[comp.sys.apple2] CD ROM

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/11/90)

I saw a CD ROM for the Macintosh on sale in a catalog.  Can I take that CD ROM
and hook it up to a GS through the scsi port and will it work properly?

Thanks.

mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/13/90)

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:

>I saw a CD ROM for the Macintosh on sale in a catalog.  Can I take that CD ROM
>and hook it up to a GS through the scsi port and will it work properly?

If you have a Rev. C apple SCSI or the "high speed" DMA SCSI, all you have to
do is add it to the chain (you may have to shuffle some terminators depending
on how many devices you have and where your termination currently is).

ProDOS 8 will recognize ProDOS partitions on the CD immediately.

GS/OS will recognize the CD ROM's after you install a driver (make sure you
use the installer that came with the DMA SCSI card if that's what you have).
GS/OS will also recognize High Sierra (I think ISO 9660 too but I'm not sure)
partitions &/or CDs once you have installed CD ROM on your boot disk and
rebooted. (Installer will probably force you to reboot because it knows this.)

If you have a RamFast, you'll need to wait for a ROM upgrade from CVT which is
supposed to be in the works.

I don't know about the other SCSI cards that are out there.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <1990Sep12.190603.9513@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>
>>I saw a CD ROM for the Macintosh on sale in a catalog.  Can I take that CD ROM
>>and hook it up to a GS through the scsi port and will it work properly?
>
>If you have a Rev. C apple SCSI or the "high speed" DMA SCSI, all you have to
>do is add it to the chain (you may have to shuffle some terminators depending
>on how many devices you have and where your termination currently is).

[stuff about automatically working deleted]

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

All this is true *if* the drive behaves at a hardware level exactly like
Apple's CD SC.  The firmware on the card sends the SCSI command that our drive
expects, as does the GS/OS driver.

Some of the third-party Mac hard drives do not behave like Apple's drive yet
work fine anyway because they're shipped with a Macintosh drive.  If this is
the case, the drive will *not* work with GS/OS without a driver and may not
work with ProDOS 8 at all.

Check the facts before purchasing.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (09/14/90)

In article <0093C866D650B7E0.00002F5E@dcs.simpact.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>I saw a CD ROM for the Macintosh on sale in a catalog.  Can I take that CD ROM
>and hook it up to a GS through the scsi port and will it work properly?

It might. If it's Apple's CD ROM drive it definately will. Just make sure that
you use the installer to install the necessary drivers before you use it.

If it's not Apple's then I'd contact the manufacturer and ask.
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
|Vernon Williams					| vw3@cunixf         |
|Evening Supervisor/Library Assistant			+--------------------+
|Thomas J. Watson Library of Business and Economics	| 130 Uris Hall      |

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (09/14/90)

> I saw a CD ROM for the Macintosh on sale in a catalog.  Can I take that CD ROM
> and hook it up to a GS through the scsi port and will it work properly?

> ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
> UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
> Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
> ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

Nope. You'll need a driver for the CD-ROM player, and the only player that has
a driver (at this time, anyway) is the AppleCD SC. While working on a CD-ROM
disc for the Apple II, I had opportunities to attempt using several CD-ROM
drives on my IIgs, and all except the Apple drive failed to operate properly
out-of-the-box, for the same reason: no driver support.

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward             ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
INET: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com           BIX: edward2
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil    CIS: 73220,1624
 BIT: edward%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil  America Online: Elseware

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/19/90)

Have you tried this method before, Todd?

mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/19/90)

Is there anyway to check that out before purchasing? From this company, all
sales final.

Thanks

Mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (12/11/90)

A friend of mine has a MAC (Ugh!) and is willing to sell me his CD ROM For
practically nothing (Divorce sale).  Do I need to get any special software from
Apple to use it or do i only need the CD ROM driver installed??

Thanks

Mark

[ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo 218/262-3142  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST/Dual)]

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (12/12/90)

In article <m0ij6yN-0000CgC@jartel.info.com> penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:
>A friend of mine has a MAC (Ugh!) and is willing to sell me his CD ROM For
>practically nothing (Divorce sale).  Do I need to get any special software from
>Apple to use it or do i only need the CD ROM driver installed??
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

Plug and play (after installing the CD-ROM driver.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / BIX: Keving / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (12/13/90)

> A friend of mine has a MAC (Ugh!) and is willing to sell me his CD ROM For
> practically nothing (Divorce sale).  Do I need to get any special software
> from Apple to use it or do i only need the CD ROM driver installed??

That depends upon what model of CD-ROM drive that your friend has. If it's the
AppleCD SC, you'll have no problem: use the Installer to place the CD-ROM
drivers in your IIgs system files. However, if it's anyone else's drive,
particularly a non-Sony mechanism, you're on your own. I have yet to find a
non-Sony drive that works on a IIgs (or any Apple II, for that matter).
----
ProLine:  edward@pro-harvest                 BIX: edward2
Internet: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com         CIS: 73220,1624
UUCP:     crash!pro-harvest!edward           America Online: Elseware
ARPA:     crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil  GEnie: E.FLODEN

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (12/14/90)

From penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger):

> A friend of mine has a MAC (Ugh!) and is willing to sell me his CD ROM
> For practically nothing (Divorce sale).  Do I need to get any special
> software from Apple to use it or do i only need the CD ROM driver
> installed??

    Get your hands on the drive FIRST, THEN ask questions... you can't beat
that price on a CD-ROM drive!!! :)  (wish I had friends like that...)  Anyway,
you will need the file SCSI.Manager and SCSICD.Driver in your System folder,
and possibly the Sierra.FST (put it in just to be sure).  You will also need a
SCSI card, or another SCSI cable if you want to daisy-chain it to an existing
hard drive.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | Brian T. Tao           | UUCP: torag!pnet91!taob      |
/                \ | University of Toronto  | INET: taob@pnet91.cts.com    |
\  The Apple II  / | Scarberia, ON          |       taob@pro-micol.cts.com |
\                / |   "Computer guru?  Someone who got their computer a   |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ |    couple of weeks before you did." (Alvin Toffler)   |

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (12/24/90)

You mentioned the Sierra.FST file for the CDROM.  Where do I get my paws on
this????  is it on the System tools disks and installed by the installer???

Thanx