[comp.sys.apple2] COUT&GETLN

v38611d@taltta.hut.fi (Tero Korento) (12/02/90)

O.k., some real basic questions:

  Under prodos8 and basic.system, how do I hook
  my own routines into COUT and GETLN $36-$39 ? and
  where in memory is a good place to keep the routines
  out of the way when they are < 256 bytes long

...not assembly sice the days of 3.3

--- Tero Korento ---

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (12/05/90)

When you say you want to "hook into" COUT and GETLN what do you mean?
Do you want to substitute your own routines, or simply use the existing
ones?

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Vernon L. Williams         | Electronic Mail:    vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  |
|Thomas J. Watson Library   | Campus Mail:        130 Uris Hall               |
|Columbia University        | Phone Mail:         212-854-6798                |

v38611d@taltta.hut.fi (Tero Korento) (12/05/90)

What I wanted to  do was substitute my own routines but I already
got that information, now what I want to know is where to put
a routine less than 256 bytes in memory to keep it out of the way.

--- Tero Korento ---

reeder@reed.bitnet (Doug Reeder,,,2343817) (12/09/90)

The best place in memory for short machine-language programs is page 3
($300.$3CF)

APPLICATIONS (SYSTEM PROGRAMS) SHOULD NOT USE THIS SPACE!!!!!!  WITHOUT THIS
SPACE THERE IS NOWEHERE TO PUT SMALL ADDITIONS TO THE PRODOS MLI!!!  such as
device drivers, clock drivers, and print spoolers.  I have a very nice clock
routine for my hardware clock-less IIc using the VBL interrupts.  Much of
the time I can't use it because of system programs that overwrite page 3.
If they didn't, I could use it all the time, and make a print spooler that
would continue under other system programs than the one that set it in
motion.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/10/90)

reeder@reed.bitnet (Doug Reeder,,,2343817) writes:

>The best place in memory for short machine-language programs is page 3
>($300.$3CF)

>APPLICATIONS (SYSTEM PROGRAMS) SHOULD NOT USE THIS SPACE!!!!!!  WITHOUT THIS
>SPACE THERE IS NOWEHERE TO PUT SMALL ADDITIONS TO THE PRODOS MLI!!!  such as

Sorry, but Apple never forbid SYS programs from using that space. You are
better off hiding your code in the 'reserved' language card areas. There's
a tech note that describes which areas are off limits, so as long as you
stay aware of how prodos versions use the reserved area (if at all) you are
fine.

Just because it works under basic doesn't justify harshing on programmers
who are fully within their rights. I agree it would be really nice if
nobody used that space, but it's too late to stop it.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu