[comp.sys.apple2] Boycott A+

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (12/05/90)

On Wed, 5 Dec 90 00:11:32 CST Mark Steiger said:
>I;m trying to start a boycott against A+ magazine.  They said they'd allways be
>just an Apple Magazine.  now they have let the Mac's use our magazine.  There

By covering macs in their magazine, they're STILL an Apple only magazine.
Macs are Apples too.  Although, I don't like that they're doing it.

>hasta be close to a dozen Mac Magazines.  how many Apple Magazines are there??
>3 (Counting GS+).  Why must the main Apple II magazine open its doors to the
>MACS??  Let them use their other magazines.  Leave ours alone!!!!

Amen!

>Mark Steiger
>
>[ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo 218/262-3142  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST/Dual)]
>
>ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
>UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
>Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
>ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (12/05/90)

|From:         Mark Steiger <penguin@GNH-IGLOO.CTS.COM>
|
|I'm trying to start a boycott against A+ magazine.  They said they'd always be
|just an Apple Magazine.  now they have let the Mac's use our magazine.  There
|hasta be close to a dozen Mac Magazines.  how many Apple Magazines are there??
|3 (Counting GS+).  Why must the main Apple II magazine open its doors to the
|MACS??  Let them use their other magazines.  Leave ours alone!!!!
|
|Mark Steiger

I support you boycott. But why would you want to bring inCider/A+ back to
the fold...they want to go - let them go!! They won't last ten minutes as
a pure Mac magazine.

If you've read Dan Muse and Paul Statt's editorials (not to mention that
David Thornburg atrocity a few months ago) over the last six months, you'll
see where their interests lie. It's clear that they're Mac users masquerading
as Apple II users. They talk down to Apple II users; It's very patronizing.
There can be no question whose payroll they are on...Apple's.

Don't just stop subscribing...let them know about it. Write inCider and tell
them up which bodily orifice they can stick their magazine.

----------------------------------
|  MARK A. ORR                   |
|  $CSD211 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU  |
|          @ LSUVM.BITNET        |
----------------------------------

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (12/05/90)

In article <m0igrWK-00007qC@jartel.info.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>I;m trying to start a boycott against A+ magazine.  They said they'd allways be
>just an Apple Magazine.  now they have let the Mac's use our magazine.  There
>hasta be close to a dozen Mac Magazines.  how many Apple Magazines are there??
>3 (Counting GS+).  Why must the main Apple II magazine open its doors to the
>MACS??  Let them use their other magazines.  Leave ours alone!!!!

When I first read about A+/Incider's decision to include Macintosh coverage
in it's magazine, I was a bit upset.  But then I went through my old A+
magazines and I found something interesting.  Back in 1985, The A+ magazine
said "The Independent Guide for APPLE Computing."  In the upper right hand
corner was a box saying "Including MACINTOSH Coverage."  In 1986, the cover
of A+ listed "Apple II/Macintosh" under the A+ logo.  It wasn't until 1987 when
A+ put "The #1 Apple II Magazine" under the A+ logo.

After they did away with Macintosh info in their magazine, it took less than
2 years for the magazine to have to sell out to Incider.  Now, do we REALLY
want to boycott the *ONLY* (besides Nibble) comercial magazine that does
more than give lip service to the Apple II?

If you're upset about Incider's decision, you have to take into account the
historical precedent established when A+ discarded the mac.  The publishing
industry is their to make money.  It's understandable that Incider would
want to increase it's user base.

If you want an Apple II magazine only, I'd suggest you look into A2-Central.

=  R. Scott Henderson                  =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =
=				       =   my own damned fault."	     =
=  Internet:  scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu  =		-Jimmy Buffet	     =
=  Bitnet:  scotth@uiuc.vmd	       =				     =
=				       =    	Apple II Forever!	     =

meekins@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (timothy lee meekins) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.155227.21943@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> you write:
>In article <m0igrWK-00007qC@jartel.info.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:

 [snip snip]

>If you're upset about Incider's decision, you have to take into account the
>historical precedent established when A+ discarded the mac.  The publishing
>industry is their to make money.  It's understandable that Incider would
>want to increase it's user base.

