[comp.sys.apple2] Transwarp GS or Zipchip GSX?

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/12/90)

The message really isn't to anybody in particular, but I guess I'm finally
thinking about getting a speed accelerator.... anyway, I was wondering, is
there any major concensus as to which of these it better?  I haven't really
done any looking, so I don't even know any of the features (including the
actual speeds) of either one of these.

Thanks!

                                               - Andrew.

Internet:  aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu (Please email responses here.  Thanks!)
Bitnet: AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (This is ok, but the Internet address is best.)

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/13/90)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

>The message really isn't to anybody in particular, but I guess I'm finally
>thinking about getting a speed accelerator.... anyway, I was wondering, is
>there any major concensus as to which of these it better?  I haven't really
>done any looking, so I don't even know any of the features (including the
>actual speeds) of either one of these.

Zip GSX. 8 mhz out of the box. 200 mA total power draw. Chip count EIGHT.

TWGS. 6.25 mhz, 7 if you're lucky. Ungodly power draw. Chip count ??? too many.

The choice is yours.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (12/14/90)

Zip GSX: 8 Mhz 8 Chips.
TWGS 6.25 Mhz High chip count
Okay, which is *faster*?
(Having a slightly higher clock frequency does *NOT* make
the GSX necessarily faster).
*** Randy Hyde O-)

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (12/14/90)

In article <10571@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, rhyde@ucrmath (randy hyde) writes:
>Zip GSX: 8 Mhz 8 Chips.
>TWGS 6.25 Mhz High chip count
>Okay, which is *faster*?
>(Having a slightly higher clock frequency does *NOT* make
>the GSX necessarily faster).

But how much cache RAM does the TWGS have?  Is it expandable?  I've been
told that upgrading the ZipGSX to 64k of cache ram makes for a noticeable
speed increase.  And it also was designed for easier upgrading to a
faster CPU.  How easy is it to upgrade the CPU on the TWGS?

I'll give AE credit for coming out with the TWGS when they did, and it's
apparently worked quite well (once they got the bugs worked out, i.e., DMA
PAL problem, etc.) but it appears to me that Zip took their time and
came out with a better engineered product.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.084926.21484@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>Zip GSX. 8 mhz out of the box. 200 mA total power draw. Chip count EIGHT.
>
>TWGS. 6.25 mhz, 7 if you're lucky. Ungodly power draw. Chip count ??? too many.
>
>The choice is yours.

	Actually, only the early TWGS's came at 6.25 mhz, because AE
had problems getting chips in quantity.  I got my TWGS in the summer,
and it was running at 7mhz.

	As for other differences, they are both supposed to be
expandable, the Zip is supposed to be easier though.  The rumor was Ae
was going to come out with a 12 mhz upgrade, and I heard somewhere Zip
was supposed to have a 10 mhz upgrade as well.  I don't know if this
is true, but does AE have an exclusive contract with ASIC for their
chips?  I think someone posted somewhere that at 10 mhz you couldn't
tell the difference in speed between the Zip and the TWGS.

	The Zip GSX is cheaper, which is a big plus.  The only problem
with the Zip is that the cda isn't in the roms.  With the TWGS, as
soon as I turn on the computer I have the CDA allowing me to change
speeds, do self tests, etc.  I believe with the Zip you have to load
in the cda, and whether or not it stays in memory as long as the
computer is on, I'm not sure.

 _______________________________________________ _______________
| Steve Chiang	    Apple //gs forever          | Coming Soon:  |
|-----------------------------------------------|---------------|
| Internet       :  stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu |  DreamGrafix  |
| America_Online :  DWS Steve			|   3200 power  |
|_______________________________________________|_______________|

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/15/90)

Todd (W),
   Thanks for the info on Transwarp GS v. Zip.  Just one more question...
How do the prices compare?  Okay, I lied... two more questions... Does
anybody know any addresses (mail or email) or phone numbers (the toll-free
kind, preferably)?  Thanks!
                                               - Andrew.
Internet: aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu
Bitnet: AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET

P.S.  Write to which ever one you want... MTUS5 now forwards my mail to
balance.  :)