[comp.sys.apple2] Looking for GS/OS Exerciser

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (11/17/90)

A couple of weeks ago, I asked about making a GS/OS Create call, and someone
said that I should get the GS/OS Exerciser disk, which was available on
America Online. Does anyone know the path to get to the file? I tried using
the quickfinder file search, and it found a Quickdraw II exerciser for TML
pascal, but nothing for GS/OS.

Also, does anyone know what GS/OS error $4F during a Volume call means?
It's not listed in Nifty List or any of my manuals (still don't have the GS/OS
ref manuals yet... no dough :-)

Thanks!
Dave Huang

--
David Huang                              |       "I didn't order any
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |        pizzas, especially

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (11/17/90)

 The GS/OS exerciser is not on America Online.  Its
bundled with GSBug and was given away free at
KansasFest but there isn't any other way to get it.
GSBug is worth the $$, you can order it straight
from APDA.

Error $4F means the space you have provided for a
pathname is too small ("Class 1 output path too
small" or somesuch).  You need to expand the size of
the buffer provided.  One way to handle this easily
is to allocate a XX byte handle (ie, 69) and then if
you get error $4F resize the handle to XX more bytes
(ie, 69+200).  Keep incrementing by 100,1000,50, or
whatever bytes until you don't get error $4F.

Another (easier) way is to allocate a 4k or 8k
buffer...but that could increase the size of your
program dramatically!

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/17/90)

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

>Also, does anyone know what GS/OS error $4F during a Volume call means?
>It's not listed in Nifty List or any of my manuals (still don't have the GS/OS
>ref manuals yet... no dough :-)

$4f means Buffer Too Small. You aren't allocating enough space for the return
information.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov17.001820.7909@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>
>>Also, does anyone know what GS/OS error $4F during a Volume call means?
>>It's not listed in Nifty List or any of my manuals (still don't have the GS/OS
>>ref manuals yet... no dough :-)
>
>$4f means Buffer Too Small. You aren't allocating enough space for the return
>information.
>
>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Gee, how much space do I need? Volume just returns the volume name of the disk
in a specific device, and I don't expect any 1000 character volume names...
Jawaid Bazyar sent me the GS/OS exerciser disk though, so I'll probably find
out.

Thanks!

--

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (11/26/90)

>> said the GS/OS Exerciser was available on America Online...

Well, the GS/OS Exerciser is NOT available on America Online... In fact, it
isn't even in the public domain! It's only available through APDA, and it comes
with the GSBug (Apple IIGS Debugger) package ($30 - call APDA at 800-282-2732
for info)... The old ProDOS 16 Exerciser came in the "Programmer's Introduction
to the Apple IIGS", but it also wasn't in the public domain...

Daniel M. Zimmerman                        InterNet: dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises                          CompuServe: 76407,2246
                                           America Online: Surak TFF
The Final Frontier - Randolph, NJ          BBS Phone: (201) 989-0545

"Learn reason above all. Learn clear thought; learn to know what is from what
seems to be, and what you wish to be. This is the key to everything: the truth
of reality, the reality of truth. What IS will set you free."
                                                        - Surak Of Vulcan

Kapffer@UAIMZA.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE (11/30/90)

>>> said the GS/OS Exerciser was available on America Online...
>
>Well, the GS/OS Exerciser is NOT available on America Online... In fact, it
>isn't even in the public domain! It's only available through APDA, and it comes
>with the GSBug (Apple IIGS Debugger) package ($30 - call APDA at 800-282-2732
>for info)... The old ProDOS 16 Exerciser came in the "Programmer's Introduction
>to the Apple IIGS", but it also wasn't in the public domain...

Besides APDA, both the GS/OS Exerciser and GSBug are included on the
Developer CD Series IV: Discy Business issued by Apple's Developer Group
back in August.

                        M a t t h i a s   K a p f f e r

email:  Kapffer@uaimza.Mathematik.Uni-Mainz.DE

lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) (12/04/90)

What is the GS/OS Exerciser (sp?)?

Question?  I received just recently a letter and brochure from Byteworks Inc.
which wrote Orca Pascal etc....  Anyway, in the brochure and letter Byteworks
is offering the Orca C package plus a tutorial manual and another disk of
samples (I believe, I dont have the brochure with me at this time).  What I
would like to know, is the Orca C bug-free ( I mean, is it acceptable? ) and
has anyone read the tutorial book?

I would like to get a good C compiler for the GS and would like to find out
about some options?  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for any response!

Sam
Sam Robertson                                        Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
1357 Santos                                                   Sysop (Saw)
Abilene, Texas 79605                                         (915)673-6856
(915)673-4145

Proline:  Lexter@Pro-Abilink         INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com
UUCP:     Crash!pro-abilink!lexter   ARPA: Crash!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
               BitNet:  Lexter%pro-abilink.cts.com@nosc.mil
                  "You don't have to HIDEAWAY!" -Erasure

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/07/90)

lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) writes:

>What is the GS/OS Exerciser (sp?)?

It's a program that lets you manually make GS/OS calls -- it's generally
intended as a debugging aid and as a way to verify that the system actually
does in a given situation (especially if the documentation is vague about
the specific question).

>Question?  I received just recently a letter and brochure from Byteworks Inc.
>which wrote Orca Pascal etc....  Anyway, in the brochure and letter Byteworks
>is offering the Orca C package plus a tutorial manual and another disk of

before the usual ration of 'Orca/C sucks' postings hit the net, let me say that
orca/c is still the best C compiler out for the GS. We should be grateful that
byteworks has not bailed out -- they are a tiny operation and I'll bet Mike
is seriously burned out every few months.

in spite of that, though, I am impressed at what ORCA/C will do. I have
entrusted my Computer Graphics Lab project to Orca (the object is about 25K at
this point, with six or so source files) and it hasn't been the cause of any of
my problems yet.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Kapffer@UAIMZA.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE (12/13/90)

>What is the GS/OS Exerciser (sp?)?

The GS/OS Exerciser is a menu driven utility offering an environment for
interactive execution of GS/OS calls (things like open a file, read a block
of bytes, get information on a file, ...) so they can be tried w/o writing
a test program of your own. Very nice if you are going to write programs w/
direct GS/OS access (NOT using Pascal's or C's system independant I/O
features) or just to gain some understanding playing with the various
options.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (12/13/90)

On Wed, 12 Dec 90 18:32:38 +0100 <Kapffer%UAIMZA.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE@CUNYVM.

>>What is the GS/OS Exerciser (sp?)?
>>
>The GS/OS Exerciser is a menu driven utility offering an environment for
  =stuff deleted=
>options.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but where can we get this?
If it's PD, could some kind soul upload it to Apple2-L Please? (Pretty PLEASE?)

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com (Daniel Zimmerman) (12/17/90)

>> The GS/OS Exerciser is a menu-driven utility...
> I'm sure this has been asked before, but where can we get this...

The only way to get the GS/OS Exerciser (LEGALLY) is to buy the GSBug 4.0b1 (or
whatever version it's up to now) package from APDA ($30). The GS/OS Exerciser
comes in both a SYS16 program format, and a CDA format, so it's real easy to
use... Very friendly, menu-driven, plus in the same package you get the
incredibly helpful GSBug debugging utility (INIT and SYS16 formats, unless
they've eliminated the SYS16 format already, I remember they said they might do
that sometime in the future), and some other useful CDAs... Call APDA,
1-800-282-2732 (from within the US, or 1-800-637-0029 from within Canada, or
1-408-562-3910 from anywhere else), for more info on it... GSBug's part number
is: A0037LL/A.
Daniel M. Zimmerman             InterNet - dzimmerman@gnh-tff.cts.com
  TFF Enterprises       America Online - Surak TFF    CompuServe - 76407,2246