Get real!! IF I owned a Macintosh, do you seriously think I would subscribe
to InCider (let's get names straight, A+ died a year ago) simple becuase it
has 1 or 2 Mac articles in it?? No way. As an Apple II user, would you
subscribe to PC World if they ran a single column on the Apple II. No!

All InCider is doing is cutting their throats. They're going to lose 50%
of their subscription to people like myself who are fed-up with them, and
they're not going to gain a single new subscriber simply becuase they have
a little section on Macs.

Also, A+ had a Macintosh section when the Mac was new and didn't have any
real magizines of its own. Also, A+ didn't drop the Mac section, but created
a second magazine devoted to the Mac, and A+ returned to the apple II.
FYI, Nibble also did the same thing, for about 6 months, Nibble had a section
on the Macintosh, soon afterwards they created Nibble Mac and returned to
publishing Apple II. Again, no one complained then because the Apple II was
still doing well and the Mac didn't have many of its own magazines.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/06/90)

In article <m0igrWK-00007qC@jartel.info.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>I;m trying to start a boycott against A+ magazine.  They said they'd allways be
>just an Apple Magazine.  now they have let the Mac's use our magazine.  There
>hasta be close to a dozen Mac Magazines.  how many Apple Magazines are there??
>3 (Counting GS+).  Why must the main Apple II magazine open its doors to the
>MACS??  Let them use their other magazines.  Leave ours alone!!!!

Leaving aside the fact that Macs are also Apples,
the obvious reason for the inclusion of Mac material is that the
Apple II market is (rightly, I believe) perceived as dying out,
so A+ felt they had to do something to stay in business.

SoftTalk is an Apple II-only magazine...

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.155227.21943@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:
>                                                          Now, do we REALLY
>want to boycott the *ONLY* (besides Nibble) comercial magazine that does
>more than give lip service to the Apple II?

Nibble
COMPUTIST
A2-Central
SoftDisk

>If you're upset about Incider's decision, you have to take into account the
>historical precedent established when A+ discarded the mac.  The publishing
>industry is their to make money.  It's understandable that Incider would
>want to increase it's user base.

There has been a trend in inCider/A+ toward the educational market.  It
seems pretty clear that the expansion to Mac stuff corresponds to
Apple's push for Macintoshes in education.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) (12/06/90)

In article <m0igrWK-00007qC@jartel.info.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>I;m trying to start a boycott against A+ magazine.  They said they'd allways be

  Yea, great idea.  Boycott the magazine, watch subscriptions fall, over a
couple of months the magazine will start getting smaller and smaller with
regards to Apple II material, and then boom.  Then what will we do?????

Brilliant, bloody brilliant...

--
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GSCii	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + {MUCH more to come...}	      +

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (12/06/90)

|From:         Scott Henderson
|              <swrinde!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!ux1.cso.uiuc
|              .edu!scotth@UCSD.EDU>
|
|When I first read about A+/Incider's decision to include Macintosh coverage
|in it's magazine, I was a bit upset.  But then I went through my old A+
|magazines and I found something interesting.  Back in 1985, The A+ magazine
|said "The Independent Guide for APPLE Computing."  In the upper right hand
|corner was a box saying "Including MACINTOSH Coverage."  In 1986, the cover
|of A+ listed "Apple II/Macintosh" under the A+ logo.  It wasn't until 1987 whe
|A+ put "The #1 Apple II Magazine" under the A+ logo.
|
|After they did away with Macintosh info in their magazine, it took less than
|2 years for the magazine to have to sell out to Incider.  Now, do we REALLY
|want to boycott the *ONLY* (besides Nibble) comercial magazine that does
|more than give lip service to the Apple II?

