[comp.sys.apple2] 1.44 vs 1.60 MB 3.5 formatting

throop@hilbert.UUCP (Henry Throop) (12/09/90)

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing it.  Does
anyone know what the format of a 1.44 MB floppy is based on?  Is it the same
as a 720K (IBM) 3.5, but just with twice the number of tracks, and thus
a constant angular velocity?  Or is is some variant on the 800K formatting?
Are Mac and IBM 1.44 disks readable (sector-wise) by the same drives?
Thanks.

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/09/90)

throop@hilbert.UUCP (Henry Throop) writes:

>Maybe this has been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing it.  Does
>anyone know what the format of a 1.44 MB floppy is based on?  Is it the same
>as a 720K (IBM) 3.5, but just with twice the number of tracks, and thus
>a constant angular velocity?  Or is is some variant on the 800K formatting?
>Are Mac and IBM 1.44 disks readable (sector-wise) by the same drives?

What I do know:

IBM drives are CAV, and the Apple drives aren't.

For the actual bit encoding on the disk, IBM drives use MFM as opposed to
the GCR used by Apple drives before the FDHD. These encodings are how the
bit stream actually appears as pulses on the disk, and are generally
implemented in hardware. MFM is a simple technique, but GCR stores about 20%
more data on the same disk. The difference between the two is basically a
change in the digital state machine that sits between the disk interface
and the actual drive head.

Apple's push towards IBM formats is because of their business thrust. I
gotta admit it would be nice to read IBM formats, but to do it AE would
have to make what would amount to a beefed up Unidisk. AE is opting
for performance and storage rather than IBM compatibility.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

kpopple@imp.sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.130157.10685@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

> Apple's push towards IBM formats is because of their business thrust. I
> gotta admit it would be nice to read IBM formats, but to do it AE would
> have to make what would amount to a beefed up Unidisk. AE is opting
> for performance and storage rather than IBM compatibility.

If you want an IBM PC Compatable disk drive for your apple, contact
Patrick McLaughlin of Convergent Technology (CTI).  (801) 364-4171,
mail 516 12th Ave Salt Lake City Utah 84103.

He is marketing a disk controller card for the Apple II line which
allows the reading and writing of IBM PC Compatable disks.  It will
support 360k 5.25 or 800k 3.5" drives.  It could also be made to read
other disk formats.
Cost for the card is only $70, and drives near $100 is low for Apples!

They work well, at least in the small use I have given them. Prodos and Apex
only on my Apple IIe and Apple II+
Ken Poppleton
kpopple@esunix@orca.es.com

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/12/90)

Ken Poppelton was talking about a 3rd part IBM disk drive for Apple II's.
Just wondering, do they come with GS/OS device drivers?

                                                    - Andrew.

Internet: aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu   Bitnet: AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET

jgieske@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John Erik Gieske) (12/15/90)

Seeing all of the debate/interest created by AE's FDHD, I thought this may be
of some interest to you GS users:

	Quoted without permission from MicroTimes December 10, 1990 page 218

The Insite I325VM (variable mode) Floptical disk drive is the first 20Mb
3.5" floppy disk drive also able to read and write standard Double
Density and High Density diskettes.  This is achieved by merging optical
and magnetic recording technologies with the use of low cost components
developed for compact disk recording as well as traditional magnetic
floppy diskette drive assemblies.  The Floptical is designed to plug
and play with existing SCSI host adapters for IBM PC, XT, AT, PS/2, Mac,
and other SCSI-compatible computers.  Insite Peripherals, Inc., 4433
Fortran Dr., San Jose, CA 95134.  (408) 946-8080

Note: I am not employed by MicroTimes, nor by Insite Peripherals.
      I just wanted to share some information.
| INTERNET: jgieske@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU |"The concept of progress acts as a   |
|                                       | protective mechanism to shield us   |
| USmail  : John Gieske                 | from the terrors of the future."    |
|	    Sierra Madre #32B           |				      |
|	    California Polytechnic Univ |"How often it is that the angry man  |
|           San Luis Obispo, CA   93410 | rages denial of what the inner self |
|					| is telling him."		      |
|					|			      Muad'Dib|