[comp.sys.apple2] Number of //gs units sold

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (12/11/90)

In article <10426@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>I now have read two replies which claim apple has sold over 1 million
>Apple //gs systems.  I have never seen this in print.  Could someone
>give me a reference to support this figure?

I've seen it on the net a few times before, I think from an Apple
employee.  I think the authors of Crystal Quest used this figure when pleading
for money...

[...]
>                                                          Although
>1 million computers is small potatoes today, I still think it's a
>large enough market to attain the "critical mass" required by
>various developers to support a machine.  That's why I have trouble
>believing this figure.

Look at the support for educational software and products, and try
to belive again.  Most of the //gs systems are in schools; they run all
the //e stuff, plus new GS stuff, and only cost about $100 more for
educators.

Better yet, think about the contents of magazines like inCider/A+, and
the trend at AppleFest toward educational seminars.

Since schools don't buy games or fancy hardware, the actual consumer
base for most products is considerably less than $1 million.

Do you belive this one: Despite all of Apple's overt attempts to sway people
away from purchasing the Apple II, despite its mediocre capabilities,
despite not being sold in most foreign countries, enough people are still
buying the Apple //gs for home/business use to make it worth manufacturing?

Or, better yet: Even though they have a large number of existing Apple II
systems, including hardware and software, schools are going to switch to
vastly more expensive Macintosh systems?

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden