[comp.sys.apple2] 3.5" drives for IIgs...

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (12/11/90)

I may probably get quite a bit of flack for this from people trying to sell
3.5" drives for the GS, but what the heck...

I am somewhat confused about the rather high prices for 3.5" drives compared to
the 'other' platform's prices, the Macintosh.  I see ads for 3.5" externals,
notably from Fujitsu, that sell for $99.00 mail orde on the Mac side.  Now
considering that the Mac drive is virtually the same as the GS drive (800K
version that is), it should be no problem picking up said Fujitsu drive and to
use it on the GS.  Besides, the Fujitsu drive has much nicer styling and is
much slimmer than most of the drives availbale on the market right now for the
GS.

If you are interested, I can probably dig up the address of the mail order
companies selling  Fujitsu drives from my issue of MacWeek.

Now anyone tell me the Mac isn't useful for some things...

Harry

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink | Achieve True Wealth and Financial Independence!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    |            Intrigued? - Send E-Mail!
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/12/90)

Good point about pricing.  My Apple 3.5 Drive died about 7 or 8 months ago,
and then those prices started jumping in my face!  I called the local Apple
dealer (haha!  What was I thinking?!), and after waiting on "hold" for about
10 minutes, they came back and told be it would be "... only $349!!"  Wow!
I couldn't believe it!  Something with a little half-eaten apple on it for
LESS than $1000!!  Well, that idea went out the window immediately, and I
ended up getting AE's 3.5 drive.  I thought about other 3rd party drives,
but I decided against them, because I had heard that there have been some
problems with compibility problems.  They say the mechanism is the same Sony
one that Apple (^oops^) uses in their drives, and it looks, sounds, and
feels pretty much the same.  And besides, you get a two-colored LED instead
of just the normal red "in-use" light.  (On AE's, you get red for write, and
green for read.)

                                                  - Andrew.
Internet: aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu
BITNET: AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET
 ( Please email responses.  Thanks! )

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (12/13/90)

        Another thing to note - another bit of Mac hardware you can cross
over to the GS is hard drives...though they must be reformatted I believe
you can get 'em for less $$$.

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/14/90)

In article <EE7B484CE7DFC0F12E@snybufva.bitnet> NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) writes:

>        Another thing to note - another bit of Mac hardware you can cross
>over to the GS is hard drives...though they must be reformatted I believe
>you can get 'em for less $$$.

Correct. I currently use a MicroNet MP100 3.5" harddrive that was marketed
for the Mac. It was on sale at MacWorld at $800 (down from $1100 I think).
Since it uses the same SCSI interface, the //gs can use any Mac HD. All that
needs be done is a re-format with the SCSI utilities you get with your
interface card.
--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar