[comp.sys.apple2] PostScript to disk?

4224_5117@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/25/90)

    Has anyone been successful in using the LaserWriter driver to print a
PostScript file to disk?  I now have access to a LW IINT at school on the VAX
and would like to be able to print out my Apple stuff.  I remember reading of
someone who was able to do this (I don't remember the magazine) but when I was
playing with a driver I had written to access the serial port, I was unable to
get the LaserWriter driver to run without an AppleTalk driver running as the
port.  If there isn't another way, would it be possible to write a port driver
that "pretended" to be an AppleTalk driver but instead wrote output to a disk
file.  I've written a number of drivers, so I can handle that part, I just
wanted to hear any comments on the best way of doing it before I go to all the
work.

       Thanks in advance,

              Mike Hackett

warren.e@pro-beagle.cts.com (Warren Ernst) (11/26/90)

I haven't been able to get Postscript files onto disk either, using Publish
It!3. I read somewhere (A2-Central, I believe) that they managed to do it as
long as there weren't any graphics in the ducument other than Postscript stuff
or text.

Anyone had any better luck, or is TimeWorks lying to us again?

-Warren Ernst                           Beagle Bros Techie
warren.e@pro-beagle
opinions expressed by Warren aren't necessarily those of Beagle Bros, but then
again, maybe they are....

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (11/27/90)

In article <25989.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle>, warren.e@pro-beagle (Warren Ernst) writes:

>I haven't been able to get Postscript files onto disk either, using Publish
>It!3. I read somewhere (A2-Central, I believe) that they managed to do it as
>long as there weren't any graphics in the ducument other than Postscript stuff
>or text.
>
>Anyone had any better luck, or is TimeWorks lying to us again?

I've been printing Postscript Files to disk for a while now.  What I've done
is set up PublishIt!3 as though it had a Laserwriter connected to it.
Then in the Print Dialog box, select "Print to Disk" or whatever it says
and it will create a file on disk in the PublishIt default directory
called POSTSCRIPTn (where n is a sequential number starting at 0).
It's worked like a charm for me and I even have some graphics in my
document.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) (12/08/90)

Mike, to print to disk using the Laserwriter driver you will need to RENAME the
driver (I rename mine after the version number) so that LASERWRITER becomes
LASERWRITER3.1 (the latest version) in the DRIVERS folder of your boot disk.
Now you will need to reboot and then select that driver (Laserwriter3.1) from
the DIRECT CONNECT CDEV. Once all that is done, load your document and set up
the page as you desire.
    Now, to print to disk HOLD DOWN the OPEN APPLE F keys while simultaneously
CLICKING on OKAY in the PRINT dialog. This will put a text file (called
PostscriptGSxx...xx being a two digit number) in your DRIVERS folder. This file
can then be sent to a Laserwriter (or other Postscript capable printer)
    On the Mac side you will need the Font downloader program to send the text
file to the printer. Send the file (not a font).
    Hope this helps you.
INET: /\_/\  kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com
     / o o \ America Online: KimBrennan
                     ))