Ahhhh...but there's a difference. A+ was indeed a Macintosh/ Apple II magazine,
but one I could live with (a little...I accused them of the same things I find
myself accusing inCider of now). The Apple II and Mac sections were SEPERATE.
That is not the INTENT of the new inCider/A+. Their goal (unquestionably
financed by Mac Inc.) is to INTERTWINE the Mac and Apple II. You'll see. At
every turn, they'll try to convince sales of the Macintosh. In the future,
expect an increase in the incidence of the phrase: "If you want more power,
just buy a Mac" (it's one of their favorites)

If you are an Apple II user and you give a damn about the future of the
Apple II, you should:
      (1) Cancel your subscription to inCider/A+ forthwith
      (2) Write to Editors Dan (Quayle) Muse, Paul Statt, and to David
          Thornburg (the writer of "The Learning Curve" who wrote, a few
          months ago, in a magazine that claimed to be THE Apple II magazine,
          that the Apple II was out of steam and that its users should upgrade
          to the Macintosh) and tell them exactly why their rag isn't worth
          it's weight in dog phlegm (a video tape of them burning in effigy
          would complement this nicely)

----------------------------------
|  $CSD211 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU  |
|          @ LSUVM.BITNET        |
|couple of months the magazine will start getting smaller and smaller with
|regards to Apple II material, and then boom.  Then what will we do?????

Rejoice, I expect...

There are, after all several other good Apple II publications. Publications
whose editors actually use Apple IIs. (like Nibble, A2-Central, GS+)

Look, It's inCider's goal to convert Apple II users to the Mac (that's what
Apple's paying them for...After all inCider is produced by IDG, the company
which brought you AmigaWorld and MacWorld long before these machines hit the
streets - they didn't do it for free) Read the editorials...they talk down to
us; they act like we're fools to complain about Apple's marketing of the II.
We aren't the fools...they are, if they think we are going to stick around
while they insult us. Believe me, inCider needs us a lot more than we need
them (as I've said, they wont last ten minutes as a Mac magazine, especially
when their market is so limited...the Mac LC)

|--

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (12/06/90)

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (12/07/90)

In article <14662@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>SoftTalk is an Apple II-only magazine...

It also died a VERY long time ago--before I got my IIe (in July 1985),
anyway.  Softalk's demise is why Tom Weishaar started producing
Open-Apple (now known as A2-Central).

Just putting things into historical perspective...

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (12/07/90)

>Garbage about everybody complaining about InCider/A+..

First, before I say anything, I must make clear that this is my OPINION.  Feel
free to flame.. in email, naturally.

I respectfully suggest we all grow up.  I mean, I had originally thought that
coverage of the Mac (ocassional coverage, that is) would be good, considering
that the Duet was coming out.  Well, the Duet is scrapped.  So, you're saying,
what do I think NOW?  Well, I'm not upset.  I have a GS.  I used it
constantly.  Is the magazine still 95% Apple II?  Yes, it is.  The occasional
Mac article is interesting to me.  It's interesting to see what the Macs are
all about (considering I've never paid any attention to them).  It's also nice
to be able to read about the software that's coming out for them.

What you've got to understand is this:  it is NOT changing over to a 100% mac
mag.  I won't read something like that because it doesn't cater to my
interests.  It get's much to Macintoshy.  The articles on the Mac that
InCider/A+ would/do publish, are those that are informative articles...
something to supplement the coverage of Apple computers in general.  They're
not majorly technical.  What I am getting at is that the mac info is info
that is fit for a general audience.  Information for inquiring minds.

HOWEVER, if they start printing articles dealing with the motherboard
schematics and articles on the design differences between the processor this
mac uses as opposed to this mac and that it is BETTER than the GS, I WILL
cancel my subscription.  I do NOT want to see this mag print mac stuff and say
"Well, the GS can't do this either."  That's the last straw.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon
           We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little looney....

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (12/07/90)

In article <14662@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) says:

>SoftTalk is an Apple II-only magazine...

Do you know something we don't? Or are you in a time warp back
to the early 80's?

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (12/08/90)

|From:         Terry Guelfo
|              <usc!ucselx!crash!pro-harvest.cts.com!tg.exc@APPLE.COM>
|
|I respectfully suggest we all grow up.  I mean, I had originally thought that
|coverage of the Mac (ocassional coverage, that is) would be good, considering
|that the Duet was coming out.  Well, the Duet is scrapped.  So, you're saying,
|what do I think NOW?  Well, I'm not upset.  I have a GS.  I used it
|constantly.  Is the magazine still 95% Apple II?  Yes, it is.  The occasional
|Mac article is interesting to me.  It's interesting to see what the Macs are
|all about (considering I've never paid any attention to them).  It's also nice
|to be able to read about the software that's coming out for them.
|
|What you've got to understand is this:  it is NOT changing over to a 100% mac
|mag.  I won't read something like that because it doesn't cater to my
|interests.  It get's much to Macintoshy.  The articles on the Mac that
|InCider/A+ would/do publish, are those that are informative articles...
|something to supplement the coverage of Apple computers in general.  They're
|not majorly technical.  What I am getting at is that the mac info is info
|that is fit for a general audience.  Information for inquiring minds.

