[comp.sys.apple2] Exiting Basic.System

bellaire@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Stephen Bellaire) (12/08/90)

I realize this may be a FAQ but here goes, How in the hell do you get out
of Basic.System (I'm running 5.0.3) back to the finder.  I tried all of the
standard escapes but none worked.  Oh yeah, I lost my Applesoft manual so
I can't look it up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

						Estabon duCloche-Vent
						bellaire@rex.cs.tulane.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/08/90)

In article <5304@rex.cs.tulane.edu> bellaire@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Stephen Bellaire) writes:
>I realize this may be a FAQ but here goes, How in the hell do you get out
>of Basic.System (I'm running 5.0.3) back to the finder.

BYE is the standard BASIC command for terminating BASIC.

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (12/08/90)

From the command line, type "bye" and press Return.  From within a
program, include this text:

PRINT CHR$(4);"BYE"

This will take you to the ProDOS 8 quit code or (if you booted a GS
into the Finder) to the Finder.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (12/08/90)

On Fri, 7 Dec 90 17:07:54 GMT Stephen Bellaire said:
>I realize this may be a FAQ but here goes, How in the hell do you get out
>of Basic.System (I'm running 5.0.3) back to the finder.  I tried all of the
>standard escapes but none worked.  Oh yeah, I lost my Applesoft manual so
>I can't look it up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

type BYE

>						Estabon duCloche-Vent
>						bellaire@rex.cs.tulane.edu

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (12/09/90)

In article <5304@rex.cs.tulane.edu> bellaire@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Stephen Bellaire) writes:

>I realize this may be a FAQ but here goes, How in the hell do you get out
>of Basic.System (I'm running 5.0.3) back to the finder.  I tried all of the
>standard escapes but none worked.  Oh yeah, I lost my Applesoft manual so
>I can't look it up.  Thanks in advance for the help.
>

>						Estabon duCloche-Vent
>						bellaire@rex.cs.tulane.edu

Try 'bye'.... >;-)

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (12/09/90)

>I realize this may be a FAQ but here goes, How in the hell do you get out
>of Basic.System (I'm running 5.0.3) back to the finder.  I tried all of the
>standard escapes but none worked.  Oh yeah, I lost my Applesoft manual so
>I can't look it up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Try typing "bye". :)

+----------"Maturity is overrated" - Garfield-------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/11/90)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>There are several programs, however, which can be installed instead of that
>normal (ignorant) quit code which are much friendlier...  I seem to be
>drawing a blank, and can't think of any names right now.

Well, I wrote a replacement that I not-so-humbly feel has the most features in
the same space as Apple's guideline (3 pages). The latest release of prodos
(1.9) has a reasonable but not spectacular quit code that requires 128K because
it doesn't fit in the original 3 pages. MY code runs on a ][+ and it's faster
because I hard-coded the screen routines for 40 columns. Apple's code uses 80
columns -- but I haven't gone past a single screen with my 40 column code
(although I have come close now that I have a 105 meg HD) so what's the point?

Available for FTP on tybalt or via mail request.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/12/90)

Todd,

   What's that selector called?

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/13/90)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>Todd,

>   What's that selector called?

Well, it doesn't really have a name... I did want it to alphabetize before
Basic.System, so I settled on A.H.H.H.SYSTEM. (The Ahhh... of relief)

In fact, it's so tiny, here's a copy. This SYS file will install the quit code
in memory and the exit (to the quit code). If it is run and the quit code is
already installed then a cheap little credit page is displayed.

This quit code does more than Apple's, in less space (the official 768 bytes),
and works on ANY Apple ][ or compatible. It also is compatible with ANY 64K
version of Prodos. Apple's code is, I feel, a lousy piece of software compared
to mine because it requires the 128K, 80 column standard environment and can't
fit in the original Apple-guaranteed quit code area.

Make it the first .SYSTEM file on your boot disk. I do.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789()
NA.H.H.H.SYSTEM AQAAAAAAA8)4DIAE1qAAKAwCAwQtAQAAAQcK
)LK2M0qmIm8wpwA8AmM8t(A0tCssNCMWNCMDNCsDgAMAgs)Lg4Phg4fig4)ktyPW
iC8gA0LAA0dI8Ad0iAQvSDQ39SD0dPCAQPNAQjOLC2a5)LKwl2L6TADI8TCIl2L6
ojKIgUavRyO8QjMKAwS97DBwADBLggJTAPYrAPYr9CgodGCA9GNAdKCA9KNAdOCA
oPNAtuO0gAsgl9LAEAinAAAAAAAAomACFLN0Pns1MPd1JDa2UPtzMzcwpScxBABA
fDawBXs0g(NzPLN0T)MxVHNouSdyZLMoPTNogSMxJj81TXM1Awcx5ChEVHcr526x
)DAsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAtiNApCsgJUIA)SZjdahoK)LWorP0)(mjN(cqt(LWJPMD
MAPiJDfKPANgALbrAjVrAzQjA7QjADQj7)CI(TII(nII(PJI8jFISsOI)CAISIyx
5SCoZKBcIaQ0ieP0AYIAGKghGY4BFCSqDUYACAIrgMC0F)LAgKhUAELApQB8HA)D
RCfCfCCAAUqEQkGGQCQhVwk5pAcEpuBkZj4LQLAgFQo(AmLyAmgAEEYnAyM6xDpA
5WApJIAg)nJgQj4AXDS9DApESIBTtRQqFCyIkwKAEiIIQAKCJBQsEA)DQDfSxiqC
FAPAS8JItuC8YAyIFCQZCAJAGHg5aDNCESAoxiIARgoARAvAlhBmDU4AJHQhkwqn
9CJIlagxNAtB5qAoZKBlISgtwfP0bAKbSUVuGUVm3DNiFCeqHUCCDkqqgUShpyvI
HQ()pKA0EU4PSQMIwaA5FUIJAELqlAYCoEJB1DNiJDQsIAL8QCdyFYuCpWApEUyr
kiSkgmaBoEJyQGBwIYe(oHB8QqkiTkKCFiSZxCNKQXi5A0qq7DBwADBLQjZylx0A
xm8)JvAkHALuI9QaI9fqNmMYmCE0ABvBCAYrpiA0B24LA6uAHYqASQMIEAJqA2GG
NqqAxKAgA2JAIqsAEeP0wocCA2aCAlsAw(CkXDyMuArEgAATQvZyAyqFJQoApCC8
Zj4LQLAgMio(MJAgJLRGTA9gNCQqFKAgAASCiY8v4wkEAGAElqqAwrkBAAKJwjI4
VCeDg7A8JAviQvI4IioEBAJGlhJyGU8BFKAsmw0BSyUEAIQEBDCAPLt0gO91MX80
UPcxSDKrVTdxg6s0FD9zFMtz6OwEPz8wgW806OgHM)s1F3c1xA606eTLP)sweAK1
NrLGOLN1FD6zSTtzTXcywngpPkiE9qMqRLAgHANA1DNiFaQpGY6BdGQplWBAA0JA
GYOFA0LYAUIFVAQvgGQhAELApAdygA2DI)LAwKB953qE73oEAAiE6r8vAAiEyz8v
BAmEAOAAYAgAAQAAAACAAAwnAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AUOR

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (12/13/90)

|I realize this may be a FAQ but here goes, How in the hell do you get out
|of Basic.System (I'm running 5.0.3) back to the finder.  I tried all of the
|standard escapes but none worked.  Oh yeah, I lost my Applesoft manual so
|I can't look it up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

FAQ?!?  What's that mean...

Anyways... just type "BYE" return and back to GSOS.
whitewolf@gnh-starport

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (12/14/90)

In article <m0ijt0q-0000AEC@jartel.info.com> you write:

>FAQ?!?  What's that mean...