[comp.sys.apple2] Orca/Pascal Updates

jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Wana) (12/16/90)

I was wondering if anybody knows if byteworks is working on a new version of
orca/pascal in the near future.

Also if they are working on a shell that works with system 5.03....ever since
i've switched the system software, prizm crashes a lot more than usual (i
haven't gotten a program running yet) and the text shell crashes in the
editor.

Also, has anybody ever actually gotten through to the phone number?
 ________________________                          __________________________
|                         ProLine: jwana@pro-harvest                         |
|                    Internet: jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com                     |
|                       UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!jwana                        |
|                  ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!jwana@nosc.mil                    |
|_______________ BITNET: jwana%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil _________________|

lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Raymond Lang) (12/16/90)

In <6350@crash.cts.com> jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Wana) writes:

>I was wondering if anybody knows if byteworks is working on a new version of
>orca/pascal in the near future.

>Also if they are working on a shell that works with system 5.03....ever since
>i've switched the system software, prizm crashes a lot more than usual (i
>haven't gotten a program running yet) and the text shell crashes in the
>editor.

>Also, has anybody ever actually gotten through to the phone number?

Yes, I got through a few weeks ago when I got stuck with something in
Pascal. I actually talked to Mike Westerfield, which surprised me. After
he gave me some hints about how to do what I was trying to do, I was bold
enough to ask about upgrades. He said that since he was finished with
Orca/C for the time being he was very close to releasing upgrades to his
other products. His order of priorities is: (1) Orca/M, (2) Prizm, and
(3) Pascal. He is painfully aware of the problems with Prizm but wanted
to get some things done on the assembler first. Just two days ago, I
received the upgrade offer for Orca/M, so I presume it won't be much
longer before he'll be finished with Prizm. My own guess is that Pascal
probably won't be ready until the spring, but who knows?

Ray
lang@rex.cs.tulane.edu

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (12/18/90)

In article <6350@crash.cts.com> jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Wana) writes:
>Also if they are working on a shell that works with system 5.03....ever since
>i've switched the system software, prizm crashes a lot more than usual (i
>haven't gotten a program running yet) and the text shell crashes in the
>editor.

I don't have Prizm, but I've used the Orca/M text shell extensively with
System Disk 5.03 and haven't had any problems yet.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        |     "My ganglion is stuck in

acmfiu@serss0.fiu.edu (ACMFIU) (12/19/90)

In article <6350@crash.cts.com> jwana@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Wana) writes:
>I was wondering if anybody knows if byteworks is working on a new version of
>orca/pascal in the near future.

orca/pascal v1.3 which will be done after mike finishes the new shell (v2.0),
will be mainly bug fixes and possible some new features.

>Also if they are working on a shell that works with system 5.03....ever since
>i've switched the system software, prizm crashes a lot more than usual (i
>haven't gotten a program running yet) and the text shell crashes in the
>editor.

prizm, i think, will be done before/after orca/pascal.

>Also, has anybody ever actually gotten through to the phone number?

if you get through, tell mike to make orca/pascal v1.3 able to handle
arrays, records, etc > 64K.