[comp.sys.apple2] a question of portability

maye_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Mayer) (12/02/90)

I've never seen this discussed before, but know in the back of my mind that
somewhere it has appeared before. I will therefore ask anyway.

There are a plethora of files on such archives like brown.brown.edu and others
that are/seem to be in standard shrinkit format...

This in itself would not be a problem...but I have no way to get to them
without
using FTP through my Unix account on the university system. I attempted to
retrieve them with streaming mode to my unix account and send them streaming
mode via Kermit server to my //gs... didn't work. I then tried it using binary
mode for both transactions...still didn't work. Both times I wind up with a
file
on my //gs that is a shrinkit archive, and both times shrinkit tells me that
the file is corrupted. I ran through this process with multiple files and can
only assume that it is not a fault with the files but the means of transport.
I have had no problems with files that are either Binsciied or Executioned
from these or other sites.

So here's the request: Will someone in the know PLEASE explain how I'm to get
a Shrinkit/NuFX archive from an FTP site through a Unix account to my GS
without it becoming corrupted.

Rob Mayer
maye_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

axi0349@isc.rit.edu (A.X. Ivasyuk ) (12/07/90)

In article <10739@ur-cc.UUCP>, maye_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Robert Mayer) writes:
> using FTP through my Unix account on the university system. I attempted to
> retrieve them with streaming mode to my unix account and send them streaming
> mode via Kermit server to my //gs... didn't work. I then tried it using binary
> mode for both transactions...still didn't work. Both times I wind up with a

Whoa, Rob.

It's much easier if you use ProTERM (2.1 or higher):
After getting the file into your unix account from FTP, make sure it's
not uuencoded (if it is, uudecode it) then transfer the resulting SHK or
SDK file via sz using ProTERM on your gs.  I only have a //c, but have
had exactly 0 problems transferring stuff this way.

> Rob Mayer
> maye_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

@@@@  @@@@@ @@@@@         Anatoly Ivasyuk             @@@   @@@  @   @
@   @   @     @      (axi0349@ultb.isc.rit.edu)      @   @ @     @   @
@@@@    @     @        Computer Science House        @      @@@  @@@@@
@  @    @     @   Rochester Institute of Technology  @   @     @ @   @
@   @ @@@@@   @      "If all else fails, RTFM."       @@@   @@@  @   @

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (12/11/90)

nnget
In article <1990Dec6.181412.2876@isc.rit.edu>, axi0349@isc.rit.edu (A.X. Ivasyuk
) says:

>Whoa, Rob.
>
>It's much easier if you use ProTERM (2.1 or higher):
>After getting the file into your unix account from FTP, make sure it's
>not uuencoded (if it is, uudecode it) then transfer the resulting SHK or
>SDK file via sz using ProTERM on your gs.  I only have a //c, but have
>had exactly 0 problems transferring stuff this way.

I on the other hand have had all sorts of problems. SZ does not like the
setup here at behrend and refuses to send through the local dataswitch.
I have to use Kermit. And Kermit (Kermit 4e-072 tends to choke for some
as yet unknown reason. No matter if it is text or bin. I've gotten exactly
3 files to tr5ansfer out of about 50. Any help appreciated... This is on
a Sun running SunOS 4.3, to an Apple IIGS with ProTERM version 2.? and a
2400 or 1200 baud connection through a dataswitch.

>@@@@  @@@@@ @@@@@         Anatoly Ivasyuk             @@@   @@@  @   @
>@   @   @     @      (axi0349@ultb.isc.rit.edu)      @   @ @     @   @
>@@@@    @     @        Computer Science House        @      @@@  @@@@@
>@  @    @     @   Rochester Institute of Technology  @   @     @ @   @
>@   @ @@@@@   @      "If all else fails, RTFM."       @@@   @@@  @   @
| Salvatore A. Buttice | Bitnet: SAB121@PSUVM           \_ Preferred    |
| RD#1 Box 488         | InterNet: sab121@psuvm.psu.edu /  (It's Free!) |
| Espyville, PA 16424  |  OR sal@psusun01.psu.edu \_ If the above does  |
|   Apple II ForEver!! | America Online: Sal15    /  not work for you!  |