive to know what pins match to what you are
probably not going to get anywhere.

>Secondly, I have a Disk ][ hooked up to my //gs smartport. Why
>doesn't GS/OS talk to it properly? Can this be fixed?

Huh? Don't you have AppleDisk5.25 in your system/drivers folder?

Launch installer and install Appledisk 5.25 on your boot disk. When you reboot
you'll get a little icon of the unidisk 5.25 (looks like a half-height 5.25).
Double click on it to get it to check for a new disk, because the 5.25 drives
don't have disk-presence detect hardware.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jeffh@HyperMail.apple.com (Jeff Holcomb) (12/05/90)

In article <kFRdK6c@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer)
writes:
> How difficult is it to go to, for example, Fry's and pick up
> a 3.5" bare drive mechanism (or 5.25") and hook it up to
> my Apple smartport? Does it matter tremendously that such drives
> don't usually have self-eject mechanisms? Can anyone recommend
> a course of action on this idea?

I think it would be impossible.  The Apple 3.5" drive uses a Sony
mechanism, but if you take it apart, it has a small board at the back of
the drive that has one or two custom Apple chips.  AE had to essentially
duplicate that converter board in order to get the Sony HD mechanism to
work on the GS (or Mac).

Jeff Holcomb                 Internet: jeffh@HyperMail.apple.com
                            AppleLink: jeffh@HyperMail.apple.com@INTERNET#
                                GEnie: A2.JEFFH
Contracting for Apple ATG       Voice: (408) 974-0841

         My opinions are not necessarily those of Apple.  :-P

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (12/08/90)

|How difficult is it to go to, for example, Fry's and pick up
|a 3.5" bare drive mechanism (or 5.25") and hook it up to
|my Apple smartport? Does it matter tremendously that such drives
|don't usually have self-eject mechanisms? Can anyone recommend
|a course of action on this idea?
|
|Secondly, I have a Disk ][ hooked up to my //gs smartport. Why
|doesn't GS/OS talk to it properly? Can this be fixed?

Try impossible.  Apple uses a Sony mech floppy drive, which has variable speed
control... the speed of how fast the disk spins varies depending on where R/W
head is... OK, near impossible... it's just not practical, I think.  I beleive
AMR does something like this... doesn't work too great.  Needs a disk to be in
it or GSOS thinks there's an unformatted disk in it.

What do you mean by GSOS not talking to your Disk ][ drive???  You did put the
driver for the 5.25" disk, right?  Driver as in device driver, files found in
/System.Tools/System/Tools?

If you can't find it or don't know how, use the Installer program.

whitewolf@gnh-starport