[comp.sys.apple2] Amiga Unix

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/16/90)

I'm not really sure about the Amiga Unix thing, but I know that there IS (or
is shortly going to be) an "Amiga 3000UX", which is supposed to run Unix (or
a close facsimile thereof).

- Andrew (aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu  or  AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET)

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (12/17/90)

In article <90350.034346AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>I'm not really sure about the Amiga Unix thing, but I know that there IS (or
>is shortly going to be) an "Amiga 3000UX", which is supposed to run Unix (or
>a close facsimile thereof).

It exists; I saw several of them at the Commodore booth at Comdex a
few weeks ago.  One of them was running X-windows with a genlock and
camcorder so that what the camera saw appeared in one of the windows.
Another one looked like it was trying to do a command-line shell, but
someone logged out and nobody knew how to log in again.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (12/18/90)

Someone that I work with is an Amiga lover and he showed me a writeup on the
existing UNIX for the Amiga.  It's been around for awile but it's not to
heavily supported/used.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (MicroBrain) (12/18/90)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET wrote:
>I'm not really sure about the Amiga Unix thing, but I know that there IS (or
>is shortly going to be) an "Amiga 3000UX", which is supposed to run Unix (or
>a close facsimile thereof).

Well, just to put my 2 cents in, the Amiga UNIX is the first full
commercial release of a System V release 4 UNIX system.  And no I don't
own one, and prob'ly will never have the money to buy one until they
are obsolete, but I do think the Amiga is probably the best micro out
there.  I like my GS and I use it everyday, but if I were to buy a
computer today it would definitely be an Amiga 3000.

-- John

      jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |     show me that you still care."

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (12/20/90)

>Someone that I work with is an Amiga lover and he showed me a writeup on the
>existing UNIX for the Amiga.  It's been around for awile but it's not to
>heavily supported/used.
>
><< MCT >>

BZZZT!  Wrong answer. <grin>

Unix SVR4 for the Amiga hasn't been released to the general public as of this
date.  Maybe they were talking about a Unix clone called MINIX.  The release
version of Unix is a full AT&T licensed version.

-- Bob

______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854