[comp.sys.apple2] IRC Chat on Dec 15

f175011@yogi.ucdavis.edu (12/16/90)

Well...I didn't make it to the little forum on Dec 15, so if anyone was
there at all, could you post a synopsis of what happened?  I don't suppose
anyone kept a script of what was going on?  If so, could that be posted as
well?

Also...I finally managed to get IRC, albeit with a bit confusing problems.
For those sites which still don't have IRC, you can ftp it from
	rvw2.hhs.ri.cmu.edu [128.2.104.65]
	Send bug reports, comments, or questions to
	   Michael Sandrof <ms5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
It's rather large, but it's worth it.

Will there be another one?  If so, has anyone set the date?  Is there going
to be some 'official' coordinator-person for this from now on?  Is there
a possibility to get this going on forumnet (which seems to run a bit better
on our system, while we 'break in' irc).

Last...if you don't have IRC, but have telnet ability, apparetly you can
log into a 'bbs' site mars.ee.msstate.edu.  It looks like a normal 'bbs' but
one of the various options is to talk on IRC.  Their system is limited
resources, so obviously not every single person who doesn't have IRC access
can call there and login (I think they only allow 5-10 people on the bbs
at any one time).  If anyone knows of any other places where you can do this,
I'd appreciate a note in my mailbox.

Thanks all...and I hope we have another one of these and hopefully I can
make it next time.

Paul Hirose
pthirose@ucdavis

|  Internet   pthirose@ucdavis.edu     : USnail Mail      : "Violence is the  |
|  BITNET     pthirose@ucdavis         :   Paul Hirose    :  last refuge of   |
|  UUCP       ucdavis!pthirose         :   230 A St, #18  :  the incompetent" |
|             ucdavis!deneb!ez001793   :   Davis, CA 95616:  --ISAAC ASIMOV   |
|  Alternate  ccrovac@deneb.ucdavis.edu:--------------------------------------|
|  GENIE      P.HIROSE1                : Disclaimer: I speak my own thoughts  |

In article <9684@aggie.ucdavis.edu> pthirose@ucdavis.edu (Paul Hirose) writes:
>Well...I didn't make it to the little forum on Dec 15, so if anyone was
>there at all, could you post a synopsis of what happened?  I don't suppose
>anyone kept a script of what was going on?  If so, could that be posted as
>well?

	What do you mean you didn't make it yet? It is TODAY.. In about
40 minutes to be relatively precise.

	You probably made the same lame screwup that I did. (I can call
it lame since I did it too!)..

	I got on YESTERDAY at about 4pm (pacific), and was on for like
a half an hour and couldn't find anyone at all that seemed familiar from
here.. Then I realized TODAY was the 15th... I guess it just seemed
logical to have it on a Friday afternoon since lots of people who get
UNIX/InterNet/UseNet access only at work probably coudln't attend the
discussion.

	I -still- hate IRC! I got it to scroll and all like I complained about
earlier, but it's very slow in scrolling since it has to scroll THEN
rewrite the two bottom lines... aaaaack!

	Fnet is MUCH better.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |

clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Roth) (12/16/90)

Hi.  Just getting set for the showdown in about two minutes.....
For you folks that are confused with this whole irc thing &/or
have NO idea how to compile irc, here's a solution which another
person pointed out:

if you have telnet access (most of us do, I figure....)
do this:
    telnet irc-server.engin.umich.edu 6666

(6666 is the irc port here.  Sorry I don't know the internet # of
 irc-server.engin.umich.edu)

And if this turns out to be a-ok, perhaps we might do this on a
weekly (monthly?) basis?

I'm otta here
clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Roth)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/16/90)

Port 6666?  That's odd... everywhere else it's port 6667.

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (12/17/90)

In article <10150@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	I -still- hate IRC! I got it to scroll and all like I complained about
>earlier, but it's very slow in scrolling since it has to scroll THEN
>rewrite the two bottom lines... aaaaack!

I didn't have any of those problems.  You might want to check the
terminal emulation you're using; some (such as vt100) are better at
scrolling regions of the screen than others.  The status line and
minibuffer (emacs-ism :-) ) on the bottom of the screen were always
there.

You might also want to check the IRC software you're using; my machine
has IRCII v1.95, and I didn't have any of the problems you describe.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Roth) (12/17/90)

In article <90350.042244AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> <AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> writes:
>Port 6666?  That's odd... everywhere else it's port 6667.

yes, it is.  It is very handy as anyone (I think) that has telnet
access can simply type:
	telnet irc-server.engin.umich.edu 6666
(assuming some sort of unix machine)
and suddenly be running irc, without even logging in.
For ex: I can do it from MERIT, the computer network here in michigan,
without logging into anything at all.

Perhaps a list of such sites might be useful for the next time we try this?
If people send me (email) their sites I will compile such a list and post
it 3 days before the next meeting.  In this way we might avoid problems
like a certain site not having enough ports to handle all the users,
and/or network traffic (we may be able to find sites closer to our location,
and thus increase screen update time.)

Any thoughts about this?
clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu
Steve Roth

marekp@pnet91.cts.com (Marek Pawlowski) (12/19/90)

I have posted a summary of what went down on the meeting.

The plan is to have ameeting every Saturday on the IRC, channel +Apple,
7:00pm, EDT.

I am the self-appointed organizer/moderator/bad speller.

/* Marek Pawlowski, marekp@{generic|pnet91|contact|bkj386|torag|aunix}.uucp */
/* President, Intelligent Twist Software, 250 Harding Blvd, PO BOX 32017    */
/* Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 9M7, CANADA.  An ideal route is as follows:  */
/* { Ph: (416) 884-4501 4-8pm EDT } generic!pnet91!marekp@zoo.toronto.edu   */