[comp.sys.apple2] Rogue

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (12/13/90)

About a week ago I was asking questions about Moria GS.  Well, in one of the
many pieces of mail I received (thanks to everyone who helped out!) I found
out (from Andy McFadden, no less <grin>) that a similar game called Rogue is
out there.  I'm not sure if this is GS only or what.  Problem is, I have NO
access to ANY FTP sites.  So, I was wondering if it wouldn't be too much
trouble for someone to please post it to the apple binaries.  If it is really
really huge and too much trouble for ANYONE (I know how large some programs
can get even after shrinking and binscii'ing) I would request that someone
mail me a copy (as it US Snail Mail) with all expense going to me, of course.

Also, the dox for this program are called "The Guide to the Dungeons of Doom"?
I'd need those, too.  Thanks.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon
           We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little looney....

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (12/15/90)

In article <6294@crash.cts.com>,
tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
> About a week ago I was asking questions about Moria GS.  Well, in one of the
> many pieces of mail I received (thanks to everyone who helped out!) I found
> out (from Andy McFadden, no less <grin>) that a similar game called Rogue is
> out there.  I'm not sure if this is GS only or what.  Problem is, I have NO
> access to ANY FTP sites.  So, I was wondering if it wouldn't be too much
> trouble for someone to please post it to the apple binaries.  If it is really
> really huge and too much trouble for ANYONE (I know how large some programs
> can get even after shrinking and binscii'ing) I would request that someone
> mail me a copy (as it US Snail Mail) with all expense going to me, of course.

Hmm. I do have something on my Hard drive called ROGUE which is basically
a IIgs version of PC-HACK.  It is purely ascii/mousetext graphics.  Is this
the Rogue that everyone else is talking about?  I can upload it to
comp.binaries.apple2 if there is desire.  I don't think it is super-large
or anything.  (Requires a IIgs.  Can be run from Finder or APW/Orca/ECP shell)

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

sxaeg@acad3.alaska.edu (greenwalt art e) (12/19/90)

  Could anyone tell me what "Rogue" is?  I appreciate the
post of it to comp.binaries but the intro that came with it
while giving much info about its characteristics and history
says nothing of what it is.
  Thanks.....Art in Alaska

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) (12/20/90)

I tried email, but acad3.alaska.edu fails to believe you exsist.

In article <1990Dec18.174245.4218@ims.alaska.edu> sxaeg@acad3.alaska.edu writes:

>  Could anyone tell me what "Rogue" is?

Someone previously mentioned what rogue  is.   I'll  do  it  again.   Also,
please note- I recently posted the atou/utoa unix shell script. The program
works A-okay, but my spelling didn't.  Please excuse this as I can  program
whole  projects  in  my  head,  I  can do calculus in my head, but I  can't
spell.  Maybe  someone will buy me  a  handheld  spell  checker   for   the
holidays.  Ofcourse I wouldn't need it IF the one in BeagleWrite GS worked.

One other note:  I know for some, talking about these games can be as heated
as talking about the merits of the GS vs. Mac, so don't shoot me if I've
not explained the games well enough.

                           -- original email --

ROGUE as it pertains to the Apple IIgs:

It is an adventure game made popular on the VAX/VMS and on many  many  Unix
machines.   Actually,  it's  a clone of the game HACK (NETHACK).  (There is
actually a hack newsgroup).  NetHack has evolved to  be  very  complex  and
rich -- in form and program -- which is probably why there is no GS version
yet.  I think you can get nethack for unix, vms, amiga, and the mac. If you
want the full Rogue history it is probably w/i the docs somewhere.

Rogue/Hack/Moria (Moria, available from the apple2-l listserv@utarlvm1) are
all  adventure  games  in  which you move your on screen (text) self around
(You're represented by an ascii character) through different levels of maps
caves, or dungeons.  (no need to keep track of the map by hand). In MoriaGS
it seems I remember being able to  print  the  current  map  from  w/i  the
program.  I haven't played MoriaGS in some time.  But, back to rogue et al.

You explore each level and along the  way  you  fight  off  enemies,  while
finding   gold,  potions, scrolls, and better weapons and armor... assuming
you  can  surrvive.   Your  enemies  are  things  like  orcs,   hobgoblins,
rattlesnakes, ice monsters, and a zillion names I can't even remember.   In
NetHack you can have pets, and tame monsters and do other neato things.

All the games require a little learning curve but once you know how to play
one,  you pretty much can play the others using similar commands.  Once you
get past the user interface these game are very addicting (hence newsgroups
are made just for them.).  And, for those of you using unix, once you  know
how to play these games you're on your way  to  learning  how to use the vi
editor as the default movement commands are the same!

When RogueGS was first posted I played it a bit.  It's a pretty  good  port
of  the  original rogue game.  However, Hack would be awsome on the GS.  As
it is, MoriaGS may be a bit more satisfying because  it  is  more  complex/
richer  than rogue.  With the 2 other games you take on roles such as being
a samuri, archeologist, wizard, valkari... (etc., etc).  And, in nethack you
can   be   female   or  male.  In the game Rogue, you are ofcourse a rouge.
However,  RogueGS  is quite good to start with  because  it  is   a   short
download compared to MoriaGS, and  it  is  relatively easy to progress in.

Evan

--
Evan Ron Aussenberg
erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (12/23/90)

It's kind of a predecessor to Moria.  It is a GS only game, and not as
expansive as Moria, but fun nonetheless.

BTW: to the gentleman that posted it to the binaries... thanks much.  I
appreciate it but lost your address to thank you personally!