[comp.sys.apple2] Your favorite subroutines/macros

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (12/19/90)

Now that we have a sources newsgroup, I think we should make
use of it for something OTHER than C sources (c is nice, but
hyperc don't cut the mustard - you GS folks should count yourselves
among the lucky for what you DO have in C compilers).

Basic and assembly seem to be the most common languages for the
// (GS excluded for this post because I am feeling left out and
you guys can discuss your toolbox calls whenever else you want
but you can keep reading because I'm sure you can contribute too),
basic because it's easiest and most available and assembly because
it's quickest. I know pascal is kinda popular but hey, basic and
assembly (within limits; I know you can only do so much with the
mini-assembler) are free.

What I would like to see (and am quite willing to participate in)
is the posting of our favorite subroutines and assembler macros.
These should be in the public domain (and of course, the author should
always be properly credited in the source code :-)). I'm thinking
of things like...

(for basic):
  input-anything routines
  "print using" simulation
  number/text formatting
  utilities written in assembly to clear the screen in different
     ways, do graphic manipulations, play sounds, etc.

(for assembly - more ideas here):
  text printing by one of many different methods
  fancy input routines
  program relocation (many methods)
  macros for number manipulation - multiply, divide, add, 1 or
    2-byte numbers, etc.
  scrolling the 80-column screen smoothly on unenhanced //e's
  ways of simulating basic's "on x goto ..." (for menus, etc.)
  encoding error messages and decoding them
  hi-res manipulations
  number format conversions: input string to hex, hex to decimal, etc.

etc., etc. You get the idea. Using this collection of routines,
we wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel every time we want to
write a new program, but go to our subroutine/macro libraries.
Sometimes there is one "best" way to go about something, like
adding two 2-byte numbers, but there's nothing wrong with actually
documenting this and having everything available in one place.

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (12/20/90)

In article <90352.234137ART100@psuvm.psu.edu> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>Now that we have a sources newsgroup, I think we should make
>use of it for something OTHER than C sources (c is nice, but
>Basic and assembly seem to be the most common languages for the
>// (GS excluded for this post because I am feeling left out and
>What I would like to see (and am quite willing to participate in)
>is the posting of our favorite subroutines and assembler macros.

Why not? I'm all in favor of it. Who says 'C' is the only language anyway? I'd suggest that ALL languages be represented in some form or another. If you're
lucky enuf to have a compiler to be able to use it then why not? After all
the name of the group isn't 'comp.sources.apple2.gsonly.hyperConly'.

Dan
--
        /  \   /  \                                     // Long Live the  \