[net.space] Haleys Comet

sab (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 10:56:31 EDT

How close is Haley's Comet going to get to the earth
on its next pass in 1986(?)? Some people out here in
un-astronomy land are saying that it will make its
closest pass ever, with all sorts of terrifying results
on earth. I have also heard that it will be on the far
side of the solar system, and not even visible to the
naked eye. If you think this is too elementary for the
newsgroup, mail responses rather than posting.

Thanks.

Scott

atl (05/12/83)

The comet will not approach to within 40 million miles of the earth, and it
will not  even begin to approach its brightness of the 1910 apparition. In
fact it will probably be a very dissapointing sight!

p.s. That's what you get for reading National Enquirer, brain-death!

mabgarstin (05/13/83)

   Plaease post any pertinant info on Haley's comet, I think a lot of us out
here would like to know and I personally think that it is not something too
elementary for this news group.

                                                      MAB

geo (05/14/83)

I recall "Comet Kohoutek" back in 1975.  When it was discovered there
were some articles in newspapers that said it would rival Halley's
comet.  But when it arrived you needed binoculars to even see it.

When it was all over, I read that the reason it had been so
disappointing was  light pollution.  The last time Halley's comet
was visible was 1910, when there was a lot less light pollution.

So don't count on an impressive show.

	Cordially, Geo Swan, Integrated Studies, University of Waterloo
	(allegra|decvax) !watmath!watarts!geo