[comp.sys.apple2] Mac Emulator on disk

sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/13/90)

Pardon me, but will all this Duet talk, it seems that perhaps none of you have
ever seen AMax on an amiga system.

If you haven't, you may find it interesting that I have seen, with my own eyes,
a friend of mine boot up AMax on his Amiga 1000 (one meg), a one-disk affair,
with no external hardware, set some parameters, and hit go, and WHALA, here
comes a perfect macintosh screen look-alike asking for the system disk.  He
pops in his mac system disk, and whala, up comes the finder.  He ran Macwrite,
macpaint, excel, and some other dandy programs for me.

This alone would be enough reason to go out and buy an Amiga... it emulates
a mac almost perfectly with no additional hardware!  (one note:  If you have
moral problems with using a copy of the actual mac ROM in disk form, created
by a pirate who's name I forget, you will be required to either use the Amax
similar rom provided legally, or buy the amax card and plug in an actual Mac
rom that you obtain yourself.  Also a mac drive is necessary to avoid disk
conversions, buit it's not necessary)...  by the way, full screen mac graphics
are available in interlace mode.

Go buy an amiga... the GS is a lost cause

BW (target of FTA's silly retaliations... just wait til xmas)

-no lame macros-

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (12/14/90)

From sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:

> This alone would be enough reason to go out and buy an Amiga...

     I never could justify buying a computer just so I could run the software
for another platform.  If I wanted to run Mac software, I would buy a IIsi.
If I want Amiga games, I will buy an Amiga.  Period.

> Go buy an amiga... the GS is a lost cause

     Gee thanks for the reminder... (drip, drip...) So has comp.sys.amiga been
so quiet of late that you had to find some other newsgroup to infest???

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
/   Lives On!!   \ |:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/15/90)

I'll consider it, we'll see....

Do any of these Amiga beasts support a Unix platform?

If I'm going to invest in a whole other system, I'd like something
that would run Unix and possibly support making the system into
a net site.

Right now A/UX, NeXTStep and System V for the 386s seem to be the choices.
If there is something similar on the Amiga I would like to know about it.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (12/17/90)

In article <139800049@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, sec20750@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Pardon me, but will all this Duet talk, it seems that perhaps none of you have
> ever seen AMax on an amiga system.
>
> This alone would be enough reason to go out and buy an Amiga... it emulates
> a mac almost perfectly with no additional hardware!  (one note:  If you have
> moral problems with using a copy of the actual mac ROM in disk form, created
> by a pirate who's name I forget, you will be required to either use the Amax
> similar rom provided legally, or buy the amax card and plug in an actual Mac
> rom that you obtain yourself.  Also a mac drive is necessary to avoid disk
> conversions, buit it's not necessary)...  by the way, full screen mac graphics
> are available in interlace mode.

I hate bringing this up in an Apple newsgroup, but I thought we might as
well have a well informed group of readers.

The Atari also has a Mac emulator, which is more polished and refined than
the Amiga one. It allows you to read and write Mac disks without a Mac
drive, has no problems with putting a Mac partition on your hard drive (a
must for any sort of Mac work, unless you are very fond of the floppy disk
shuffle!), runs 20% faster than a Mac plus, and has a 30% larger screen
than a Mac plus. (640X400) It requires you to buy the Mac ROMS, and checks
for Eproms. (To keep the pirates out!) But with the low priced Mac classic,
it would almost make more sense to buy one of them instead of an emulator,
UNLESS you already have an ST.

> Go buy an amiga... the GS is a lost cause

I would not call the GS a lost cause. If it does everything you want it to
do, then what else do you want in a system. A GS is a lot like my ST (well,
my ST is a lot more powerful :*) ), but I do not see me buying another
computer for the next 3 years. The Amiga is OK, but a little over-priced,
even with the educational discounts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chipb@FtCollins.NCR.com (Chip.Brewster) (12/21/90)

In article <18827@netcom.UUCP>, avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) writes:

> Do any of these Amiga beasts support a Unix platform?

There sure is!  It's called the A3000/UX.  The DEC/JAN 1991 issue of
".info" has a good article on it.  To summarize:

    Commodore is expected to give an official announcement at UNIForum
    in Dallas in January.

    Amiga 3000 25MHz 68030 computer
    5MB RAM or 9MB RAM expandable to 16MB on motherboard
    100MB, 19ms Quantum hard disk drive
    880K 3.5" floppy
    OS - UNIX System V Release 4 or AmigaDOS 2.0
    XWindows, Open Look, TCP/IP, NFS, AT&T C compiler
    Expansion for 286 AT bridgeboard, ethernet board

Check out comp.sys.amiga.

Chip Brewster
UUCP: {ncr-sd,uunet}!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!bach!chipb
ARPA: Chip.Brewster@FtCollins.NCR.com
USPS: NCR Microelectronics, 2001 Danfield Ct MS470A, Ft Collins, CO, 80525
BELL: (303) 223-5100 ext. 423