DONT YOU BELIEVE IT....Just watch! From now on, inCider/A+ will tout the Mac LC
as the solution to all Apple II woes. Apple has targeted inCider/A+ because
they have a number of education-oriented readers (administrators and the like)
and inCider will not disappoint them. Their overall tone will be: "Oh well, the
Apple II seems to be dying (go figure)...At least there's the Mac LC"

----------------------------------
|  MARK A. ORR                   |
|  $CSD211 @ LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU  |
|          @ LSUVM.BITNET        |
----------------------------------

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/08/90)

In article <2424@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>In article <14662@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>SoftTalk is an Apple II-only magazine...
>It also died a VERY long time ago--

Apparently you missed my point..

matthew@pro-sherwood.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (12/08/90)

> When I first read about A+/Incider's decision to include Macintosh coverage
> in it's magazine, I was a bit upset.  But then I went through my old A+
> magazines and I found something interesting.  Back in 1985, The A+ magazine
> said "The Independent Guide for APPLE Computing."  In the upper right hand
> corner was a box saying "Including MACINTOSH Coverage."  In 1986, the cover
> of A+ listed "Apple II/Macintosh" under the A+ logo.  It wasn't until 1987
> when A+ put "The #1 Apple II Magazine" under the A+ logo.
>
> After they did away with Macintosh info in their magazine, it took less than
> 2 years for the magazine to have to sell out to Incider.  Now, do we REALLY
> want to boycott the *ONLY* (besides Nibble) comercial magazine that does
> more than give lip service to the Apple II?
>
> If you're upset about Incider's decision, you have to take into account the
> historical precedent established when A+ discarded the mac.  The publishing
> industry is their to make money.  It's understandable that Incider would
> want to increase it's user base.

I agree, that eliminating the mac did not help the magazine as a whole, but
perhaps they thought they could just focus on entirely on Apple // and they
found out the hardway, that they couldnt. I stop subscribing once it changed
over, I never really liked Incider, thats why I subscribed to A+

-- matthew

   ProLine : matthew@pro-sherwood                | Pro-Sherwood
   Internet: matthew@pro-sherwood.cts.com        | <NJNEW> 233-6278 (PCP)
       UUCP: crash!pro-sherwood!matthew          |     -- NJ:USA --
       ARPA: crash!pro-sherwood!matthew@nosc.mil | or 1201-233-6278 (AT&T)

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (12/08/90)

On Fri, 7 Dec 90 19:55:46 GMT Doug Gwyn said:
>In article <2424@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER)
> writes:
>>In article <14662@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>>SoftTalk is an Apple II-only magazine...
>>It also died a VERY long time ago--
>
>Apparently you missed my point..

I mus have too.  Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but, what was it?

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (12/10/90)

        Why in the world would I ever want to buy A+/Intraitor magazine
if I owned a Mac? There are MANY excellent Macmags like MacWorld that
have been around for YEARS and have much more to offer a Mac user than
a corporate mouthpiece like Intraitor! *If* I end up going Mac (after my poor
GS has been so beaten that its hopeless to keep it up) I will certainly NOT
be an A-/Intraitor fan!!!
                                             - Radioactive Flamingly Yours
                                             - Joe Nowakowski

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/11/90)

In article <90341.101948ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>In article <14662@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) says:
>>SoftTalk is an Apple II-only magazine...
>Do you know something we don't? Or are you in a time warp back
>to the early 80's?

I'm not going to explain this, because if you had been following the
thread of discussion you should be able to figure out my point.

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/15/90)

I might boycott, but it's looking like inCider/A+ is doing it for me!

Would you believe I STILL don't have the December issue????

I'd better send something to them and see if they lost a few subs from
their database while they were busy pandering to the LC types...

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: