[comp.sys.apple2] Proposed get-together on the IRC.

marekp@torag.uucp (Marek Pawlowski) (12/09/90)

If the turn-out is good enough, this should be quite the experience.

I propose a get together on the IRC (type "irc" from the shell prompt,
if you are logged in to a site on the Internet, and have irc installed
on your site) on December 15, 1990, in the "+Apple" channel.

Time scheduled:  7pm EDT - X[pm/am] EDT

Topic:  Anything and everything.

My point is that no one is ever really synchronized (sp) for a get
together on the IRC.  And it is a truly powerful (and entertaining)
means of conversation.  A get together of Apple users, where we can
all chat, would be very nice.

This is only possible to people on the Internet.

I'll try to be there.  Till then, take care!

generic!pnet91!marekp@zoo.toronto.edu

--

Marek Pawlowski | marekp@contact.uucp, marekp@generic.uucp, marekp@pnet91.uucp,

knauer@sunc5 (Rob Knauerhase) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec09.020335.6476@torag.uucp> marekp@torag.uucp (Marek Pawlowski) writes:
>I propose a get together on the IRC (type "irc" from the shell prompt,
>if you are logged in to a site on the Internet, and have irc installed
>on your site) on December 15, 1990, in the "+Apple" channel.
>
>Time scheduled:  7pm EDT - X[pm/am] EDT
>
>Topic:  Anything and everything.

This is actually a pretty good idea; from what I've seen of IRC, (at least
here) it's an undergraduate time-waster.  This would put it to good use.

The key is participation.  I don't know how many sites run IRC, though.
The Unknown User's idea of getting someone "famous" on-line is something we
should look into, but probably not feasible before this Saturday night.

If you have access to telnet but not IRC, there's a BBS-type system (called
FreeNet) sponsored by Case Western Reserve University (in the guise of the
National Public Telecomputing Network or some other silly name) at
freenet-in-a.cwru.edu.  You have to mail in a registration to be allowed to
do anything real, and the menus are quite literally user-hostile, but it will
at least let you get to IRC if your site isn't running it locally.

Rob Knauerhase
Robert C. Knauerhase
   knauer@cs.uiuc.edu                    U of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
   rck@ces.cwru.edu,knauer@cwru.bitnet   Case Western Reserve University
   knauer@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov           NASA Lewis Research Center

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/15/90)

Unfortunately, this IRC gettogether will come a little early for me.

My site is considering going on Internet, but it will be way past tomorrow
when they do.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it: