[comp.sys.apple2] Atari 2600 / Apple II

In article <90347.204031AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>The top view that reminds you of Atari 2600 games...
>
>Ummm.... Not to be picky or anything, but isn't the Atari 2600 sort of an old,
>obsolete, and out-of-date machine?  Those aren't really the things I'd strive
>to be similar to, if I were a new program.

	I guess this will be sort of a "flame" (ick, I hate that word, but
it's the only word some'll understand)..

	I hate to tell you, but you're an Apple II owner, another machine
that many many people call "an old, obsolete, and out-of-date machine"...
I'm not going to try to say that that isn't true of the Atari 2600, I'm
just saying it's kind of funny for you (and me), owners of machines
many other people consider old and obsolete, to be calling ANYTHING else
old and obsolete. When did the Atari 2600 come out? 1978? Hmm... Sounds
remarkably close to the time when the apple // came out!

	Yes, I admit that the Atari 2600 isn't anywhere near the
state of the art (neither is the Apple // in many ways), but it's remarkable
how much use I and my housemates have gotten out of it last year and this
year... My housemates and I got into a discussion about the Atari 2600 last
year, and I decided to drag mine out of the place it had been sitting for many
years. But I (and the others) realized that many many of the games are still
very fun to play, even more fun in the long run than newer games with better
graphics. That's because gameplay is the real test for games...
Great graphics and sound are just the icing on the cake. That's why games
like Tetris and Shanghai are so popular.

	In fact, I hope to someday write a modem/network game that's
very similar to the Atari 2600 Baseball game... It was/is simplicity
at it's best, and still an awful lot of fun to play.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (12/15/90)

Gee whiz... mention one thing that somehow remotely cuts down somebody's toy,
and people get all upset.  I realize that there isn't such a thing as a
"state-of-the-art" Apple II.  It struck me as funny that the person was
reminded of the 2600 by a new piece of equipment.

- Andrew.

Internet: aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu

P.S.  It wasn't meant to be a "flame" or even anything similar.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (12/17/90)

On Sat, 15 Dec 90 01:33:22 GMT The Unknown User said:
>many other people consider old and obsolete, to be calling ANYTHING else
>old and obsolete. When did the Atari 2600 come out? 1978? Hmm... Sounds
>remarkably close to the time when the apple // came out!

Yes... the ORIGINAL Apple ][, but the GS came out in 1986.  I think the point
of his message was that, we (Apple // owners/users) want      a positive
image of the Apple ][ line and that making games that looked like Atari 2600
games wasn't really something to brag about.

P.S.  I'm not sure about this, but didn't the 2600 come out before '78?
      I'm almost positive that we got our long before that, but I could
      be wrong

>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
>|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |
>\   "Dammit Bev, is it you inside or is it the clown?" -IT by Stephen King    /

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--   mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (12/20/90)

Just for the record, the Atari 2600 came out in 1977.  I have one of the low,
low serial number units.  Still works, too! :)
| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |