[comp.sys.apple2] WARESEARCH

peteh@pro-applephelia.cts.com (Pete Heimlich) (11/30/90)

I'm one of those diehards who uses a ][e for running my business. I've been
trying to chase down a ware that's discontinued by the company and haven't had
any luck. It's DAC Easy Accounting. If anybody has a copy or can turn me on to
a source, please drop a piece of e-mail. Thanks!
----
ProLine:  peteh@pro-applephelia
Internet: peteh@pro-applephelia.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-applephelia!peteh
ARPA:     crash!pro-applephelia!peteh@nosc.mil

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (12/01/90)

   I don't think my first message made it through so I'll try again.

   I was wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't format a Prodos disk
at 1:1 interleave.
   I've heard all the things about GSOS not being able to handle 1:1 all of the
time but with a Transwarp GS and diversi cache, I think I could.  Why?  well,
I was using MacTrans GS to transfer some files (background:  I heard that
HFS disks are formatted at 1:1 interleave) and MacTrans read them so fast I
was really amazed.  It read a 120K file in about 5 seconds (much faster than
GS/OS could).  I decided that it must be the 1:1 interleave.

   anyway, is there a program to format 1:1?  Is it possible (I mean like
can Prodos structure handle 1:1?  I'm pretty sure it can).

thanks for any help....

--
  Collin Douglas                  |  "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt
                                  |   and uncertainty."
  cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  |
  America Online:  CollinD        |   -Douglas Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (12/03/90)

>    I've heard all the things about GSOS not being able to handle 1:1 all of
> the time but with a Transwarp GS and diversi cache, I think I could.  Why?
>  well, I was using MacTrans GS to transfer some files (background:  I heard
> that HFS disks are formatted at 1:1 interleave) and MacTrans read them so
> fast I was really amazed.  It read a 120K file in about 5 seconds (much
> faster than GS/OS could).  I decided that it must be the 1:1 interleave.

    One thing you didn't mention:  are you using an Apple 3.5 Drive, or a
UniDisk 3.5" drive?  The UniDisk can only handle the slower 4:1 interleave.  I
can read in a 150K file in under 5 seconds with my floppy (no TransWarp, no
ZipGS, nothing).  The data transfer times for the Mac and the GS are identical
(32K/sec maximum), so the interleaving isn't affecting anything.  I've never
heard of a floppy disk formatted at 1:1.  Heck, if Photonix won't let you do
it, then you probably CAN'T do it... :)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (12/03/90)

In article <246@generic.UUCP> taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>(32K/sec maximum), so the interleaving isn't affecting anything.  I've never
>heard of a floppy disk formatted at 1:1.  Heck, if Photonix won't let you do
>it, then you probably CAN'T do it... :)
>
>\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
>/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
>\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
>/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
>\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
>/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

I'm pretty sure you can set the interleave to just about anything (16:1??)
How many sectors are on one track anyways? ZZ Copy 1.0 let you set the
interleave anywhere from 1:1 to 9:1, but they probably took the weirder ones
out since there isn't really a practical use for them (who wants to make
disk access slower?)

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (12/08/90)

|I'm pretty sure you can set the interleave to just about anything (16:1??)
|How many sectors are on one track anyways? ZZ Copy 1.0 let you set the
|interleave anywhere from 1:1 to 9:1, but they probably took the weirder ones
|out since there isn't really a practical use for them (who wants to make
|disk access slower?)

There are 10 block/sectors per track, 80 tracks per side, 160 tracks per disk.
10 * 160 = 1600 blocks.

whitewolf@gnh-starport

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (12/08/90)

|    One thing you didn't mention:  are you using an Apple 3.5 Drive, or a
|UniDisk 3.5" drive?  The UniDisk can only handle the slower 4:1 interleave.  I
|can read in a 150K file in under 5 seconds with my floppy (no TransWarp, no
|ZipGS, nothing).  The data transfer times for the Mac and the GS are identical
|(32K/sec maximum), so the interleaving isn't affecting anything.  I've never
|heard of a floppy disk formatted at 1:1.  Heck, if Photonix won't let you do
|it, then you probably CAN'T do it... :)

Actually, there is a P8 program, share/free ware that will let you format 1:1
interleave.  I forget the name off hand, but I have it somewhere.

Hmmm, now that I have a ZipGSX, I might just try formatting them 1:1
interleave.
whitewolf@gnh-starport

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (12/09/90)

On Sat, 8 Dec 90 01:30:52 CST Tae Song said:
>|I'm pretty sure you can set the interleave to just about anything (16:1??)
>|How many sectors are on one track anyways? ZZ Copy 1.0 let you set the
>|interleave anywhere from 1:1 to 9:1, but they probably took the weirder ones
>|out since there isn't really a practical use for them (who wants to make
>|disk access slower?)
>
>There are 10 block/sectors per track, 80 tracks per side, 160 tracks per disk.
>10 * 160 = 1600 blocks.
>
>whitewolf@gnh-starport

ProDOS takes advantage of the fact that the outer tracks of 3.5" disks are
larger than the inner tracks, so the closer you get to the edge of the disk,
the more blocks per track there are.  I think there are about 3 or 4 different
'sections' on the disk.  Each section has a different amount of blocks.
I forgot which book that's in.  It's one of these:

Exploring the Apple IIGS
Apple IIGS Technical Reference
Exploring GS/OS

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (12/09/90)

In article <m0ihxtF-000089C@jartel.info.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>|I'm pretty sure you can set the interleave to just about anything (16:1??)
>|How many sectors are on one track anyways? ZZ Copy 1.0 let you set the
>|interleave anywhere from 1:1 to 9:1, but they probably took the weirder ones
>|out since there isn't really a practical use for them (who wants to make
>|disk access slower?)
>
>There are 10 block/sectors per track, 80 tracks per side, 160 tracks per disk.
>10 * 160 = 1600 blocks.
>
>whitewolf@gnh-starport

Wrong.

Here's how it works:

Tracks	#sectors/track
0-15	12		12*16=192
16-31	11		11*16=176
32-47	10		10*16=160
48-63	9		9*16 =144
64-79	8		8*16 =128
		Total     => 1600

The disk speed varies at five different speeds depending what track you
are on.

--
	Jerry Penner		...!alberta!bode!jpenne