[comp.sys.apple2] Problems with ORCA/M editor

benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) (11/15/90)

I'm using ORCA/M for the GS version 1.1b. I've had no problems with it until
recently. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the editor has stopped working.
When I try to edit a file, about 90% of the time, the editor displays "Illegal
text data" and then either 1. Hangs, 2. Clears the screen, displays
"Memory Manager: An invalid handle was given", and hangs, or 3. Returns me
to the shell, without letting me edit the file. The length of the file I'm
trying to edit doesn't seem to have
anything to do with it, but certain files will usually work and certain others
will never work. Some of the files that don't work are files that I was editing
with no problems before the trouble began. Does anyone know what's going on
here? Is it a problem with system disk 5.0.2? (That's the only thing I can
think of that I changed recently.) If it matters, I have a ROM 01 GS with
1.25MB and a hard disk. Please help. ORCA is pretty useless without the editor.

--                         ____________________________________________________
Benji Rudiak-Gould        /"RESTRICTIONS:
benji@euler.berkeley.edu /   The time must be less than 2,147,483,647 seconds."
________________________/          -- sleep manpage

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/15/90)

On Thu, 15 Nov 90 02:51:09 GMT Benji Rudiak-Gould said:
>I'm using ORCA/M for the GS version 1.1b. I've had no problems with it until
>recently. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the editor has stopped working.
>When I try to edit a file, about 90% of the time, the editor displays "Illegal
>text data" and then either 1. Hangs, 2. Clears the screen, displays
>"Memory Manager: An invalid handle was given", and hangs, or 3. Returns me
>to the shell, without letting me edit the file. The length of the file I'm

The same thing happened to me.  I finally figured out that it was the source
file that was corrupt.  I made a simple basic program to copy the source file,
after changing the filetype to TEXT.  The new version worked (after changing
the filetype to SRC).  I couldn't find ANY difference in the two files.  I
think there must have been some kind of control characters that accidentally
got in the source file and the basic copy program didn't accept them when
copying.  OH!  I tried copying the from the orca shell too, and THAT copy was
corrupt too.  I don't think it's a problem with 5.0.2, because that's what
I've been using since it came out.

>think of that I changed recently.) If it matters, I have a ROM 01 GS with
>1.25MB and a hard disk. Please help. ORCA is pretty useless without the editor.
That's the same setup I have.  Did you know that you can use any text editor?
just change the filtype to SRC before you try assemblying it.  ...and maybe
the aux. file type too.

>--                         ____________________________________________________
>Benji Rudiak-Gould        /"RESTRICTIONS:
>benji@euler.berkeley.edu /   The time must be less than 2,147,483,647 seconds."
>________________________/          -- sleep manpage

 _______________________________________
| BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm               |
| pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
| Assembly- a low level language        |
| Assembler- used to create an assembly |
|            Language program.          |
 ---------------------------------------

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (11/16/90)

In article <8909@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:

>I'm using ORCA/M for the GS version 1.1b. I've had no problems with it until
>recently. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the editor has stopped working.
>When I try to edit a file, about 90% of the time, the editor displays "Illegal
>text data" and then either 1. Hangs, 2. Clears the screen, displays
>"Memory Manager: An invalid handle was given", and hangs, or 3. Returns me
>to the shell, without letting me edit the file. The length of the file I'm
[stuff deleted]
>--                         ____________________________________________________
>Benji Rudiak-Gould        /"RESTRICTIONS:
>benji@euler.berkeley.edu /   The time must be less than 2,147,483,647 seconds."
>________________________/          -- sleep manpage

I don't think the problem is with 5.0.2, since I've been running that for a
while now. Although this is probably unlikely, you might not have enough memory.
(my GS is a 1.75meg Rom 01). Maybe you should try getting rid of most of your
inits and DA's and perhaps recopy ORCA/M and the related files from your
original disk.

I also have a problem with the Orca/M editor, and I think the problem has to
do with the disk caching, but I'm not sure. If I edit a file a couple of times,
the first character of my SYSTABS file will disappear, and the editor will
say "Invalid SYSTABS file. Using defaults." More rarely, all the CR's in my
file will seem to disappear, and I get 1 extremely long line (and a line too
long error). Quitting and then restarting Orca usually clears up the problem
temporarily. I'm not sure if this happens with system 5.0.3, since I haven't
tried it yet. My system configuration is Rom 01, 1.75megs, one 800K disk drive.

--
David Huang                              |       "I didn't order any
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |        pizzas, especially

araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) (11/16/90)

In article <8909@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:

>I'm using ORCA/M for the GS version 1.1b. I've had no problems with it until
>recently. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the editor has stopped working.
>When I try to edit a file, about 90% of the time, the editor displays "Illegal
>text data" and then either 1. Hangs, 2. Clears the screen, displays
>"Memory Manager: An invalid handle was given", and hangs, or 3. Returns me
>to the shell, without letting me edit the file. The length of the file I'm
>trying to edit doesn't seem to have...

I had a similar problem, and I think I found the cause. It lies with Quick
Draw, believe it or not. If you're using a desktop application the uses the
new features of QuickDraw, especially memory shawdowing and fastport aware,
then when you go into the APW/Orca enviroment, the editor will crash. I can't
explain why this happens, but I noticed it when I was making one of my own
applications that set these feature on in QuickDraw. If you've got an appli-
cation that causes this to happen, then it probably uses resources, so make a
backup of the program, then modify it with a resources editor (like Genesys)
and change the StartUpTools resource to not use fastport/shawdowing. Note that
you will also have to change Genesys. I've done this to a couple of programs
and Edit's propensity for crashes has gone down a lot, although it does still
crash from time to time if I'm heavily using the APW resource compiler.

                     Internet: araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
               America Online: xela      (Real Life: Alex Raftis)

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (11/16/90)

In article <8909@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>,
benji@euler.Berkeley.EDU (Benji Rudiak-Gould) writes:
> I'm using ORCA/M for the GS version 1.1b. I've had no problems with it until
> recently. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the editor has stopped working.
> When I try to edit a file, about 90% of the time, the editor displays "Illega

peterc@pro-micol.cts.com (Peter Cameron) (11/16/90)

Try recopying a copy of the editor to your disk.  Maybe it got damaged.
Another possibility is your systabs file is trashed.  Also check the language
of the file.  It may have become changed somehow.  Another possibility is a
chip gone bad on the ram card.  My Apple RAM card did that and would change a
single character in a file and that caused some very strange things to happen
depending on where a program loaded.  Try changing the amount of stuff in
memory and see if that helps.  That may turn up the RAM problem if the current
problem clears up.

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (11/19/90)

In article <1783.apple2.info.apple@pro-micol> peterc@pro-micol.cts.com (Peter Cameron) writes:

>Try recopying a copy of the editor to your disk.  Maybe it got damaged.
[stuff deleted]

If you are having trouble editing source files with the text-based editor,
try to edit them with the Prizm editor (graphic desktop editor).  Check and
double check that there are no breakpoints or yellow dots (for run-through
sections) in your text.  Otherwise you will not be able to edit with the
text based editor.

--
-------------
	Jerry Penner		...!alberta!bode!jpenne

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/07/90)

I've experienced the same problem.  Except I wasn't running Orca/C, I was
running the Orca/M Assembler.  Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

                                                       - Andrew.

P.S.  To mail me privately, send mail to "aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu", not
to "aabenson@mtus5.bitnet".  Thanks!

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (12/12/90)

On Fri, 7 Dec 90 14:21:22 GMT <ndsuvm1!mtus5!aabenson@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> said:
>I've experienced the same problem.  Except I wasn't running Orca/C, I was
>running the Orca/M Assembler.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
>Thanks!
>
>                                                       - Andrew.
>
>P.S.  To mail me privately, send mail to "aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu", not
>to "aabenson@mtus5.bitnet".  Thanks!

No matter what ORCA Language you're using, as long as you're using it in
text mode, you're using the same editor.  It's just got a couple of bugs
I imagine.

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (12/13/90)

Might I suggest dumping the Orca editor for Rose 16 from Randy Brant (Yes, of
AppleWorks fame)?  It's a slick FAST editor with mega options.  I won't use
the Orca editor anymore.

BTW, as I remember, Rose is shareware.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs