[comp.sys.apple2] Applied Engineering

sobol@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Steven Sobol) (04/07/90)

In article <2052@crash.cts.com> mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Michael Quinn) writes:

>I'm taking a tiny survey to find out what y'all think of Applied Engineering.

 Hey! You just reminded me that I have a census form to fill out... thanks...

>I'm trying to get the general idea of what the average customer thinks.  What
>I need to know is:
>
>1.  Have you EVER dealt with this company in any way, shape, or form?
yep

>2.  If so, any complaints or praises?
Their engineers were pretty good in helping to test an obscure program with
PC Transporter.

>3.  Do you own any AE products?  Which ones?  How do they perform?
DataLink 1200baud modem and PC Transporter, both fine

>4.  How are you satisfied with each of their products you own?
yep, never any problems.

>5.  What's your overall feeling about this company?
They're ok.

>SPECIAL QUESTION:
>Have you ever tried getting through to Tech support?  If so, how long did it
>take you to get through if you ever did?  Do you think they need to do
>something about this?  Do you think they need a 1-800-number?  And last, but
>certainly not least... Were the technicians RUDE, helpful, kind, some
>combination? or What?

yeah well I haven't done it a lot so I shouldn't answer that...
--
STEVE SOBOL <SOBOL@UDCPS2.CPS.UDAYTON.EDU> | <STEVEN.SOBOL@AFITAMY.FIDONET.ORG>
 UUCP:!UUNET!DAYVB!{UDCPS3|AFITAMY}!SOBOL  | 318 Founders Hall, Dayton OH 45469

skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Steve Kann) (04/07/90)

        That's funny, When I got my datalink (it's a 2400) they had two
versions of the s/w one required a //e or better, and the other (much simpler)
worked for the older II's .. Perhaps this happened after you bought your modem,
or perhaps before (I bought mine about 2 yrs ago..).
Proline:skann@gnh-applesauce      <--- Preferred
America online: NYSteve
CI$:70265,1141
                                                 ************************
UUCP: !crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann           This is just my opinion!
INET: skann@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               ************************
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!skann@nosc.mil    "Don't blame me!"

 * Sent by AppleSauce at Fri,  6 Apr 90 13:02:07

jefft@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Jeff Tarr Jr.) (04/08/90)

I've found Applied Engineering to be one of the great companies that supports
the Apple II computer!

I own a TWGS, a GS-RAM, a RamWorks III, a Sound Blaster, and a TimeMaster II
HO, all problem free.

I did once fry my Sonic Blaster (not "Sound" :) and it took me about 4 days of
calling tech support to order a replacement part.  When I finally got through
the service was excellent and the technician offered many solutions to my
problem.

I once asked them why they don't get an (800) number, and they responded simply
that they didn't have the money.  Although I DOUBT this, that's what I was told
and I do know that it costs ALOT to run an (800) number.. Oh well.. I wouldn't
worry about any of their products, they really are great!

BTW, have you seen the new 3.5" drive?  Up to 1.4 megs!

--Jeff

        Jeff Tarr Jr.. Sysop of the AppleSauce BBS [212] 721-4122...

America Online:  Klorn                     UUCP:  jefft@gnh-applesauce.cts.com

 * Sent by AppleSauce at Fri,  6 Apr 90 16:49:38

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (04/08/90)

I can't understand why anyone continues to deal directly with AE.
AE seems to be structured strictly as a wholesaler. They turn out
excellent products but their service is horrible when it comes to
dealing with individuals. There's really nothing wrong with this as
long as you are pre-warned. I'd like to see AE include something in
their ads recommending that you go through a dealer. I use Quality
Computers. They have an 800 number, are very polite and helpful,
do same day shipping and sell AE products at as low as %60 of list.
Also, when AE comes out with a new product they ship to their dealers
first. New products can be had through the dealers within a week or so
of their release. Direct orders from AE can take up to six weeks.
This is all based upon my personal experiences and those of the members
of our Users Group. When people did have problems with a product (very
rare, AE has pretty high quality control it would seem) Quality Computers
just replaced the equipment themselves. Now for my AE wishlist. I wish
that they would buy out Zip technology and any residual rights that Bits
and Pieces still may have and start churning out Rocket-Chips. I'd also
like to see them sell an internal harddrive for the //c like AI advertises.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (04/10/90)

From article <1268@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, by bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church):
> They turn out
> excellent products but their service is horrible when it comes to
> dealing with individuals.

