[comp.sys.apple2] A Few Questions ...

curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) (12/16/90)

A couple of questions:

(1) Is there any sort of init that would allow me to change the default
    background colors of the desktop.  I know about the Desk Color NDA,
    but I want to change the actual pallette, and get rid of those
    yucky dithered colors.  I want just black, white, the dark blue
    like the border color, and yellow.  This should be possible, and
    I don't care what it might do to the color apple menu. I would like
    to have the background the dark blue color, like SNOWTERM does,
    but with all of my software.

(2) A school that I am consulting for has a network of GS's.  They would
    like to use Twilight Companion, which blanks the text screen.  Is
    there any way to make Twilight Companion to check to see if the old
    280x192 graphics mode is on and blank that as well.  They use
    a lot of the old MECC software, and would like to have the screen
    blanked when the students leave the lab for any duration.  My under-
    standing is that the Twilight CDEV only blanks the GS specific graphics
    modes, and Twilight Companion blanks only text screens.

I would appreciate any insight on the above problems!

Matt Curfman                                                  Technovelty. Inc.
curfmanm@prism.cs.orst.edu                              Oregon State University

     OSU says what it says. I say what I say. We don't say the same thing.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (12/16/90)

curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:

>(1) Is there any sort of init that would allow me to change the default
>    background colors of the desktop.  I know about the Desk Color NDA,
>    but I want to change the actual pallette, and get rid of those
>    yucky dithered colors.  I want just black, white, the dark blue
>    like the border color, and yellow.  This should be possible, and
>    I don't care what it might do to the color apple menu. I would like
>    to have the background the dark blue color, like SNOWTERM does,
>    but with all of my software.

Heh, heh.. I already have an NDA that turns the main desktop to gray scale (no
dithering, just four gray levels) but _only_ when you select it. Writing an
init or something that works automatically is not too tough but I haven't
actually done it before.

Mail me so we can discuss the details.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec16.071328.6991@usenet@scion.CS.ORST.EDU>,
curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:
> (1) Is there any sort of init that would allow me to change the default
>     background colors of the desktop.  I know about the Desk Color NDA,
>     but I want to change the actual pallette, and get rid of those
>     yucky dithered colors.  I want just black, white, the dark blue
>     like the border color, and yellow.  This should be possible, and
>     I don't care what it might do to the color apple menu. I would like
>     to have the background the dark blue color, like SNOWTERM does,
>     but with all of my software.

There is a program that allows you to change the desktop pattern
for the Finder.  There is a CDEV (CDEV.COLOR) that will change the background
for all programs to whatever you want (pattern or picture).  I currently
have my desktop set to all BLUE (yep, like snowterm).  Works like a charm.

> (2) A school that I am consulting for has a network of GS's.  They would
>     like to use Twilight Companion, which blanks the text screen.  Is
>     there any way to make Twilight Companion to check to see if the old
>     280x192 graphics mode is on and blank that as well.  They use
>     a lot of the old MECC software, and would like to have the screen
>     blanked when the students leave the lab for any duration.  My under-
>     standing is that the Twilight CDEV only blanks the GS specific graphics
>     modes, and Twilight Companion blanks only text screens.

Question: Are they running MECC software from GS/OS?  (i.e. Do they boot
into GS/OS then run the MECC programs from the Finder?)
If so, Twilite Companion could be modified to do it with little problem.
(I wrote it <grin>)  Twilite CDEV only works for GS/OS desktop programs so it
can't do it and can't be modified to do it.

Let me know.  (It might be a while.  I won't have a way to get into my
mailbox until at least Dec 29th, maybe longer, starting tomorrow)

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or