[comp.sys.apple2] Alternative Editors

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (12/14/90)

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) writes:

>Might I suggest dumping the Orca editor for Rose 16 from Randy Brant (Yes, of
>AppleWorks fame)?  It's a slick FAST editor with mega options.  I won't use
>the Orca editor anymore.

>BTW, as I remember, Rose is shareware.

What's the latest version of Rose? I haven't logged into GEnie lately.
The last I have is 0.56, but it's so bugged up I still use 0.53.
(0.56 attempted to include support for REAL tabs, but it didn't work right
at all).

Rose still has some bugs, including the cursor moving to bizarre places
under certain conditions, garbage getting appended to files, buffer
names getting trashed when the editor is called from an aborted compile,
and a few others.  But it's nice because it works just like AppleWorks
(there's an APW work-alike, also).

I probably ought to use EMACS, but I don't want to learn it!

There was also another alternative editor- the Hurricane Editor, by
Jason Blochowiak.  It was somewhat unusable because of it's beta status,
but it was very nice. It had text pull down menus, mouse control for
everything, Hypertext help, and bunches of nice features.  Whatever
happened to Jason, anyway? Are you still out there?

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Being is Mathematics
Senior/Computer Engineering | Love is Chemistry

bclark@pro-harvest.cts.com (Brian Clark) (12/15/90)

>From what I've seen of the ROSE 16 Editor is that it is extremely fast and
does use the same key commands as the ORCA Shell editor... which is real nice.
Real Tabs would be nice (cut down on code size).  But the one BIG problem I
see with the ROSE 16 Editor is that it doesn't support past 80 Columns. While
this may be fine for assembler programmers, it makes it near worthless for C
programmers like me.  My guess also is that is one of the reasons the ROSE
editor is faster than ORCA's.  (Oh yeah, multiple files is pretty nice in ROSE
also).
|   Brian Clark    |||  \    ProLine:  bclark@pro-harvest           |
|------------------|-|--=>  InterNet:  bclark@pro-harvest.cts.com   |
| "][gs Forever!!" |||  /       UUCP:  crash!pro-harvest!bclark     |