[comp.sys.apple2] more gs-shrinkit problems

magras@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu (Jean C Magras) (12/07/90)

I've solved my other gs-shrinkit problems by getting gs-shrinkit
v1.0.3 from brownvm apple2 list and system disk 5.0.3 but now this
thing just hangs right after putting up the menu bar. The watch
appears, a bell goes off, and it freezes.

I have a Rom 1 apple 2gs , 1 3.5 inch and 1 5.25 drives, 1.25
meg of memory with an avatex 1200 modem and an imagewriter II.

1736 burcham drive
e. lansing mi 48823
517-337-2267
P.s I'm leaving on Dec 12, so puuhhhllleeassee help me!!!

jon@pro-ice.cts.com (Jon Spatz) (12/11/90)

I have also been having some problems with the new shrinkit... I think you
need rom 3.. Not sure though.. Is there any BIG difference between 1 and 3???
At school you can not rut paintworks plus on the rom 3... So.. That makes it
useless to me.

 ProLine:  jon@pro-ice                  | Jon Spatz (jon)  | Do you fall
 Internet: jon@pro-ice.cts.com          | pro-ice.cts.com  | asleep on the
 UUCP:     crash!pro-ice!jon            | (215)/562-4928   | toilet while
 ARPA:     crash!pro-ice!jon@nosc.mil   | 300 to 9600 Baud | eating OREO's?

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (12/15/90)

I have Rom 3, and I still have learned not to trust GSHK very far.

I probably should sent a bug report, because this seems to be happening
with every version I get of GSHK.

Namely, it seems like the quit routine is flaky. Somehow, whenever I
try to quit normally from that program, there's a 50-50 chance it will
crash. Not only will it crash, but it will wipe out the Ramdisk as well.
I've had a couple times I've downloaded something into Ramdisk, used
GSHK to unshrink it into Ramdisk, and quitted, only to have the system
reboot and wipe out both the archive and the unpacked files.

These days I often just give the three-fingered salute to get out of GSHK.
The ramdisk doesn't get blown that way.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) (12/20/90)

In a recent message Avery Colter says, "I have Rom 3, and I still have learned
not to trust GSHK very far.

I probably should sent a bug report, because this seems to be happening
with every version I get of GSHK.
"
Avery, yes, please do send Andy a bug report.  I don't know if he has time to
read this group at Apple, but I do know that he would appreciate a report if
you are using the most current version of GSHK.

| Scott Gentry                * ALPE   AFL Scott         *  I never said that!|
| 2051 Mercator Drive         * GEnie  W.GENTRY          *     But you never  |
| Reston, VA 22091            * UUCP: uunet!ingr!ne1300! *         know!      |
| (703) 264-5652              *       brnded!scott       *        Do You?     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (12/23/90)

In article <m0imLGS-0000ByC@jartel.info.com> scottg@gnh-starport.cts.com (Scott Gentry) writes:
>In a recent message Avery Colter says, "I have Rom 3, and I still have learned
>not to trust GSHK very far.

Folks, blaming GSHK is not the answer--I have GSHK 1.0.3 running on both
a ROM 1 and a ROM 3 system, and I know Andy uses it on a ROM 3 here at
work and a ROM 1 at home.

It WORKS RELIABLY!

There's *something* wrong with your download, or some DA or Init is messing
you up, or maybe you don't have 5.0.x installed quite right.

In any case, if it "bonks" during launch, type Ctrl-T Return and post
what the screen says.  Sounds like it crashed into the monitor, but I
want to know exactly how!
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.