[comp.sys.apple2] Why don't we use fnet???

In article <1990Dec09.020335.6476@torag.uucp> marekp@torag.uucp (Marek Pawlowski) writes:
>If the turn-out is good enough, this should be quite the experience.
>
>I propose a get together on the IRC (type "irc" from the shell prompt,
>if you are logged in to a site on the Internet, and have irc installed
>on your site) on December 15, 1990, in the "+Apple" channel.
>
>Time scheduled:  7pm EDT - X[pm/am] EDT
>
>This is only possible to people on the Internet.

	Why don't we do this on fnet? (I think a more formal name is
"forumnet")..

	From my admittedly VERY VERY limited use of irc, it's very "icky"!
Fnet is a really good implimentation of a networked-chat program!

	Don't you people all have fnet access that have irc access??

	I dunno, in my few minutes of using irc, it just writes over
anywhere on the screen and such... NO, I don't mean a messed termtype or
anything... from what I remember, the screen doesn't scroll, it just jumps
back to the top of the screen and starts writing there...

	There were lots of other annoying things about the program, but
I don't remember what they are!

	So does fnet sound like a good idea?

	AND, is there any way we can get ANYONE even semi-well known?
Like Tony Fadell maybe?!?!?!  Or even someone from Apple like Andy
Nicholas or Matt <Iforgothislastname>?!

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |

aa404@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Chris Roberts) (12/12/90)

>>I propose a get together on the IRC (type "irc" from the shell prompt,
>>if you are logged in to a site on the Internet, and have irc installed
>>on your site) on December 15, 1990, in the "+Apple" channel.
>>Time scheduled:  7pm EDT - X[pm/am] EDT
>	Why don't we do this on fnet? (I think a more formal name is
>"forumnet")..

I know, I for one don't have acces to fnet.  I do have access to IRC though.

>	There were lots of other annoying things about the program, but
>I don't remember what they are!

I'd have to agree with you that it's annoying though.

one question.  From where I'm looking at IRC, it looks as if it's totally
local.  Not national.  I am wondering if there's some secret comman that
will tie me in.  I'm calling from the Free-Net.  Anyone???

--
Apple II forever!				Chris Roberts
Channel 4 WCFT-TV				Apple II SIG Sysop

mock@iris.ucdavis.edu (Kenrick J. Mock) (12/12/90)

If you have FTP, you can FTP to f.ms.uky.edu and download forumnet
from the site.  It contains all the source to access the server, just
make it and you are on your way...

Forumnet is a great time-waster indeed...(nice chat system, lots of
interesting users...)

Personally, I would rather use fnet then irc, but I will try to
participate regardless of where it is held.
mock@iris.ucdavis.edu                    "Finally in the 5th year of my 5 year
mock@alderon.lanl.gov                    plan at U.C. Davis...."

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) (12/12/90)

... unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>... marekp@torag.uucp (Marek Pawlowski) writes:

>>If the turn-out is good enough, this should be quite the experience.
>>
>>I propose a get together on the IRC (type "irc" from the shell prompt,
>>if you are logged in to a site on the Internet, and have irc installed
>>on your site) on December 15, 1990, in the "+Apple" channel.
>>
>>Time scheduled:  7pm EDT - X[pm/am] EDT
>>
>>This is only possible to people on the Internet.

>	Why don't we do this on fnet? (I think a more formal name is
>"forumnet")..

Perhaps because this is the first time I've ever heard of fnet, perhaps
others haven't as well.  (Of course, there are probably those that know
fnet that haven't heard of IRC either.)

:
>	Don't you people all have fnet access that have irc access??

Nope.  I have seen the message about an FTP site with it available
though.

>	I dunno, in my few minutes of using irc, it just writes over
>anywhere on the screen and such... NO, I don't mean a messed termtype or
>anything... from what I remember, the screen doesn't scroll, it just jumps
>back to the top of the screen and starts writing there...

You saw an older version.  I saw one that scrolled properly, and didn't
damage the bar at the bottom of the screen.  Sorry, I don't know where to
obtain that version.

>	There were lots of other annoying things about the program, but
>I don't remember what they are!

It has been improved.  I believe there is an altgroup about irc around
somewhere, but I can't remember its name.

>--
>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
>|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |
>\   "Dammit Bev, is it you inside or is it the clown?" -IT by Stephen King    /

Might want to do something about that extra space there in the second line
of your .signature file.  :-)

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /    How many Sirius Cybernetics Corporation robots

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (12/13/90)

In article <9967@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <1990Dec09.020335.6476@torag.uucp> marekp@torag.uucp (Marek Pawlowski) writes:
>>I propose a get together on the IRC (type "irc" from the shell prompt,
>>if you are logged in to a site on the Internet, and have irc installed
>>on your site) on December 15, 1990, in the "+Apple" channel.
>>Time scheduled:  7pm EDT - X[pm/am] EDT

>	Why don't we do this on fnet? (I think a more formal name is
>"forumnet")..
>	From my admittedly VERY VERY limited use of irc, it's very "icky"!
>Fnet is a really good implimentation of a networked-chat program!
>	I dunno, in my few minutes of using irc, it just writes over
>anywhere on the screen and such... NO, I don't mean a messed termtype or
>anything... from what I remember, the screen doesn't scroll, it just jumps
>back to the top of the screen and starts writing there...

Well, I've used both extensively and Fnet is great for smaller numbers,
but IRC is far more popular and user friendly. (Yes, it is) Create an
.ircrc and put in it something like the scrollon command. I don't remember
what it was, but you can look in the man pages. IRC is at more sites, mainly
because Sean wanted to keep distribution down until all the bugs were worked
out. The main disadvantage of Fnet is that you can't recieve until you
finish sending. (If you're typing, nothing will come in until you hit ret)
When you have a LOT of users, this makes for QUITE a lag. Check out group 1
on a busy nite... You'll find people leaving all the time because all they see
is the --more-- prompt all the time, and want to go to groups like "quiet"
etc... Better yet, lets TinyTalk/TinyWar this! We could take it to ToonMUSH
and really have some fun!!! Just think, there you could really get graphic!

>	So does fnet sound like a good idea?

I would vote IRC, but thats just me, and I probably wont be there...