[comp.sys.apple2] help with GS/OS and polling 3.5" drives

suem@cbnewsc.att.com (susan.mc kinnell) (12/04/90)

I recently acquired a copy of GS/OS version 5.0.3.  This copy
works for the person from whom I got it, but when I boot with
it, then try any other program, e.g. GS ShrinkIt, and try to
open anything, my 3.5" drives start polling as fast as they can
and the screen display of files to select switches back and forth
as fast as the screen can be painted.  Needless to say, this
makes it impossible to work with this OS.  I have a Transwarp
card installed in the GS, which probably speeds up the polling,
but I have no idea *why* the polling occurs at all.  Is there a
possible hardware bug in my 3.5" drives that has not shown up till
now?  I believe my original (drive #1) 3.5" drive has the problem
causing continual polling of drives in slot 6 when you scan through
to slot 6 (I'm a little hazy here, but I remember *some* sort of
problem with these drives and slot 6; however, I use my own card
for my 5.25" drives and never scan through to slot 6 anyway).
I would appreciate any help anyone can offer as I would like to
use 5.0.3, but cannot use it as it currently works on my system.

Sue McKinnell
--
Sue McKinnell    ...!att!ihlpf!suem	IH 6N311      x5313
		or ...!att!ihlpf.ATT.COM!suem	or suem@ihlpf.ATT.COM

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec3.192618.9328@cbnewsc.att.com> suem@cbnewsc.att.com (susan.mc kinnell) writes:
>I recently acquired a copy of GS/OS version 5.0.3.  This copy
>works for the person from whom I got it, but when I boot with
>it, then try any other program, e.g. GS ShrinkIt, and try to
>open anything, my 3.5" drives start polling as fast as they can
>and the screen display of files to select switches back and forth
>as fast as the screen can be painted.
>[...] I use my own card
>for my 5.25" drives and never scan through to slot 6 anyway).

>Sue McKinnell

Sue, please describe your hardware in more detail, especially what
cards and drivers you have.

The Standard File tool set (which is what does "Open..." dialogs, etc)
in 5.0.3 is smart enough to automatically switch to a disk when you
stick it in.

It *sounds* like your system thinks some disk is being inserted over
and over, but isn't actually there when it goes to read it.  That's
why I'm curious about your hardware, especially any 3rd-party cards
(because we obviously tested it pretty well with Apple hardware
before it shipped).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.