[comp.sys.apple2] GS BASIC

In article <1990Dec17.212732.12062@hoss.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer T. H.) writes:
>Am I the only one who knew about GS BASIC?  It was an actual BASIC for the
>IIgs, which I believe has been discontinued.

	I guess I'm too much into high level languages nowadays (C mainly),
but I'd have no use for GS Basic.. or any other BASIC that wasn't in ROM.
That's the nice thing about AppleSoft.. it's ALWAYS there..

	If I spend my time booting up and compiling (it is a compiled
BASIC isn't it?) a BASIC program, I might as well do it in C or something
like that.
--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (12/18/90)

T. H.) writes:
>>Am I the only one who knew about GS BASIC?  It was an actual BASIC for the
>>IIgs, which I believe has been discontinued.
>
>	I guess I'm too much into high level languages nowadays (C mainly),
>but I'd have no use for GS Basic.. or any other BASIC that wasn't in ROM.
>That's the nice thing about AppleSoft.. it's ALWAYS there..
>
>	If I spend my time booting up and compiling (it is a compiled
>BASIC isn't it?) a BASIC program, I might as well do it in C or something
>like that.
>--
>/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs
\
>|WRITE TO ORIGIN ABOUT ULTIMA VI //e and IIGS! Mail me for addresses, & info. |
>\   "Dammit Bev, is it you inside or is it the clown?" -IT by Stephen King    /

   actually, it was an interpreted BASIC.  It was kinda nice though and it
supported the toolbox.  TML Basic was compatible with GS Basic I think.
you could take programs in GS basic and import them in to TML BASIC and
compile them.  GS Basic was nice though.

       Collin Douglas

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

--
  Collin Douglas                  |  "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt
                                  |   and uncertainty."
  cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  |
  America Online:  CollinD        |   -Douglas Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide

ronl@pnet91.cts.com (Ron Lewin) (12/21/90)

I definately must jump in here and point out that Micol Advanced BASIC is
designed to be the choice for Applesoft programs on the GS.  We've made it
extremely easy to use for Applesoft programmers, and have added capabilities
to use many GS specific features (sound, graphics, mouse) without any
knowledge of the toolbox.  Many of our happiest customers are ex-TML BASIC
users and ex-AC/BASIC users who have come over to Micol Advanced BASIC GS out
of frustratation, and have been pleasantly surprised by what they have found.
Of course, we still offer a full toolbox interface which allows you the
greatest flexibility.

We sell tonnes of these to schools who want to teach structured programming on
the Apple II, without scaring kids off by dumping them straight into Pascal
where they have to learn 100 new concepts before they can do a HELLO WORLD.

We've got a networked discussion going about Micol Advanced BASIC.  If you
(our your proline site) would like to be part of the discussion, send a
request to:

  generic!pnet91!pro-micol!info.micol@zoo.toronto.edu

You can get more info on MAB by mailing me (please do NOT use the .cts.com
address) or calling our office at (416) 495 - 6864 EST.  Thanks.

Ron

Please send all replies to:
INet: zoo.toronto.edu!generic!pnet91!ronl
or
    : ronl@pnet91.cts.com