[comp.sys.apple2] IIgs vs Mac LC

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/12/90)

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>For those interrested,...
>Here's what the MacWorld article says (I stole this issue form the office:)
>------------
>As for the education market, the mac LC has tougher competition.  Universities
>may want more power and expandability than the mac LC offers [THEN GET A GS, DA
>MNIT!]--especially if they are connecting to a UNIX network or doing multimedia
> work.  But for K-through-12 schools, the mac LC, with its Apple IIe board and
>low-cost color, [ABOUT 400% THE COST OF THE //E OR MORE!] is a good deal
>[COMPARED TO A CRAY].  Apple claims that the mac LC will sell to schools for th
>e same price as--or even less than--an Apple IIGS [TRY TWICE AS MUCH!].

  How much do schools pay for a IIgs system?  (Anyone know the actual
Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Where can a nation lie when it hides its organic minds in a cellar dark and
grim?  They must be ...  very dim.

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.084303.18410@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:
>MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>>For those interrested,...
>>Here's what the MacWorld article says (I stole this issue form the office:)
>>------------
>> But for K-through-12 schools, the mac LC, with its Apple IIe board and
>>low-cost color, [ABOUT 400% THE COST OF THE //E OR MORE!] is a good deal
>>[COMPARED TO A CRAY].  Apple claims that the mac LC will sell to schools
>>for the same price as--or even less than--an Apple IIGS [TRY TWICE AS MUCH!].
>
>  How much do schools pay for a IIgs system?  (Anyone know the actual

When my wife & I used her teacher's buy option in the summer of '87,
and supposedly paid the educational price for our system, we got the
512K GS, 1 ea. 3.5" & 5.25" drives, and the RGB tube for $1500.  The IM2
was an add'l $400.  The price break on the printer was only slightly
better than could be had from the mail-order places like CDA, but the
base CPU bundle was better by $200-300, as I recall from the time.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "We have no plans at this time to introduce new, standalone
	Apple II models." --- Robert Puette, president of Apple USA.
"Apple II Forever"?  Looks like Forever = 13 years, 6 months
	(4/15/77 - 10/15/90)