That hasn't been my impression at all. While getting hold of Tech
support can tax your dialing finger (or Proterm if you're smart),
Once on-line, they have been more than helpful.

From experience, field support can drive you up the wall and make
you short tempered i.e., you call in and don't know the version of
the hardware/software you are complaining about, don't know what
you have configured on your system, etc. That stuff is step one in
the "before you call us" section in anyone's manuals.

As to you suggestion to use local dealers becuse they are cheaper:
Excellent suggestion. Mine gives 20% off list and more at times.

Finally, did you get the disk I sent you with Mockingboard stuff?

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IH 2A-227 (708) 979-9527

cjohnson@usceast.UUCP (Carnegie Johnson) (04/11/90)

In article <1268@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>I can't understand why anyone continues to deal directly with AE.
>AE seems to be structured strictly as a wholesaler. They turn out
>excellent products but their service is horrible when it comes to
>dealing with individuals. There's really nothing wrong with this as
>long as you are pre-warned. ...

I agree, why pay retail when you can get it discount.

>... buy out Zip technology and any residual rights that Bits
>and Pieces still may have and start churning out Rocket-Chips. I'd also
>like to see them sell an internal harddrive for the //c like AI advertises.

I wish this would happen too but it doesn't seem likely.  AE already
has an internal harddrive on the market for the ][. It's called
Vulcan.  You can find it advertised in any Apple // publication or
call your favorite AE dealer.

>*                                          bc                      *

--Carney
[generic signature]
UUCP: ...usceast!calvin!username

sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley) (07/26/90)

I have a friend who owns an Amiga (no flames or bashing , please) who would
like to buy a external floppy drive for his computer. What does this have
to to with the Apple II ,you may ask? Well while looking through Amiga
magazines for companies that sell floppy drives for the Amiga , he saw an
ad for Amiga compatible floppy drives from Applied Engineering. Since they
are new to the Amiga market , he doesnt know of they are a good company to
deal with. I happened to remember that while they are new to the Amiga market,
they have been a long established part of the Apple II market. So can anyone
tell me if they have a good reputation or not? Their ads for the floppy
drive sounds really good , but my friend is worried about buying from them
because they keep changing (downgrading) the specs of the drive everytime
a new issue of the magazines carrying the ads appear.

       thanks
         scott corley

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (07/28/90)

In article <26241@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, sjcst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott J. Corley) writes:
> to to with the Apple II ,you may ask? Well while looking through Amiga
> magazines for companies that sell floppy drives for the Amiga , he saw an
> ad for Amiga compatible floppy drives from Applied Engineering. Since they
> are new to the Amiga market , he doesnt know of they are a good company to
> deal with. I happened to remember that while they are new to the Amiga market,
> they have been a long established part of the Apple II market. So can anyone
> tell me if they have a good reputation or not? Their ads for the floppy
>
>        thanks
>          scott corley

Applied Engineering is a horrible company to deal with. On the other
hand they turn out some very good products. Check with a retailer.
You'll get AE products at a greatly reduced price and save five to
six weeks of delivery time.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (11/17/90)

     Would anyone like to tell me their opinions about Applied Engineering's
external 2400 baud modem?  Please e-mail to me.  Thanx, in advance.

David R. Brierley

In article <memo.553356@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>     Would anyone like to tell me their opinions about Applied Engineering's
>external 2400 baud modem?  Please e-mail to me.  Thanx, in advance.

	I will mail this guy too but I thought other people might wanna
hear what I am gonna say too. (YEAH RIGHT!)

	I don't see ANY REASON why someone would buy an Applied Engineering
2400 baud modem. I believe they're still >$150 and maybe even >$200... Am
I anywhere near the right price?

	Well, 2400 baud external modems can EASILY be gotten for $99, and I
hear of sales where they're $69... fairly often too.

	Since you save so much money, it's easily worth it to buy a
noname brand 2400 baud modem. [Hell, think of how many people buy/bought
no-name IBM clones!]

	Besides, I suggest you get a 9600 baud modem... The tide is slowly
turning to 9600 and I already want one! [Hopefully will get one next summer
but I have tons of dreams of buying things, and I rarely meet my 'date' to
buy them]
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (11/18/90)

>        Besides, I suggest you get a 9600 baud modem... The tide is slowly
>turning to 9600 and I already want one! "Hopefully will get one next summer
>but I have tons of dreams of buying things, and I rarely meet my 'date' to
>buy them"
>--

I agree. But there is a problem: Which 9600 baud modem? Last time I checked
there was no concrete standard for 9600 baud. There is USRobotics Courier
HST (which has a following) and Telebit's Trailblazer PEP standard (which
also has a following) as well as various flavors of V.32 and V.42 protocols.

There might be a reason to get an AE modem...If you get the Datalink Express
with MNP-5 compression (which gives the modem the effective throughput of
a 9600 baud modem - actually better since line noise is less of a factor)
Prices for the AE modem with MNP-5 are competitive with other 2400 baud
MNP-5 modems. Of course, having the capability means nothing unless other
users also have that capability, so the popularity of the modem or standard
means a great deal. But from what I've heard, 2400's with MNP-5 compression
are pretty commonplace in the PC world. All the same, I wouldn't mind one
of those USRobotics HST Dual standards...but the price of 9600 baud modem's
is still high. As much as I like my old 1200 baud Apple Cat, with all it's
special capabilities, I see that having a 2400 baud modem, that at least
runs some form of V.22bis (which all of them do) is a must.

------------------------------
! Mark Orr                   !
! $CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !
!        @LSUVM.BITNET       !
------------------------------

ULTIMAV@VAX1.MANKATO.MSUS.EDU (and you think you have stress) (11/18/90)

Actually i kind of agree with you but i was planning on buying an AE DATALINK
2400 modem in the VERY near future.  I have been watching them and i can get it
   for $150 +S/H and i thought for the quality it is a good price to pay.
        Also does anyone know a good BBS program..I'm looking for a program that
 not to
   o expensive but have a resonable amount of capaibles?

/----------------------------\
!      \            /        !
!       \^        ^/         !
!         ---------          !     Sorry  got carried away, doodling
\----------------------------/
-Do I sound as Confused as I sound?

In article <9011172133.AA13179@apple.com> $CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:

>I agree. But there is a problem: Which 9600 baud modem? Last time I checked
>there was no concrete standard for 9600 baud. There is USRobotics Courier
>HST (which has a following) and Telebit's Trailblazer PEP standard (which
>also has a following) as well as various flavors of V.32 and V.42 protocols.

V.32 is the accepted modulation standard.  Any V.32 modem can at least connect
and communicate with any other V.32 modem.  V.42 and V.42bis are now the
error correction and compression standards.  Any V.32 modem that is
V.42/V.42 bis compliant can work with both data compression and error
correction with any other V.32 modem, whether it uses MNP or V.42. (V.42
complience---> MNP compatible, bot not the other way around)

>There might be a reason to get an AE modem...If you get the Datalink Express
>with MNP-5 compression (which gives the modem the effective throughput of
>a 9600 baud modem - actually better since line noise is less of a factor)
Actually, MNP-5 doesn't claim to be that good (MNP-9 does).  V.42bis does.

>Prices for the AE modem with MNP-5 are competitive with other 2400 baud
>MNP-5 modems. Of course, having the capability means nothing unless other
>users also have that capability, so the popularity of the modem or standard
>means a great deal. But from what I've heard, 2400's with MNP-5 compression
>are pretty commonplace in the PC world. All the same, I wouldn't mind one
>of those USRobotics HST Dual standards...but the price of 9600 baud modem's
>is still high. As much as I like my old 1200 baud Apple Cat, with all it's
>special capabilities, I see that having a 2400 baud modem, that at least
>runs some form of V.22bis (which all of them do) is a must.
Yeah, the HST DS is a great modem, but at $805 or so, it is still one of the
most expensive out there.  I think you can now get V.32 modems between
$500 and $600.  Also, any 2400 MNP5 modem will be able to use the MNP5 with
9600 baud MNP 5 modems at the other end.

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/07/90)

Hmm...  Yeah, I do remember hearing of 2400 baud modems for $69, but where?
I can't find any anywhere.  Also, does anybody know of any really cheaply
priced 9600 baud modems?  (I mean cheap, relatively speaking).

THanks!

- Andrew.

P.S.  Please mail all replies to "aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu"

joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Joe Quilici) (12/14/90)

Yes, cheap modems are available from Practical Peripherals, about $495 cheap
street price...v.42bis.
----
ProLine:  joeq@pro-odyssey
Internet: joeq@pro-odyssey.cts.com