[comp.sys.apple2] Talk Is Cheap

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (12/17/90)

  Is Talk Is Cheap public domain, shareware, or commercial?  Is it available
from any archives?

| Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet        |
| Department of Mathematics  |                             |
| University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500      |
| 32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein        |
| Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231  |
|__________________________________________________________|

dpalermo@aludra.usc.edu (Dan Palermo) (12/18/90)

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:

>  Is Talk Is Cheap public domain, shareware, or commercial?  Is it available
>from any archives?

  Talk is Cheap (TIC) was previously shareware, but is now a commercial
product.  I have seen it available from various mail order houses and is
definitely worth the price (~$30->$40).  I have been using it for quite
some time now and have really been happy with it.  It is capable of
Xmodem, Ymodem, ASCII Express Prodos transfers, and straight text.  I
still use Kermit for kermit transfers (makes sense) by quitting TIC (without
losing the connection) and hopping into Kermit.

  I like it because all commands are very easy to access (open apple-key)
and the user scripting language is quite flexible, allowing macros to be
established (closed apple-key).  It also supports about a dozen different
terminal emulations (vt52 is the most useful) through a 1-byte filter
(this is the reason why it doesn't do vt100, wyse50, etc).  Overall, TIC
is a very lightweight, easy to use communication program and I would highly
recommend it.

  If you would like to contact the author directly, his address is:

			Donald R Elton
			Carolina System Software
			3207 Berkely Forest Dr
			Columbia, SC  29209-4111

Hope this helps,
  Dan Palermo
  dpalermo@usc.edu

GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA (Kelly Gray) (12/19/90)

Talk is Cheap is now a commercial program. It used to be shareware, but that
changed as of version 3.1
TIC is published by Q-Labs, Inc. You can reach them at (313) 331-0941

     <o_o>
|        Kelly Gray        |  The opinions expressed in the preceding |
|                          |  message are not guaranteed to represent |
| GRAY@ADMIN.HumberC.ON.CA |  any form of rational thought whatsoever |