[net.space] Lunar Bases

brt@pyuxvv.UUCP (05/28/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Sat, 28-May-83 14:29:24 EDT

Earlier this year , I received a letter from Dr. Wendell Mendell ,
Geology Branch , Planetary and Earth Sciences Division , JSC.
It is reproduced here with the permission of the author .
				Ben Reytblat  (...!pyuxvv!brt)

	 WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A MANNED LUNAR  BASE NOW WHEN THE
SHUTTLE FLEET NEEDS A FIFTH ORBITER , WHEN THE SPACE STATION PROJECT
IS SPUTTERING , WHEN PLANETARY EXPLORATION HAS HAD NO NEW START SINCE
1978 , WHEN THE NATIONAL ECONOMY IS IN THE WORST SHAPE SINCE THE GREAT
DEPRESSION , WHEN THE JAPANESE ARE PUSHING FOR WORLD LEADERSHIP IN
TECHNOLOGY , WHEN THE SOVIETS AND THE EUROPEANS ARE CHALLENGING AMERICAN
PREEMINENCE IN SPACE , AND WHEN VIDEO GAMES ARE CORRUPTING YOUTH?
W.W. Mendell and M.B.Duke, L.B. Johnson Space Center, Houston , TX , 77058

	For the past 15 months we have been speaking in various forums within
NASA and in the space science research community concerning the need to begin
preparation now for a decision to establish a manned research laboratory on
the surface of the Moon . Before the end of the next decade , the Space
Transportation System (STS) will include a space station and a reusable
Orbital Transfer Vehicle (OTV) , the latter for the transfer of payloads
between low Earth orbit and geosynchronous orbit . The energy requirements
for a transfer to lunar orbit are very similar to those required for
transfer to to geosynchronous orbit . The existence of that capability
will force the question whether a permanent manned presence on the Moon's
surface falls within the national interest .
	In fact , this minimal scenario is almost certainly too conservative.
As space activity becomes more commonplace in world affairs , awareness
of the lunar option will emerge well before the turn of the Century .
We have no difficulty imagining motivations for a significant American
enterprise in space stemming from international economic competition ,
cold war geopolitics , or national security considerations.
	Consider the economy of the United States , now in the throes of
transition . In the important area of international trade , the country must
depend on the export of technology , a word once automatically  associated
with the adjective "American" . Today the Japanese are making inroads
on American leadership using long range planning and efficient management
of goal-oriented technology development . The relationship between business
and government is so different here that it is difficult to respond to the
Japanese thrust in kind . The traditional American method for priming
the technological pump has been government financed projects in science
or engineering , designed to demonstrate the American forte - organization
and management of high technology . A manned research laboratory on the Moon
is a world-class project which would serve nicely to stimulate innovation in
the private sector .
	The political impact of this project would be significant , both
nationally and internationally . An analogy to 1961 could be drawn when the
declaration of project Apollo a political reaction to the national
preoccupation with Sputnik and the demoralizing effects of the Bay of Pigs.
Today  the American public largely discounts the methodical Soviet space
program , which is not the unknown quantity it was 25 years ago .
Nevertheless the imminent development of a very large Soviet booster
probably will lead to a highly visible manned mission . A re-enactment
of the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare , coupled with some domestic
or international difficulty , could make a lunar initiative politically
attractive . It is important to remember that today the lunar option is much
more an evolutionary development of the American Space program than it was
in 1961 . Ironically , we are much further away from going to the Moon
today  than we were in 1961 .
	The current space budget of the Department of Defense exceeds that
of NASA , testimony to the importance of national security considerations
in space policy . A major project would be reviewed for its implications
in that area , and the Moon base has some positive attributes as a secure
observation and communication post . Activities on Earth can be seen , and
it is not generally realized that more than 95% of geosynchronous orbit can
be viewed from the near side of the Moon at all times. Communication time
to the Earth is seconds while travel time is days  Finally , we point out
that eyewitness to hostile activity adds enormous credibility to sensor
measurements , however sophisticated they may be .
	We have discussed factors in the politico-economic equations ,
and have neglected the exiting and important science to be done , because we
want to emphasize the probability of a decision point in the bearly 90's .
NASA must prepare for the decision through maintenance of a healthy Lunar
research and analysis program over the next  ten years . The programmatic
objectives must include preparation of a fiscally viable and technologically
challenging strategy for establishment of an international research
laboratory on the Moon . We believe this can be done within a modest but stable
budget , designed to support a healthy continuity in research without creating
a population explosion .
	Project Apollo returned a wealth of scientific information , and it
commonly is assumed that exploration of the Moon is complete . The lunar
samples are rich sources of information for the Apollo landing sites but
represent the rest of the Moon only in an average sense . Orbital remote
sensing data from the "J" missions allow geochemical inferences for much of the
low latitudes , but mapping is nowhere near complete . Photographic coverage
of the Moon lags behind that of Mars . For example , The lunar polar regions
are popular candidates for lunar base but very little is actually known
about them .
	Thus the critical element and the pacing item for the first phase
of the lunar initiative is an unmanned scientific satellite collecting
data in lunar polar orbit for at least six months . At JSC we have formulated
two related mission concepts for Advanced Lunar Mapping Satellite , based
on the well analyzed Lunar Polar Orbiter mission proposal . One mission
profile is a simple Shuttle launch to lunar orbit ; the second profile
adds demonstrations of certain capabilities of the STS and features a return
of the entire spacecraft to Earth orbit upon completion of the lunar
mission . Cost estimates for either scenario fall well below typical
Mariner class planetary missions.
	A new start for a lunar mission can be put in the NASA budget no
earlier than FY85 . The launch would occur by the end of this decade , and
the first analyzed data would be available in the early 90's , when our
predicted decision point occurs . If we act now , we can be ready.
	As our preaching has spread beyond the choir to the congregation ,
and even outside the church , we become ever more exposed to critical cross-
examination by nonbelievers . The hardest , often raised question concerns
economic return - not the long term benefits touted by advocates of space
colonization but rather the near term payback for this next step in space.
Unfortunately , the Moon could not be more desolate , more devoid of riches.
On the other hand , we have two real advantages over our predecessors
who have wrested with this problem. as a scientific and engineering community
, we know more about the Moon and also we can deal more realistically with
the options in the lunar transportation system . Our guesses are more educated,
and our confidence level can be higher .
	From the economic point of view , the Moon's most significant
attribute is it's "proximity" , in terms of gravitational potential to Earth
orbit . Any lunar product can make an immediate impact on the economic
equation if it is needed in quantity by the STS and if it requires minimal
processing . So far we identify two candidates . Simple dirt can be used
as radiation shielding in polar orbit space station or for any manned
mission beyond low Earth orbit . Hundreds of tons of mass are required for
such an application . The second , and more valuable , potential resource
is lunar oxygen for fuel . Production of oxygen from rocks could double or
triple payload capacity of the Shuttle fleet and make profit from the lunar
operation . Other , more subtle , options surely will appear as we have the
opportunity to learn more about the Moon and as we actually can pay people
to think about the problem !
	Why are we talking about a lunar base now ? NASA , as part of its
responsibility for input to space policy must determine the scope , the
advantages , and the difficulties of the lunar option in anticipation of
important decision process in the early 90's . NASA can utilize a modest , long term program of lunar research and analysis to provide disparate activities
in science and in enginnering and in technology development with a common
vision and a new excitement . The vision is important to us all; the time for
it is now.

P.S.There are further articles on the subject written by W.Mendell and M.Duke.
If there is enough interest in this one , I will post the other ones later .